Upcoming Macbook Pro 2016 & Windows

Hi,

If the rumours are correct and the new MacBook 2016 comes with the new OLED / Magic bar, what impact with this have for users who like to also run Windows on their MacBook. Of course Windows relies on the function keys as well, so I’m curious to know if anyone has thought about this.

I’ve not been able to find any opinions online at all.

Conversation 11 comments

Premium Member
    22 October, 2016 - 2:06 pm

<p>I would imagine that boot camp would install a driver that hardcoded that bar to function keys in Windows or I suppose it could be an option in the boot camp control panel. Parallel’s will have an option too. &nbsp;They won’t forget about the important stuff. &nbsp;Honestly, with virtualization being as good as it is now, I usually run Windows in Parallel’s as opposed to boot camp now.</p>

24 October, 2016 - 1:13 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#21996">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/ChristopherCollins">ChristopherCollins</a><a href="#21996">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Thanks Chris,</p>
      <p>I’m about to buy my first MacBook Pro so was very interested to read what you said about Parallels vs Bootcamp. I know about both quite well but have never been sure about which one to use. I’m planning on a 16GB version, so the RAM won’t be an issue.</p>
      <p>I would prefer a MacBook Pro as many of my clients have Mac and it’s frustrating not having direct access to the OS as I don’t have a Mac at present. However I know the newer Surface Books will be out early next year and the HP Spectre laptops look very good too. All those high end ones come with a big price tag, so I’m yet to fully decide which one to invest in, as I’ll want it to last 3-4 years at least, if possible.</p>
      <p>Cheers,</p>
      <p>Jason.</p>

24 October, 2016 - 6:44 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#22100">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/cubewebsolutions">cubewebsolutions</a><a href="#22100">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>The high end Widnows PCs will last the same amount of time as Macs. All the high end stuff comes with SSDs which are more robust than HDDs. You get what you pay for, whether it’s Apple or HP.</p>
        <p>If you specifically need a Mac, get a Mac. But if you don’t, you’ll find equal performance and quality, at better value and&nbsp;better&nbsp;capability, in the Windows&nbsp;world, especially with the hybrid / 2-in-1 category.</p>

27 October, 2016 - 7:58 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#21996">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/ChristopherCollins">ChristopherCollins</a><a href="#21996">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Do you have any issues connecting bluetooth devices inside Parallels Desktop?</p>

Premium Member
    24 October, 2016 - 8:30 am

<p>Great question, wondering the same.</p>

25 October, 2016 - 12:07 am

<p>I think Apple won’t make concessions for Bootcamp users at all. Bootcamp support has been falling behind, they still are using a slow BIOS emulation layer when both Windows 10 and OSX can now just use UEFI to boot. They’ll remove the function keys and try make Windows look bad for relying on the function keys. But of course the best way to know is to wait till people get their hands on the new MacBook Pros and try it for themselves. Apple will definitely not talk about it on stage.</p>

27 October, 2016 - 7:58 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#22290">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/FalseAgent">FalseAgent</a><a href="#22290">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>#TeamDial</p>

27 October, 2016 - 7:57 pm

<p>The Magic Bar looks impressive to me, it can be customized by any application. Also the track pad already great was made even bigger. Beautiful screen and macOS pretty much seals the deal for anyone already looking for a Macbook.</p>

28 October, 2016 - 1:14 pm

<p>Isn’t the right answer, these days, to run Parallels anyway and just virtualize the apps you need rather than running Windows? Especially with the quality of recent Windows laptops, I don’t understand why anyone would choose to buy a Mac if they needed to run Windows exclusively, anyway.</p>

29 October, 2016 - 2:11 pm

<p>I wonder if&nbsp;Windows Hardware OEMs will include a "Windows Counterpart" to the Mac multi-touch toolbar? &nbsp;If they do, and include similar functionality, then wouldn’t Microsoft have incentive to build in support for that multi-touch toolbar.</p>

17 January, 2017 - 2:38 am

<p>Apple analyst Ming -Chi Kuo indicated that this year&rsquo;s MacBooks will be upgraded with Intel&rsquo;s Kaby Lake processors. Apple is worried about its new launch because last year disappointed by iPhone 7. <a href="http://www.essaydone.co.uk/">essay help service</a> rumours are waiting for MacBook pro new features. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC