Site updates for the week of 10/24/16

So there has been a pretty good amount of travel on the team, myself included.  The net result is some great ideas in the pipeline but a little less output on the development side.

One example is the Thurrott Now microblogging.  Critical funcitonality is complete but upon testing with the team we weren’t completely happy with the user experience and we’ve come up with some pretty great ideas (we think, we’re not bias though).

Anyways. Go Cubs!  On with the show…

Bug Fixes

• Browser Spell check should now work properly across all browsers in comment/forum entries
  • Some users had missing Alpha numbers.  The cause of this was identified and has been addressed.  A net effect of this is that a small number of users numbers were also incorrect.  For the most part, these users have smaller numbers now.
  • Alpha member’s subscription dates are now correct and based off the October 3rd launch date (rather than your original purchase date).

Enhancements

• Layout selection is now persistent for all users.
  • We have dramatically changed the log in experience.  We feel it is more user friendly.
  • Coupon functionality is now in place.  Keep your eyes peeled for deals.

In The Pipeline

• Thurrott Now Micro Blog
  • Live chat on the first ring daily
  • Improved account management
  • Monthly Thurrott Premium Subscriptions
  • Improved sorting on comments
  • Comment/Forum notifications
  • Cubs World Series Win

r8l-w01y_400x400

Conversation 6 comments

Premium Member
    29 October, 2016 - 11:48 am

<p>Picky: the article layout selection is now persistent, but when returning from Forum or articles or refreshing the top page, the articles first display in the default tiled format then change to the selected alternative format. It’s distracting.</p>

29 October, 2016 - 12:12 pm

<p>And I was wondering how the people managed to hide their alpha numbers. I always thought this would be some kind of feature. :)</p>

Premium Member
      29 October, 2016 - 12:15 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#23525">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/RedSign">RedSign</a><a href="#23525">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Could be a feature to build out. I think this has been brought up by a few people.</p>

30 October, 2016 - 11:32 am

<p>The only way the Cubs would win. Is if maybe they get&nbsp;Ginny Baker.</p>
    <p>Ginny Baker is better then the cubs pitching.</p>

30 October, 2016 - 11:38 am

<p>Thurrott Now Micro Blog. What is that? What’s the point of that?</p>
    <p>I hated the way I had to login before when I use login with Twitter.</p>

07 November, 2016 - 5:59 am

<p>Hooray, spellcheck works.<br />I’ve asked this before, what&nbsp;are these alpha numbers all about?<br />Not seeing any difference on layout, still just a banner of six links at&nbsp;top showing old content&nbsp;with no dates and then it drops&nbsp; a few recent articles, a podcast section which would be better on right, annoying how it overlaps the content below it.<br /> A jumbled mess of stuff all down the page that is mixed dates?&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Not sure if its because I’m using Edge on a surface and other W10 devices, but would have expected that to be the best viewing.</p>
    <p>Looks like it needs some work.<br />Really wish you had not changed it, the design before this site updated was a great design, this one is so hard to use.<br />Notice on the right there are links ‘currently on forums’ in a large&nbsp;font in bold and spaced, why is that so large.<br />The fonts througout the site are so mixed and jumbled size and font style, can there not be some consistency?<br />The forum reply font is tiny.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC