Windows 10 1809 – did they fix WOL so it will wake up a shutdown desktop?

• Dec 15, 2018

Today I sent a magic packet to wake my desktop computers – the one which should not have started – Asrock EXtreme-4 running Windows 10 1809 actually woke up? Retested by shutting it down and sending a wake-up magic packet from my phone and watched it start through the boot cycle, into Windows 10.

Follow up – I have confirmed – same method as above – my other 2 desktop computers (GA-MA-790GP and GA-P35DS3L) running Windows 10 1809 have been woken via magic packet from shutdown – not sleep, or hibernation.

Edit post

Conversation 4 comments

• locust infested orchard inc

16 December, 2018 - 12:04 am

<p>It would appear that Clint Eastwood (The Man with No Name) has left his trademark cowboy hat and gun holster for Windows 10 networking.</p><p><br></p><p>Even the tough guys know the advantages of Windows over other pseudo-OSes that are in serious need of pondering over some thought provoking questions, such as, "you've gotta ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"</p><p><br></p><p>(Hint: answer is evidently not a chance in hell.)</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      16 December, 2018 - 12:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#382317">In reply to locust infested orchard inc:</a></em></blockquote><p>Wh… <em>What!? </em></p>

• Lauren Glenn

16 December, 2018 - 9:50 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#382320">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>Apparently that poster also got woken by a magic packet and needs to go back to sleep for a bit</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          17 December, 2018 - 1:47 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383542">In reply to alissa914:</a></em></blockquote><p>That individual’s magic packet might have been filled with LSD.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC