Issues after updating to 1903

My mother-in-laws computer updated to 1903 about 2 weeks ago. I just found out yesterday and I’m trying to fix it remotely. The issues are that her photos app will not work, when she goes to settings, if she clicks on any of the options, the window will close. She also can not get a cursor or type in the search box. I was able to remotely reset the setting app using powershell and some instructions I found online but it will still not work. I tried to remove the update but everything was still broken afterwards. One question I had is would it be a bad idea to just update to 1909 and see if it fixes things? I can’t get to update and security from settings but can download the tool to do the update. Thanks for any help or additional ideas.

Conversation 3 comments

• jmwoods301

27 March, 2020 - 9:00 pm

<p>I would try to fix it before upgrading to 1909, as the problems may carry over.</p><p><br></p><p>You might consider doing a repair install using an in-place upgrade.</p><p><br></p><p>It will re-install Windows and allow you to keep your apps and personal data.</p><p><br></p><p>Either mount the Windows 10 1903 ISO, or use bootable Windows 10 media that you created. </p><p><br></p><p>In the root folder, double click on setup.exe</p><p><br></p><p>Select "Keep personal files and apps" when prompted.</p><p><br></p><p>That's it. </p><p><br></p>

• arnstarr

27 March, 2020 - 11:56 pm

<p>Try creating a new user local user profile and migrating her content over to it.</p><p>It is possible to reset a Windows Store app using the App Settings. Select the Photos app from the app list and click Advanced.</p>

• Sprtfan

28 March, 2020 - 12:00 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#534491">In reply to arnstarr:</a></em></blockquote><p>I've seen this mentioned elsewhere also. I'm trying to do this all remotely which makes it a little more difficult but I guess it should be doable. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC