Did you discontinue 3 premium articles as part of Basic membership?

Subject capability seems to no longer work. Now all premium articles are met with ‘subscribe to premium’ to read this article. Is this a new unannounced policy change?

I’ve read Paul’s stuff for years and regularly listen to the Window’s Weekly. Everyone deserves a chance to be paid, and I do that by not blocking ads on your site. But I just don’t find the premium subscription all that compelling for my needs and use given YAS (yet another subscription). I’ve seen more and more of this site’s stuff go behind the paywall. It’s getting to the point where what’s left is no longer all that useful and just a repost of headlines that I can get in many other places on the non-premium side.

I respect your decision either way. Just find it unfortunate.

Conversation 9 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    31 December, 2018 - 11:46 am

<p>I'm not aware of a change like that. I'm asking the team about it…</p>

• michael_jones

31 December, 2018 - 11:58 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#389065">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Thanks. Maybe it's because of the special offer you guys are doing for the new year. Might be stomping on the 'old way' it worked before. 🙂 No worries on timing, time to correct, etc. and understand it's the holidays!</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    31 December, 2018 - 11:47 am

<p> So, no, we did not do this. At least not on purpose.</p><p><br></p><p>It's still the holidays, etc. But we'll try to figure this out ASAP.</p>

• Bats

31 December, 2018 - 11:49 am

<p>The answer to the question is No. </p>

• robinwilson16

31 December, 2018 - 9:38 pm

<p>Being the 1st Jan just a thought but could it be the server time zone differs to yours if you had used up your Dec allocation?</p><p>Or if not could logging out and back in help?</p><p><br></p><p>I am seeing the "This is 1 out of 3 Premium Articles available to you as a Thurrott Basic Member" on my account.</p><p><br></p><p>Happy New Year everyone!</p>

• michael_jones

31 December, 2018 - 11:38 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#389478">In reply to robinwilson16:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'm in the same time zone as Paul (EST), just in Florida. 🙂 I just checked again, and it's now working again. I suspect it had something to do with the special deal for the new year, as that was the only overlay I was receiving when logged in. Now it's back to the old way it was!</p>

• longhorn

01 January, 2019 - 1:30 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#389500">In reply to Michael_Jones:</a></em></blockquote><p>Special deal? What special deal?</p><p>By principle I don't like the dual pricing for alpha and non-alpha members. It's kind of off-putting and for alpha members it's sort of a lock-in.</p><p><br></p><p>I don't like to complain about the price because Paul works hard and deserves to make a living, but I do think the price is a factor. By comparison I renewed Stardock's Object Desktop (Start10, WindowBlinds, Groupy etc.) for $20. That's one year of updates and you can keep using it even if you don't keep renewing your subscription.</p><p><br></p><p>Anyway, if the current price makes sense for this site then there's no need to adjust it. One reason I stopped being a Premium member was that I felt I spent a lot of time here and by not being a Premium member I felt no pressure to do so. That being said, I enjoyed reading more of Paul's Premium articles.</p><p><br></p>

• robinwilson16

01 January, 2019 - 7:09 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#389500">In reply to Michael_Jones:</a></em></blockquote><p>Glad it sorted itself out.</p><p>A problem I was getting on mobile was that each article I clicked on scrolled straight down to the comments so I had to scroll back up to read it which was a bit of a pain but that seems to have stopped happening too.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    01 January, 2019 - 9:26 am

<p>No need to keep commenting on this, guys. Nothing changed.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC