0 Comments – Part Deux

I bumped this thread yesterday and it *ahem* magically got deleted, so here goes again.

As noted in my original post, Premium articles show ‘0 comments’ for limited access visitors. For us poors, typically the number of comments is the deciding factor to unlock an article. We can see the speech-bubble graphic with the number that shows how many comments the article has, but when you scroll to the bottom, nada. And let’s face it, the comments are the secret sauce that we come here for, and for better or worse, what drives engagement and participation in the discourse that a high comment count article often sparks.

This has been a recurring issue for a while now, and there is some debate as to whether or not this is a feature or bug.

That aside, I just want to know if it will be fixed in 2022.

Conversation 12 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 December, 2021 - 8:24 am

<p>It was deleted because it was three years old.</p><p><br></p><p>Please email [email protected] with technical issues like this. </p>

• pecosbob04

30 December, 2021 - 10:53 am

<p>With all due respect Paul, that strategy is as useless as teats on a boar hog. I and others have done just exactly that and the result is NADA but a statement that we know and the current status is not the intended resolution. Look I get it we freeloaders are the lowest of low priority in the great scheme of things so do whatever you want, do away with the three free and tell peeps to pay for the goodies, but stop sending people to [email protected] for this issue as it is a total waste of keystrokes. Oh, and Happy New Year!</p>

• txag

30 December, 2021 - 6:25 pm

<p>Is it technical, or a policy issue?</p>

• pecosbob04

31 December, 2021 - 7:59 am

<p>I honestly have no idea. Maybe both or neither. My guess based on feedback is low priority compounded by overworked and understaffed tech department. The cynic in me also sees the ugly hand of marketing at work at least as it relates to upsell to the premium level as the solution to the three free component of the comment issue. Witness other comments in this thread. Also too, that was a suggested resolution that came from tech support so who knows.</p>

• Daishi

Premium Member
    30 December, 2021 - 3:03 pm

<p>There’s already a fix for this. </p><p><br></p><p>Don’t be a freeloading cheapskate and spend $7 a month for a subscription. Problem solved.</p>

• Dan

01 January, 2022 - 6:35 pm

<p>The WallStreet Journal is $4 a month all the time.</p>

• miamimauler

30 December, 2021 - 4:10 pm

<p><br></p><p><br></p><p>The site removed the ability to view comments in the Premium articles for non Premium users…The End. </p><p><br></p><p>It’s disappointing that they won’t just admit to it instead of disingenuously sending users to support but it is what it is.</p><p><br></p><p>Accept it and move on.</p>

• pecosbob04

30 December, 2021 - 4:41 pm

<p>"Accept it and move on." Yes Sir! </p><p>However the three free is not a stand alone issue. Comments are broken. Go back and try to edit your post. While the three free articles only effects a small number of us second class netizens the wider issues effect everyone and I can’t quite bring myself to think that it is working as intended. Great idea for a future article; Paul could write about the trials and tribulations of re-writing the comments component of the forums in some modern programming environment. Swift maybe‽</p><p><br></p>

• pecosbob04

30 December, 2021 - 4:59 pm

<p>"Paul could write about the trials and tribulations of re-writing the comments component of the forums in some modern programming environment. Swift maybe‽"</p><p><br></p><p>After posting the above I realized I forgot to add ‘Ala his notepad update series’, would’ve just edited but . . .</p>

• miamimauler

30 December, 2021 - 5:29 pm

<p>@<strong style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">pecosbob04</strong></p><p><br></p><p>Many of these issues have existed since the launch of the site. We know, they know yet they remain.</p><p><br></p><p>Many have complained before you. You’re beating a dead horse.</p><p><br></p><p>Clearly it’s not going to change so we either leave or learn to live with it. Personally, I choose to live with it due to the quality of Paul’s articles but you have to make your own choice.</p>

• reservoirmike

19 January, 2022 - 11:03 am

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Personally I find Paul’s Premium posts hit or miss, and while the comment count is still a good measuring stick, lacking the ability to actually view the comments is frustrating. Enough so that I have stopped unlocking the Premium ones almost entirely.</span></p>

• pecosbob04

11 January, 2022 - 1:37 pm

<p>Another comment regarding comments. This is not a problem it is a feature. The site at some time in the past decided peace and love was the order of the day and took away the ability to downvote a comment. Personally I disagree with this but it’s Pauls house and he makes the rules. But upon occasion for whatever reason I have registered an upvote either by fat-fingered accident or perhaps not thinking the comment through thoroughly enough. One might think you could re-click the upvote to delete the action. One would be wrong. Oh by the way does the notification system work for anyone?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC