We Help Wednesday 11/1

Figured I would start the thread with some lighter questions.

1) What kind of Halloween candy did you guys pass out yesterday to trick-or-treaters?

2) How did Brad and Paul first meet or become aware of each other’s work?

Conversation 21 comments

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    31 October, 2017 - 3:02 pm

<p>ah thx, this is the thread folks!</p>

• anchovylover

31 October, 2017 - 3:21 pm

<p>Since updating to 1709 both my desktop and laptop have the same issue. Each day on booting up the onscreen keyboard appears. Once clicked away it doesn't return until next boot up. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.</p>

• Oasis

Premium Member
      31 October, 2017 - 4:11 pm

<blockquote><a href="#212213"><em>In reply to anchovylover: </em></a></blockquote><p>Look here: https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-on-screen-keyboard </p>

• anchovylover

31 October, 2017 - 9:04 pm

<blockquote><a href="#212251"><em>In reply to Oasis:</em></a></blockquote><p>Thanks Oasis. Unfortunately I tried all three suggestions to no avail. The OSK is turned off and when I went through Device Manager and start up the only item was CCleaner.</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    31 October, 2017 - 5:22 pm

<p>Hi guys appreciate it if you could promote this issue I posted on the feedback hub.</p><p><br></p><p>A few months back I asked about if anyone else was experiencing a situation where when you shutdown, while having applications open, on the next boot Windows will open all those applications again (regardless of it being a start up app or not). </p><p><br></p><p>It's not great when you have large applications like Visual Studio which load on boot because you forgot to close it before when you did a shutdown</p><p><br></p><p>I scoured around and found that this is the default behaviour in 1709 from a Microsoft employee (and isn't because of fast start up, and isn't to do with hibernating), and people were told to report it in the feedback hub.</p><p><br></p><p>I posted this 3 months ago into the feedback hub, nothing has been done about it, my suggestion is to have an option at shutdown asking users if they want to reopen the applications they had currently open on their next boot (just like macOS).</p><p><br></p><p>Can you please make highlight this issue to the Windows Insider team (as they are likely to listen to your tweets) and suggest people to upvote this, as this behaviour is a complete change of how windows has worked for years ( click shutdown, don't have to worry about closing applications, as they would not be reopened on the next boot).</p><p><br></p><p>Here's the link to the feedback hub post : <a href="https://aka.ms/Mx5wxs&quot; target="_blank">https://aka.ms/Mx5wxs</a></p><p><br></p><p>(I had 9 votes a few days ago, it is now at 15 as of writing this, so there is some traction and is affecting real users)</p><p><br></p>

• gvan

31 October, 2017 - 9:42 pm

<p>I have Outlook Premium with custom domain AND Office 365 subscriptions. What am I losing in the Outlook Premium shutdown? I’m losing a bill and that’s good. Will I loose custom domain support? Thanks, Greg</p>

• gvan

31 October, 2017 - 9:44 pm

<p> I’m generally happy with my new Apple TV 4K. However, the remote is horrific. Do you have any recommendations for a replacement remote? Thanks, Greg</p>

• gvan

31 October, 2017 - 9:49 pm

<p>When Cortana was first released I disabled everything related to it. Now I’m thinking it’s matured enough to use, how do I re-enable all its features. Any advice for using Cortana on iPhone as well as PC? Thanks, Greg</p>

• SherlockHolmes

Premium Member
    31 October, 2017 - 11:25 pm

<p>The question I have is: Whats the main difference between outlook.com cvommercial and G Suite? Since MSFT killed Outlook.com Premium I am thinking about moving to G Suite only for personal E-Mail. I would love it Paul could tell something about the difference between the two services. </p>

• sentinel6671

Premium Member
    31 October, 2017 - 11:42 pm

<p>I've found Windows Store apps to be a bit on the fragile side. I have a situation where I made a mistake and, for a long time had a bunch of Windows Store apps installed on a separate, external drive. I removed that drive and re-jigged all my storage. Sadly, I forgot to move the affected apps such that they could live properly on a new drive. Now I can't uninstall, reinstall, open, or generally do anything. I've got a bunch of non-working stuff that I can't fix or get rid off. No amount of stuff I've read online for fixing the store works. I'd hoped that the 1709 Fall Creators Update might fix/reset things…nope, not a chance.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm thinking only a clean install will be able to fix this. It's not a big deal, but it's bugging me a little.</p><p><br></p><p>Any creative fixes out there?</p>

• Lewk

Premium Member
      01 November, 2017 - 1:55 am

<blockquote><a href="#212422"><em>In reply to sentinel6671:</em></a></blockquote><p>Have you tried removing the store apps with powershell command lines?</p>

• sentinel6671

Premium Member
        01 November, 2017 - 9:05 am

<blockquote><a href="#212433"><em>In reply to Lewk:</em></a></blockquote><p>No, I don't know Powershell. Maybe this is a good excuse to learn? Thanks for the suggestion.</p>

• Lewk

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 2:07 am

<p>1) With the new Outlook Premium features like Ad-Free coming to Office 365 subscribers, is it U.S-only? Or is it available for everyone around the globe?</p><p><br></p><p>2) Has Paul considered reviewing the Nokia 8 handset?</p>

• RobotRaccoon

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 8:23 am

<p>I have a 2012 MacBook Air that I'd like to convert to a Windows 10 machine, for reasons. I'm dealing with limited system resources, so I don't want to use Boot Camp or a VM. I can boot to a Windows 10 USB installer just fine, but it looks like it wants to wipe the entire disk. I would prefer to keep the original Apple recovery partition. Is that possible? If so, how?</p>

• wunderbar

Premium Member
      01 November, 2017 - 9:40 am

<blockquote><a href="#212501"><em>In reply to RobotRaccoon:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You should be using Boot Camp, that's the official Apple Dual Booth method. With a Boot Camp setup MacOS doesn't actually run in the background, it's just a dual boot, so when you're in Windows you're not sacrificing CPU or RAM by doing so. Boot Camp also provides slightly better drivers for system devices, especially for things like the trackpad which is a custom Apple part.</p><p><br></p><p>Basically, use Boot Camp.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      01 November, 2017 - 8:13 pm

<blockquote><a href="#212501"><em>In reply to RobotRaccoon:</em></a></blockquote><p>i have a tutorial in the forums talking about how to do exactly that. You can also search "better than boot camp" and find the reddit thread mine is based on. Works fine. Install the freeware Macs Fan Control to keep the fan in line. </p><p><br></p><p>Macs use UEFI like most modern PCs. Just install in Native UEFI mode and it's fine. :D</p>

• Eric Flickner

01 November, 2017 - 8:34 am

<p>Has Paul received his Pixel 2 XL yet? Is there a review coming for it? Can you buy it from Verizon and slip an AT&amp;T sim into it? My shipping date has slipped and I'm getting impatient and considering other options.</p>

• ryguy

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 9:47 am

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">Anybody else having issues accessing calendars on the Invoke? I have it linked to Cortana through my MS account, but for some reason Cortana isn’t seeing calendar events on my connected O365 account. This isn’t a problem with Cortana on any other device, only the Invoke – pretty frustrating that it’s telling me nothing is on my calendar, while Cortana on my desktop is telling me I have a full day.</span></p>

• TheJoeFin

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 10:00 am

<p>My HP x360 cannot maintain a Skype call for more than 10ish minutes before the call becomes intermittent and drops. Any clue what could be the culprit here? I remember the Anniversary update did something to webcams but I thought that was fixed, could it be network related like my Wi-Fi chip can't handle the constant stream for too long before shutting off? Any thoughts?</p>

• SteveM

01 November, 2017 - 11:06 am

<p>SInce updating my Surface Pro 4 to 1709 Window Hello cannot access the camera so fails and falls back to Pin for logging on. Any ideas please?</p>

• zvonimirm

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 11:22 am

<p>Hi Brad, any news regarding RSS subscription to video version of First Ring Daily?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC