Windows Surface 3 Connected Standby Issue

I have a minor but very irritating issue with my Surface 3 and Surface 3 Dock after the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update.

When the Surface 3 is in the dock I get the event “The system is exiting connected standby reason input Hid device. ” This is in the System Log, Source Kernel-Power, Event ID 507.

A few seconds later I get the event “The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Time out.” This is the System Log, Source Kernel-Power” Event ID 506. This cycle has happened 1,200 times in the last 24 hours. I cannot find any detailed information on these events.

This never happens when the Surface is being powered directly by the micro USB port on the Surface 3. I have also ruled out a problem with the Dock. It behaves the same on 3 different Surface 3 Docks. Microsoft sent me one to see if that was the problem and I had also purchased another one on Amazon for $15.00. Evidently MS made a ton of them they couldn’t sell.

I have also made sure it is not one of the USB devices. I suspected the wireless mouse dongle but that wasn’t it. The same behavior occurs with multiple USB thumb drives.

Microsoft’s response has been to have me reinstall Windows, refresh drivers, run hardware diagnostics, etc. I have reinstalled/restored Windows multiple times. The last one was from an ISO. They also tell me this is not really a problem since the event log message is just informational. Of course every time it goes in and out of connected standby every USB device makes a noise as it disconnects and reconnects. My work around is just to keep the volume down.

Any ideas? Anyone having the same problem?

Another weird issue that seems to have been resolved with the last Fall Creators Cumulative Update. I was getting the Cumulative Updates for AMD devices instead of Intel. Since I have a Surface it is obviously an Intel device. I keep asking Microsoft people how this could happen with no response.

Conversation 3 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    18 December, 2017 - 11:00 am

<p>Apologies, I no longer have a Surface 3 to test this on. </p>

• kherm

Premium Member
      18 December, 2017 - 6:14 pm

<blockquote><a href="#228668"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Unintentional water damage? ?</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    18 December, 2017 - 1:11 pm

<p>Standby on Windows tablets seems to be a Hard Computer Science Problem (TM) that nobody wants to try to solve. I've had several Windows tablets (Surface RT, HP Stream 7, and a NuVision) that all had issues with resuming from sleep. Press that power button and the screen either won't respond, or it flashes on and off in the blink of an eye. The event log will show similar messages to that, as if the system is responding to the button twice. Press it and the system will resume, and then immediately re-enter sleep. Only solution is to power it off and back on.</p><p><br></p><p>And the updates are for AMD64, which is the name of the 64-bit x86 architecture, even if manufactured by Intel. IA64, Intel's 64-bit design was Itanium.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC