Daniel Miessler writes:
I've been writing for probably a decade about how bad Google's GUI is for Google Analytics, Google Apps, and countless of their other properties -- not to mention their multiple social media network attempts, like Google+ and Wave. Back then it was super annoying, but kind of ok. They're a hardcore engineering group, and their backend services are without equal. But lately it's just becoming too much.
1. Even Gmail is a cesspool at this point. Nobody would ever design a webmail interface like that, starting from scratch.
2. What happened to Google Docs? Why does it not look and behave more like Notion, or Quip, or any of the other alternatives that made progress in the last 5-10 years?
3. What college course do I take to manage a Google Analytics property?
4. Google just rolled out Google Analytics 4 -- I think -- and the internet is full of people asking the same question I am. "Is this a real rollout?"
[...] My questions are simple:
1. How the hell is this possible? I get it 10 years ago. But then they came out with the new design language. Materialize, or whatever it was. Cool story, and cool visuals. But it's not about the graphics, it's about the experience.
2. How can you be sitting on billions of dollars and be unable to hire product managers that can create usable interfaces?
3. How can you run Gmail on an interface that's tangibly worse than anything else out there?
4. How can you let Google Docs get completely obsoleted by startups?
I've heard people say that Google has become the new Microsoft, or the new Oracle, but damn -- at least Microsoft is innovating. At least Oracle has a sailing team, or whatever else they do. I'm being emotional at this point.
It looks like even the pro's are having issues with the Skill Based Match Making in Call of Duty.
Paul you are not alone, and it means you are not bad at the latest of CoD :)
According to global brand equity platform BrandZ, Microsoft's brand is now the third most valuable in the world, passing Google.
Top five are
Has anybody noticed that after installing the latest set of patches, that their wallpaper has been set to the default blue Windows logo? Happened to me on a 1909 and 2004 machine.
It's weird, my Surface Go received Windows 10 2004 today, but my Surface Laptop 3 is still blocked.
Does anybody have any suggestions on importing archives gmail emails into Outlook.com - When Outlook.com connects to my Gmail, regular emails in the Inbox are imported but not archived emails.
Is the offer of a personal domain email address with Outlook.com if I have Office 365 Home still valid. The option for it in Premium is randomly appearing and disappearing in my Outlook and I was wondering after reading Paul's article on custom email addresses
This is actually pretty cool, someone has gotten Windows 10X to run on a Surface Go (And I assume other machines as well. Instructions at:
I was one of the people who bought a black Surface Laptop 3 on Black Friday to replace the one that walked out the door at my house. Great machine but wow, its a finger print magnet. This laptop definitely needs a skin of some type which is kind of sad. Oh well. Time to go shopping on DBrand.
Microsoft posted a blog post on the features for Windows 10 they will no longer update/develop:
Windows 10 features we’re no longer developing
- You can't use Stadia with a G Suite account
- On a Mac with a touch bar, you can't exit stadia as you need to use the physical escape key and since the escape key has been moved to the touchbar, you are out of luck
Interesting, I have a Surface Pro 2017 and according to Microsoft, it's not ready for 1903. I would have thought this would be an easy upgrade. Oh well, at least they are being cautious. (And I did remove the SD Card in device).
I see Tesla is porting Cuphead to their in car dashboard system, we should soon start seeing an increase in road rage from Tesla drivers as they die multiple times in Cuphead during their morning commute. :)
If anybody is interested, the Microsoft Store (and Amazon) are selling Microsoft Headphones with a $100 discount. Right now they are available for $249
For those of you who miss Google's simple Inbox
A Chrome extension to make Gmail close to it - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simplify-gmail/pbmlfaiicoikhdbjagjbglnbfcbcojpj/related
New Edge (Credge) on the dev channel has gotten its first update. No idea what the update changes or fixes though.
From the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47800000
So the question is, honest mistake (and terrible security practises) or is somebody hacking the Huawei supply chain.
Does anybody actually use Mixer for watching e-sports or game streamers in general? The few times I tried it, the numbers were really low.
Is there anyway to find out what updates are applied to XBox One games. I recently installed the Master Chief Collection on my XBox One from disk and it had 72GB of updates. I could have just bought the digital version if I knew it was going to update that much.
How is the experience so far using a custom domain with Outlook.com and GoDaddy as the domain register?
My Surface Pro 2017 received 1809 last night. And I don't think I was even seeking it. So far the laptop hasn't burst into flames and all my files are still there. Although I admit it is still early days.
Is it just me or does Microsoft Could services (Office 365, Exchange Online, etc) all seem to be more unreliable than there Google counterparts. It just seems that they seem to have more downtime than Google which is weird considering that they develop those services and are dogfooding them. And they have the experts to run them.
I am now trying to be a seeker and looking to install 1809. Is there anyway to force the update from Windows Update? I would prefer not to wipe my installation using a 1809 ISO image install.
Or am I doomed to wait for my Surface Pro 2017 to get it eventually?
Has anybody tried setting up a personal email address/domain with Outlook.com Premium now that you can use GoDaddy as a Domain registrar for your domain?
Some apps that i would need for a Surface Go to replace my iPad Mini
- Kindle Reader
- Amazon Prime Video (With offline download)
- Udemy App (With offline download)
For those of you who have ordered a Surface Go, what will you be using it for?
Regular laptop, media tablet, games, etc?
Another sale for XBox games, some games up to 67% off. Sorting by % off does show some impressive numbers.
- Release date in 2018
- Intel 8th Gen CPU's
- USB C Port with optional charging
- Updated Intel Iris graphics
Things I would like to see but I know won't happen
- i5 model with 16GB RAM
- Use screws instead of glue to put the machine together
- User replaceable battery and drive
- USB C Port with Thunderbolt
- Base i5 model sold as a complete package with keyboard
Looking at the Lenovo X1 Tablet (3rd Gen), it looks like the Surface Pro 5/2018 that we would actually want from Microsoft.
8th Gen Intel Core i5/i7
USB C ports (Sadly no USB A but I can live with that)
USB C charging
Keyboard and Pen included
And even some parts are user servicable!!
I hope Microsoft is paying attention