Black Friday may get all the press, but Cyber Monday continues to be the biggest day for online shopping, Amazon confirmed today. The online retailer posted the best-ever shopping day in its history yesterday.
“Black Friday and Cyber Monday continue to break records on Amazon year over year, which tells us that customers love shopping for deals to kick off the holiday shopping season,” Amazon Worldwide Consumer CEO Jeff Wilke said in a prepared statement. “With curated gift guides, convenient shopping experiences, incredible product selection, and free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, Amazon offers customers tremendous value—sure to deliver smiles all season long.”
As it always the case, Amazon didn’t provide any hard numbers related to how much its customers actually spent on Cyber Monday. But it did mention a few interesting fact-lets, none of which really comparable to anything else, including each other.
- The best-selling products on Cyber Monday included the Amazon Echo Dot, AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity, Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices, Becoming by Michelle Obama, Jenga, and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart.
- Amazon customers worldwide ordered more than 18 million toys and more than 13 million fashion items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, combined.
- Over the five days from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday—a time frame Amazon annoyingly calls “the Turkey 5”—customers ordered more than 180 million items.
- The best-selling products at Amazon 4-star and Amazon Books over those five days included the Amazon Echo Dot, Becoming by Michelle Obama, the Amazon Smart Plug, and the L.O.L. Surprise Series toys.
- Christmas lights were “a” bestseller on Prime Now. (As opposed to “the” bestseller, I assume.)
- Customers ordered more than four million toys and electronics on the mobile app on Black Friday.
- Amazon’s own devices experienced record sales over the holiday long weekend, as you might expect. It was the biggest holiday shopping weekend ever for Echo devices, with “millions sold worldwide.” Likewise, Amazon sold “millions” of Fire tablets and Kindle devices. The best-selling products across all categories on Amazon.com included Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K, and Fire 7 tablet.