Win 11 on i7 7th Gen

Not trying to start a flame war just pointing my experience using an i7 7th gen for CPU and for GPU RTX 2060 Super.

Granted is still an early release and my CPU is not on the official approved list. My experience was a bit disappointed.

The system lagged at random occasions, on games had a similar experience for a moment the system just stopped responding and resume after a few seconds. Wanted to try the Auto HDR option and seemed improved. The desktop doesn’t look washed out while you have HDR enable, but still needs some work. Some applications that are not HDR Windows still trying to use HDR and looks horrible.

While i did like the start in the middle, i didn’t like the new layout of the menu, but is manageable.

At the end I had to roll back the update couldn’t live with the constant lag. Probably a clean install will be better but since my CPU is not supported at least officially will wait before doing that until the product is more finished.

Cheers!!

Conversation 5 comments

• dmitryko

13 July, 2021 - 10:10 am

<p>It looks like a Windows Shell (explorer.exe) problem, which is present in all Iron/Cobalt builds to various degrees.</p><p><br></p><p>In earlier builds, the entire UI would just stop responding if you open multiple tabs in Edge or Chrome, or multiple Search windows in File Explorer. Sometimes it recovers itself, but in most cases you can only kill and restart the explorer.exe process with Task Manager, or Sign Out from Ctrl-Alt-Del screen then Sign In as usual. </p><p><br></p><p>Recent builds have improved the UI freezes, but n<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">ot completely eliminated them; and the UI would start lagging if you move app windows around with mouse.</span></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    14 July, 2021 - 4:21 am

<p>It is a beta, so instability and random hiccups are to be expected.</p><p><br></p><p>One theory for the 8th Gen requirement is that they don’t need additional code (up to 20% performance reduction) to compensate for Spectre v2 and Meltdown. I suspect Microsoft is hoping it can throw out all this "unneeded" code by only letting it run on hardware that has built-in protection for these hardware design errors.</p>

• abrarey

14 July, 2021 - 9:16 am

<p>yup i probably new builds will improve. </p><p>Cr.. i think i resubmitted the same post hopefully will only show once.</p>

• epguy40

14 July, 2021 - 12:54 pm

<p>we’ll see if MS will really support Intel 7th gen and AMD Ryzen 1000 (Zen 1) series CPUs by the time Win11 officially comes out in late October 2021</p><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    20 July, 2021 - 12:06 am

<p>I’ve now run Windows 11 on a Celeron N3350, and an AMD A4-5000 APU. These systems have 2GB and 4GB respectively.</p><p><br></p><p>It’s perfectly fine. The "requirements" are completely artificial, and are only enforced by a check in the installer.</p><p><br></p><p>Soon, it’s going to be my Xeon E5530 workstation! After that, an old Athlon 64 FX-62 box.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC