DXOMARK iPhone 11 Pro Max Review

DXOMARK’s review of the iPhone 11 Pro Max has been published. It’s composite photo and video score place it #3 among all smartphones reviewed. Interestingly, it’s addition has knocked the Pixel 4 out of the top 10 list.

I really find it interesting that the Galaxy Note 10+ 5G and the iPhone 11 Pro Max are both rated as better than the Pixel 4. Like I said, the Pixel 4 isn’t even in the top 10 anymore. The Pixel line has always been known for their superior photography, but according to DXOMARK, they’ve lost their mojo.

Conversation 9 comments

• Skolvikings

07 November, 2019 - 12:09 pm

<p>It won't let me edit, but it's actually tied for #3. The Galaxy Note 10+ 5G has a higher rated camera, but the iPhone 11 Pro Max is tied for #1 best video, so their composite scores match.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    07 November, 2019 - 12:19 pm

<p>DXOMARK is just one data point to consider, but don't put too much stock into their scores. For example, they test smartphones with unreleased software and in some cases, that software is not released to consumers. The OnePlus 7 Pro got a high score and the real-world photo quality of that phone is sub-par to say the least. </p>

• Skolvikings

07 November, 2019 - 12:27 pm

<p>I've seen other sites compare the Pixel 4 and the iPhone 11 Pro and aside from dark conditions, most show the iPhone 11 Pro as taking better photos. I'm also surprised that Samsung has caught up so much.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    07 November, 2019 - 2:40 pm

<p>I found the whole thing a little weird. They clearly waited for Deep Fusion to ship, probably at Apple's request, too. </p>

• Skolvikings

18 November, 2019 - 3:11 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#487116">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Why wouldn't they wait for Deep Fusion though? It makes sense.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
        18 November, 2019 - 3:15 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#490102">In reply to Skolvikings:</a></em></blockquote><p>Because the phone shipped over a month earlier without it.</p>

• minke

09 November, 2019 - 7:37 am

<p>Forget DXOMARK. Check out reviews that compare photos side by side and let you download the fullsized versions. What matters is how an image looks to you, not what some review site says.</p>

• Bats

09 November, 2019 - 9:20 pm

<p>Doesn't matter. In the real world, the picture quality is the same and these ranking fluctuate frequently.</p>

• Skolvikings

18 November, 2019 - 3:13 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#487713">In reply to Bats:</a></em></blockquote><p>Good point. And if an average person really can't tell the difference between a photo taking with a Pixel 4 vs. iPhone 11 Pro vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, then there's really no reason to get the Pixel 4 just for the camera. Not saying there aren't valid reasons to get whichever phone a person wants, including the Pixel, but seems like it's heads &amp; shoulders lead when it comes to photography has evaporated.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC