In praise of the iPhone 8 Plus

I have the perfect phone, the iPhone 8 Plus. I was rocking an iPhone 7 but I wanted a bigger screen. But I can’t stand the notch. I just can’t deal with it. It offends me. And a phone with a bullet hole in the screen?…the world has gone mad.

So I bought a refurbished 8 Plus from Apple for $379. This was a great deal. You get a new battery, a new shell, and a one year warranty. And Apple even throws in a 1 year subscription to Apple TV. On a refurb! That really surprised me.

I’ll list the reasons the iPhone 8 Plus is the greatest phone since Creation.

1. No notch.
  2. No bullet hole.
  3. A good size phone. Not too big, not too small.
  4. Doesn’t cost a thousand bucks. (I’ve had cars that cost less.)
  5. A true tone 16:9 1080p LCD display as God intended.
  6. Wireless charging. (Which I never use.)
  7. Pretty decent battery life.
  8. Nice loud speakers. (I’m kinda deaf.)
  9. Will probably get updates for 2 or 3 more years.
  10. Not Android. Actually I like Android just fine. I just don’t like what the carriers and the OEMs do to Android. What a mess. That Steve Jobs insisted on keeping control of iOS and not letting the carriers get their filthy hands on it was one of the greatest business decisions ever.
  11. The best fingerprint reader in the industry and none of that face scanner nonsense. (Handy during the current unpleasantness.)
  12. A great camera. I’m not much into photography admittedly. The wife is into photography and uses a DSLR. I find it hard to get excited about phone cameras. Blow up a photo on a big screen from a phone vs. a real camera and there’s no contest.
  13. Nice and fast with iOS 14.
  14. And have I mentioned that there is No Infernal Notch?

There was talk of Apple coming out with an iPhone SE Plus. Is that still a thing?

Thoughts anyone?

Conversation 7 comments

• jrswarr

Premium Member
    03 November, 2020 - 6:17 am

<p>"To each his own.", the lady said as she kissed the cow. </p>

• thejoefin

Premium Member
    03 November, 2020 - 9:55 am

<p>I agree that the iPhone 8 is the ideal phone right now. I went with the non-Plus version, and it is really been a great phone. My wife has the iPhone X and seeing how often she struggles with Face ID does not make me want to switch to a phone without Touch ID. I was hoping that the new iPhones would have Touch ID on the power button like the new iPad Air. </p><p><br></p><p>Honestly the new iPhone is not enticing as an upgrade to my iPhone 8. I don't want Face ID, I don't need 5G, I don't want a bigger phone, I don't want a heavier phone, I don't want to spend $1,000. </p><p><br></p><p>If the iPhone 12 had Touch ID and Apple Pencil 2 support, then I'd be interested but currently the upgrade offers no improvement to my needs. Maybe next year. </p>

• ponsaelius

08 November, 2020 - 11:56 am

<p>I have an iphone 8 plus. After Windowsphone I had Android for a while but eventually about 18 months ago I picked up an iphone 8 plus refurbished (renewed) on Amazon. </p><p><br></p><p>However, I have been tempted to jump to a 12. Oddly, Apple seem to be struggling with naming conventions. They use plus, pro, max and just "S" to extend the word iphone. The Iphone 8 Plus has a 5.5-inch screen. However, an iphone 12 has a much larger 6.1 screen. Plus, from two years ago means 5.5 inch. Today the "pro max" is 6.7 inches.</p><p><br></p><p>Now we have a "mini" with a 5.4 inch screen. From a handling and size perspective if I want an iphone of the same size I must move from plus to mini. It feels an odd naming convention. </p><p><br></p><p>Then again, I am not paid to work out how to name iphones. Just to be confused. </p>

• burbigo3

11 November, 2020 - 2:48 pm

<p>I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I agree with all what you say.</p><p><br></p><p><a href="https://tweakbox.mobi/&quot; target="_blank"><sub>TweakBox</sub></a><sub>&nbsp;</sub><a href="https://tutuappx.com/&quot; target="_blank"><sub>Tutuapp</sub></a></p>

• j5

Premium Member
    11 November, 2020 - 9:51 pm

<p>I've been rocking the iPhone 8 Plus for 2 years now. And I don't see a legit technological reason to upgrade nor spend $1000 +/-. </p><p><br></p><p>Personally I think smart phones reached peak tech and features a couple years back. Now we're in a point where they phone manufactures have to reach and try crazy ideas, jump start with bendables, 2 screens, etc. because better battery life or step improvements in a camera aren't innovations in phone technology. They're just updates, hold overs from previous years, and marketing ploys. </p><p><br></p><p>100% agree with you!</p>

• txag

12 November, 2020 - 3:21 pm

<p>I have an 8Plus as well. It's great in all aspects but one. I don't like the weight, and its width means that I can't carry it in my shirt pocket unless I wear one of those 'fishing' shirts. I have thought about getting the new SE to drop weight and size, but this one is great for reading so I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.</p>

• jwpear

Premium Member
    13 November, 2020 - 8:46 am

<p>It is a great phone. I had an 8 (non-plus) that I enjoyed. Gave it up mainly because my eyes were getting to a point that I needed something bigger (I refuse to wear progressives continuously). I jumped to the 11 Pro Max. Notch doesn't bother me like I thought it might and the battery life on the 11 Pro Max is amazing. I go two days between charges.</p><p><br></p><p>I curse Apple every time I'm at a store and go to use Apple Pay with my 11. Damn them for removing the fingerprint reader! I was never, and am still not, a fan of this move. Thankfully, I have an Apple Watch and can use that for Apple Pay–double tap the button, just like it was with the home button on older iPhones. But if I have to read a grocery list, I'm back to the freaking passcode to get into the phone. Do that 8-10 times and you will curse Apple.</p><p><br></p><p>One thing I love about iPhones is how useable they are for long periods of time. People talk about the Apple tax. It is certainly real, but I don't think it is as much of a problem for those that keep the devices for a long period of time. There is value in longevity and Apple's hardware generally excels at that. </p><p><br></p><p>Love that you were able to pick up a refurb 8 and it be perfectly useable!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC