Unsupported PC for Windows 11

I have been running Windows 11 ( 7th gen cpu ) since it came out and have not run into any problems, I want to run it on my big PC also 7th gen with no TMP but wonder if it’s going to be a problem down the line. Any advice?

Conversation 6 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    04 November, 2021 - 7:56 am

<p>Yes. Don’t worry about it.</p><p><br></p><p>What’s the worst that can happen? Microsoft literally turns off security updates? If that happens, you just have to go back to Windows 10. So be prepared with the latest Windows 10 install media, and make sure you’re configured such that all of your data is replicated to the cloud (OneDrive, etc.) so that the switch will be easy.</p><p><br></p><p>I wipe and replace Windows on PCs all the time. And going from zero to a fully-functioning PC with all apps and data up and running takes less than two hours. </p><p><br></p><p>Don’t sweat it.</p>

• allberry2001

04 November, 2021 - 8:39 am

<p>Thank you</p>

• dalek4ua

05 November, 2021 - 2:05 pm

<p>I wonder if Microsoft will block the updates from Installing or just block unsupported systems via Windows Update? It would be really interesting if one could download the latest cumulative update from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it manually on unsupported hardware. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      05 November, 2021 - 2:24 pm

<p>They aren’t yet. </p><p><br></p><p>Considering one can still (theoretically) update XP, Vista, and 7, it leans toward "they don’t give a crap". Likely it would require more work to set it up to block updates than it would ever be worth to them.</p>

• epguy40

08 November, 2021 - 11:31 am

<p>"It would be really interesting if one could download the latest cumulative update from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it manually on unsupported hardware."</p><p><br></p><p>that part is not a problem, dalek4ua</p><p>I can manually install cumulative updates like KB5006674 and KB5006746 onto an unsupported Win11 system with no issues.</p><p><br></p><p>the only updates that Microsoft may block to non-supported systems would be the big "feature updates"</p><p>we’ll see what happens when the first Win11 feature update comes out in late 2022 next year</p>

• Antonios

04 April, 2023 - 3:25 am

Microsoft has released the system requirements for Windows 11, and if your PC doesn’t meet these requirements, it may be considered an “unsupported PC.” Some of the reasons your PC may not be supported for Windows 11 include: Processor: Windows 11 requires a compatible 64-bit processor with at least 1 GHz clock speed, two or more cores, and a compatible System on a Chip (SoC). Older processors may not meet these requirements. RAM: Windows 11 requires at least 4GB of RAM, which may not be available on older PCs. Storage: Windows 11 requires at least 64GB of storage, which may not be available on older PCs. Graphics card: Windows 11 requires a DirectX 12 compatible graphics card or integrated GPU with a WDDM 2.0 driver, which may not be available on older PCs. If your PC doesn’t meet these requirements, it may not be possible to upgrade to Windows 11. However, you can continue to use Windows 10, which is still supported by Microsoft until 2025. You can also consider upgrading your PC’s hardware to meet the Windows 11 requirements or purchasing a new PC that comes with Windows 11 pre-installed. It’s important to note that running an unsupported PC on Windows 11 may result in issues such as system instability, security vulnerabilities, and compatibility problems with drivers and applications.

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC