PC ready for update to Windows 11 but not happening

All,

Can someone please help me “seek” and update to W11 for my Surface Pro 7, i7, 16Gb, 512Gb?

Windows update shows “This PC can run Windows 11” but then it also says “[…] Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you.”

I would much rather update than download the ISO and upgrade that way. Don’t want to run a clean install. For now.

How can I seek the update and avoid the wait? I tried for the last 3 days with the “check for updates” button, but other minor updates come up… except the one I am seeking.

Help!

Thanks,

Conversation 6 comments

• gbrush

08 October, 2021 - 12:18 pm

<p>You can use the Win11 iso on a USB flash drive to do an in-place upgrade. Select the "Keep my files and programs" option, and your current setup will simply be upgraded from <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> Win10 to Win11</span></p>

• gbrush

09 October, 2021 - 7:58 pm

<p>I should have been a little more clear about this. Since MS has determined your Surface "OK" for Win11, you can use the Win11 iso to create a bootable flash drive, with which you can:</p><p>1) run setup.exe from the flash drive <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">In your existing Win10 </span>to do an in-place upgrade from 10 to 11</p><p>-or-</p><p>2) if wishing to do a clean install, boot from the flash drive to begin the clean install process<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> (with or without repartitioning).</span></p>

• gbrush

08 October, 2021 - 12:32 pm

<p>Or you can simply copy the Win11 iso to your Surface Pro 7, mount it, run setup.exe, and choose <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">"Keep my files and programs". I’ve already done the above USB method on several machines (i.e., an in-place upgrade rather than a clean install) without any problems.</span></p>

• Alastair Cooper

08 October, 2021 - 6:57 pm

<p>I would expect that as well as not pushing it to certain types of machine, Microsoft may only be pushing it to smaller numbers at random. That way if there is a major bug that comes to light they catch it whilst limiting the reach.</p>

• mmcpher

Premium Member
    09 October, 2021 - 2:04 pm

<p>Sometimes you get what you deserve. I’ve bought 3 All-in-One desktops over the years, despite swearing to myself after the first one never to do so again. So I can’t say I’m surprised that my Inspiron 24 5488 is being flagged as incompatible but I was that it was the processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz&nbsp;&nbsp;2.90 GHz) that is tagged as coming up short. I have Windows 11 running fine on a much older Surface Pro 3.</p><h3><br></h3><p><br></p><p> </p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    11 October, 2021 - 11:54 am

<p>I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve been checking Windows Update almost every day, but it’s not offering it to me yet, even though my two Windows 10 machines are eligible. I’m thinking of joining the Insider Program to get it, but I just haven’t decided yet.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC