was that letter to investors an attempt to bury Bendgate 2.0?

Apple really just wants everyone to shut up and go away with their bent iPad Pro’s, they don’t even want to officially acknowledge the issue (they said their comments to the Verge were not official and they were going to put out an official statement last Friday, but they changed their mind and we’re still waiting). Do you think they posted that letter investors to distract people from Bendgate 2.0? If so, it might have worked!

Conversation 9 comments

• simont

Premium Member
    02 January, 2019 - 9:00 pm

<p>Not in the least. Apple would much rather have people talking about bending iPad's than a quarterly fall in profits. Bent iPad's are small thing in the scheme of things, a drop in profits is a much bigger problem.</p>

• Bdsrev

02 January, 2019 - 9:05 pm

<p>As usual, on a friday at 11:30pm, Apple will quietly announce a "replacement program" for the new bendy iPad Pros </p>

• Bdsrev

05 January, 2019 - 2:02 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#390102">In reply to Bdsrev:</a></em></blockquote><p>Lol Apple actually did this last night. From The Verge:</p><p>"Hoping to put a lid on any perceived controversy around bent 2018 iPad Pros, Apple published a support page late Friday night that details the device’s manufacturing process."</p>

• Thom77

02 January, 2019 - 9:28 pm

<p>Is sending a letter to your investors over lower earnings the rich CEO's equivalent to someone sending their girlfriend or boyfriend a break up text? </p><p><br></p><p>You couldnt even call? </p>

• Jackwagon

Premium Member
      03 January, 2019 - 1:30 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#390110">In reply to Thom77:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'd imagine the purpose of sending a letter is partially to establish a paper trail so that they can prove due diligence.</p>

• provision l-3

02 January, 2019 - 10:00 pm

<p>No. Publicly traded companies have a legal obligation to inform investors when they are not going to make their financial guidance. I'd wager that Apple would rather talk bent iPads than declining year over year revenue. No matter how big of an issue bending iPads are it is nothing compared to coming up five billion dollars short</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      03 January, 2019 - 9:12 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#390122">In reply to provision l-3:</a></em></blockquote><p>Or 10 billion. I guess we'll see. But yes.</p>

• provision l-3

03 January, 2019 - 10:22 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#390213">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'm curious where the 10 billion number comes from. Apple's original guidance is for the quarter was 89-93 billion. So, if they had hit any number from 89 to 93 they would have made their guidance. Anything above that would have been exceeding guidance. The revised number is 84 which is 5 billion below meeting their guidance. Using the 10 billion number you are either suggesting that not exceeding their guidance by a billion is coming up short or that they are actually going to come in at 79 billion when they report their guidance later this month. If it is the former then I'd say that is a fairly unique way of viewing a company hitting their guidance and to my recollection you have never held a company to that standard before. If it is the latter I'd be curious to know what you are basing that on. I guess it is plausible since Cook said approximately 84 billion and also said these were preliminary estimates. But I see being another five billion short as being unlikely. I guess the third option is that you have often joked that math is not your strong point so maybe it just got bungled. </p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    03 January, 2019 - 12:47 pm

<p>The current Top Post on Fox Business is "Stocks plunge more than 400 points on weak Apple sales, China worries" is really worse than bent iPad Pros. That's probably billions of dollars lost by investors.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC