Apple plays fast and loose with defaults in iOS 14

I upgraded to iOS 14 on my iPhone SE. Yes, I can change the default web browser from Safari to Edge, and the default mail app from Mail to Outlook. But, if I restart the phone the defaults revert back to Safari and Mail.

Comments (17)

17 responses to “Apple plays fast and loose with defaults in iOS 14”

1. Avatar

j5

Same thing just happened to me. I have an iPhone 8 Plus, Edge & Outlook set as default, restarted, both were back to Safari & Mail. Is it Apple being nefarious...hm I don't know?

2. Avatar

StevenLayton

I enjoy a good tinfoil hat conspiracy as much as the next guy, but this is a bug that will be quickly fixed.

3. Avatar

dprozzo

The bug appears to be only partly fixed. The default browser is again reset to Safari if Edge is updated. I assume the same is true of Mail/Outlook, but I can't be sure because I deleted Mail.

4. Avatar

dprozzo

In an article at macrumors.com, Apple has acknowledged this as a bug and says that it will be fixed.

5. Avatar

ghostrider

Apple don't allow you to change from their default apps! My word, how could you even think such a thing. Apple always knows what's best for you!

6. Avatar

innitrichie

It's undoubtedly a bug. This wasn't tested during the betas because apps were not permitted to be updated to support setting the defaults. So now the bug is uncovered, it will be quickly fixed in a point release.

7. Avatar

Daninbusiness

In reply to lvthunder:

Probably - it's just a surprising one given the hype and anticipation around the feature, it's surprising that this wasn't caught before or simply wasn't prioritized to fix in the current release.

bkkcanuck

In reply to Daninbusiness:

Just the fact there were no beta testers for that function. During updating of Edge, it likely is temporarily removed and the settings get reset to defaults when the default app is removed. In the end, it depends on who is testing, and there ability to predict scenarios that might cause problems. I know that when I have made a defect and it got out of development but it is in QA testing - I cannot fix the issue without a tracking number since it is no longer in development. I usually make my own list locally (developers cannot add issues for some reason) and if not related to a reported issue I might wait a bit before reporting it (especially if I am overloaded)... I have on many occassions waited til near the end of the testing cycle before giving up on testers to find what I think should be obvious (or when my schedule lightens up a bit)... and in many cases it is over a month into testing before doing that. (pre-beta)

The beta testers themselves are more likely NOT to other apps during beta testing (like mail or browser) since those apps have not been updated - and testing what is not the latest internal build of those ... not the best allocation of time (I would expect beta testers of those apps would be doing that and reporting it there).

8. Avatar

phil_adcock

I decided to change back to Safari as my default simply because I use outlook and when I was clicking links that are suppose to launch my apps Chrome or Edge just couldn't carry on the task. Safari handled the jump just fine and would open the app with no issues. Chrome and Edge both launched the app after about 8 splash screens but then couldn't load the fulfillment tabs in each respective app.

Leave a Reply