Why does 2004 still come with the old Edge?

I’ve done a clean-install (on a separate HDD, for test-purposes) of the 2004 final-release, via the Media Creation Tool.

I’m surprised to find though that 2004 comes by-default with only the old Edge:

I’ve installed Windows 10 Home, so I’d expect in a clean-install now to only get the new Chrome-based Edge, not the old one.

(I could understand the Enterprise SKU still coming with the old Edge, and perhaps Pro, but surely Home should drop it?)

The new-one also hasn’t been offered while I’ve been in Edge, nor in the Windows Update area in Settings.

Is it still just manual-install only for now — Microsoft aren’t yet replacing the old Edge in the install images just yet (or remotely upgrading it)?

Thanks

Conversation 3 comments

• alsorun

28 May, 2020 - 11:13 am

<p>This is the benefit of decoupling Edge from Windows. lol</p>

• dftf

28 May, 2020 - 11:40 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#543283">In reply to alsorun:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, the new Edge is updated separately… but it is also supposed to replace the old Edge: that's the ultimate goal. And given the new Edge went RTM to download back in January I find it odd 2004 still only has the old one in a clean-install.</p><p><br></p><p>Maybe 2010 (20H2) might be when the actually remove the old one?</p>

• alsorun

28 May, 2020 - 11:46 am

<blockquote><em>It is odd for sure since the new Edge is so much better. <a href="#543286">In reply to dftf:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC