Win 11 and processor compatibility

Do we think these processor requirements will stick? I get the idea to want people to have newer hardware, but I like to keep my devices that I use all on the same OS.

I have an old SP3 that I guess is not eligible and that seems bad enough, but I am really troubled by my current desktop not being upgradeable. I went through the BIOS and turned on TPM, and I thought it would all be good. I have 32GB, a 1080 Ti, and a 7700K. I’m guessing it’s the 7700K that is causing this. This processor should be plenty “new” enough IMO.

Does anyone think this requirement will be updated? I’m sure there will be a workaround, but I just don’t understand why this limitation has been put there in the first place as this is probably still a stronger overall gaming platform than an XSX.

Conversation 14 comments

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    29 June, 2021 - 4:09 pm

<p>I think they will let Intel 7th gen systems use Windows 11. If only for the fact Microsoft sells a $4500 computer that uses a 7th Gen chip.</p>

• Greg Green

29 June, 2021 - 4:36 pm

<p>The confusion they seem to have created with tpm and processor eligibility indicate to me these are more marketing ideas than engineering rules. Like when they said they couldn’t separate Kinect from the Xbox, then when sales slumped they managed to successfully separate Kinect from Xbox.</p><p><br></p><p>I think they’ll have to soften the rules on processors just because too many recent still strong processors are being excluded.</p>

• jhambi

29 June, 2021 - 4:38 pm

<p>Forgive my ignorance but why cant TPM be a put on a USB stick ? </p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      29 June, 2021 - 7:03 pm

<p>That’s not the way it was designed. Plus do you trust a USB stick not to be modified? Would you want it stuck in your PC at all times?</p>

• jhambi

29 June, 2021 - 7:40 pm

<p>How is it any different than the modules that plug into a board? Could they not be modified ? For a desktop PC I wouldn’t mind a USB solution.</p>

• Greg Green

30 June, 2021 - 1:37 pm

<p>Good point. Buy the modules only from trusted vendors. And even they can make mistakes.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      30 June, 2021 - 12:21 am

<p>The TPM chip has to be attached directly to the motherboard in order to work. It is a loose equivalent to the secure enclave on Apple products. It is there to ensure the hardware hasn’t been fiddled with and stores key information in encrypted form.</p><p><br></p><p>Whilst it would be possible to physically put a TPM chip in a USB device, it wouldn’t work, because it has to be directly accessible by the processor. The USB stick has to go over the USB port and over the USB controller chip or circuity. That is two layers of broken trust, so whatever the TPM chip says, can’t be relied on.</p><p><br></p><p>Additionally, it needs to be accessible directly during the boot process, before the OS and before device drivers are loaded – later, after the operating system has been checked and proven safe, by comparing it to the encrypted information in the TPM chip, the OS can be booted and the chip will then also be available to the OS.</p><p><br></p><p>But it is the critical pre-boot period, where the TPM is critical. Also, as a USB device, it would be easy to lose or get stolen and, without it the PC cannot be booted, it is a permanent feature of the motherboard from its first use on.</p>

• arnstarr

30 June, 2021 - 6:56 am

<p>Or integrated into the CPU.</p>

• navarac

30 June, 2021 - 3:25 am

<p>I bought a TPM 2.0 module and plugged in the motherboard. Fine, Windows 11 runs OK (8th gen CPU). However, after only 2 days use so far (and it’s a Dev build) Windows 11 is definitely cosmetic and I would not worry that you are missing out on anything. I like it just fine, but think that by the end of July I will have re-imaged my PC back to Windows 10. The differences between 10 &amp; 11 are nowhere near as much as those between 7, 8 &amp; 10.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      30 June, 2021 - 4:32 pm

<p>For now that is probably true. When they enable more of the new features like Andriod apps that will change.</p>

• navarac

30 June, 2021 - 4:55 pm

<p>Maybe, maybe not, but as always, change comes mostly stealthily over time.</p>

• rjrapson

30 June, 2021 - 9:11 am

<p>Long time insider, and I can report that the Dev Insider build installed last night on my desktop (i5-6600K, 32GB, Radeon 580). It was actually the 2nd try, first attempt (after enabling TPM in BIOS) failed, and my system went into a green/blue screen loop. I had to disable TPM in the BIOS to recover, but it rolled back to the last Windows 10 Insider dev build. It was still showing as available in Windows Update, so I decided to let it try again, and it upgraded with no issue and I woke to the new desktop. Haven’t had much time to play with it yet, but everything seems fine so far. Performance is identical to the last Windows 10 build I was running. YMMV, but looking good so far.</p>

• wbtmid

Premium Member
    30 June, 2021 - 11:16 am

<p>I updated my Insider computer, Ryzen 5 1500X 4-core, 8GB ram and an AMD video card (don’t know which one, but it passed the DX12 test with DXDIAG.) Working fine so far, it may be my imagination, but it seems a bit snappier that the Window 10 version I running before the upgrade.</p>

• Daishi

Premium Member
    30 June, 2021 - 5:29 pm

<p>People really need to stop thinking about this as a question of performance. The fact that they have simply cut it off based on the generation of chip, rather than trickling down through the years cutting off the low end chips and carrying forward the more powerful ones, show that that isn’t the case.</p><p><br></p><p>Its a technical limitation of some hardware component that the chip either does or does not have (my low information guess is that it’s to do with the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations that we’re first used on Ryzen 2 and 8th gen Intel, but who knows). No amount of being able to do 4K gaming or ‘still running like a champ’ changes that.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC