We Help Wednesday 11/15

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 25 comments

• ilovemissy85

14 November, 2017 - 2:08 pm

<p>I was wondering if it's possible to use an external hard drive on a Windows 10 laptop to download games and use on Steam subscription service. Instead of using the internal hard drive of the laptop , because I'm running out of space. Thanks for your help, Jimmy Delaney. </p>

• Clarkb

Premium Member
    14 November, 2017 - 2:28 pm

<p>Paul, I'm guessing you are running Oreo on your Pixel 2 Xl and also the Microsoft Launcher. If so, are you able to successfully add a web page/shortcut to the Home Screen? </p><p><br></p><p>Google made a change to the API for "Add to Home screen" (link below) in Oreo and the initial released version of Microsoft Launcher in October did not support this and actually broke the function for both the Microsoft Launcher and the Google Launcher as long as Microsoft Launcher was installed. </p><p><br></p><p>(As Android does a horrible job maintaining saved home screen folders of links I'm hesitant to randomly try the latest build and lose the customization I've done.)</p><p><br></p><p>https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/android-8.0-changes.html </p>

• Lewk

Premium Member
    15 November, 2017 - 12:53 am

<p>Will Paul once again be creating a Terrorist Hostage style room for shooting First Ring Daily? :P</p>

• moogleassassin

15 November, 2017 - 7:37 am

<p>Heh, same question as last week. Where for art thou SurfaceBook2 Reviews and can I be concerned yet ? I have had my shipping confirmation and delivery scheduled for tommorow morning and still…. no reviews and getting increasingly concerned that this fanless i7 is going to be a dud. </p><p><br></p><p>Hell at this rate I might performance test it myself and post review here because it might be the first – or one of the first (hoping lots come out tonight or tommorow morning). </p><p><br></p><p>I've got such an optimistic hope for this thing, but… </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• StevenLayton

15 November, 2017 - 7:47 am

<p>Please could you cater for the international community and write the date in the correct format. Clearly the thread title should read</p><h1>We Help Wednesday 15/11</h1><p> ;)</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      15 November, 2017 - 11:02 am

<blockquote><a href="#216512"><em>In reply to StevenLayton:</em></a></blockquote><p>LOL Nice</p>

• andrewtechhelp

Premium Member
      16 November, 2017 - 10:33 am

<blockquote><a href="#216512"><em>In reply to StevenLayton:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>A possible better compromise 😉 – Just write the posts like this: We Help Wednesday Nov 15.</p><p><br></p><p>That's a format everyone can understand at a glance, whether or not they use DD/MM or MM/DD formats :)</p>

• harmjr

Premium Member
    15 November, 2017 - 8:02 am

<p>I almost never buy new just released technology or this year's model. I am too cheap and usually the bugs are all worked out by year two. I always go for last years model. If you had to choose a new phone with that as your criteria what would be recommendation?</p>

• anchovylover

15 November, 2017 - 8:17 am

<p>As I posted a while back Amazon was coming to Australia. I've just grabbed six months of Amazon Prime for just U.S $2.99 or AUST $3.99 per month.</p><p><br></p><p>My question is what shows are worth checking out IYHO's?</p>

• Simard57

15 November, 2017 - 9:15 am

<p>just moved to Android – Moto Z2</p><p>How do I pin the outlook calendar to home screen?</p><p>is there an Outlook Widget?</p><p><br></p>

• Sprtfan

15 November, 2017 - 10:36 am

<blockquote><a href="#216547"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>There is a widget called Outlook Agenda that may work. I like the Nine Calendar widget though and would recommend it. </p>

• Clarkb

Premium Member
      15 November, 2017 - 3:12 pm

<blockquote><a href="#216547"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a> +1 on Sprtfan comment re Outlook Agenda: It installs as part of Outlook. Widget displays upcoming apts, tap the header of the widget and it launches Outlook Calendar.</blockquote><p><br></p>

• Simard57

16 November, 2017 - 11:09 am

<blockquote><a href="#216547"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>well I found a workaround without having to install another app – yea</p><p>I found a suggestion to use Flow to mirror outlook calendar events to google calendar (https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/f33ecb04e20f468ba284e6b413f6e4c2/outlookcom-calendar-to-google-calendar/) and it does what it is meant to. I can then use the built-in google calendar app and widget to see what is on my outlook calendar. I made it one way readable but bi-directional is supported as well which I may implement if it fits my work flow</p><p><br></p>

• rtodd_us

Premium Member
    15 November, 2017 - 10:06 am

<p>I'm looking into getting into the smart home trend. Is there anything that you would recommend regarding security for these IoT devices? I have read that these devices present a security concern. Also any devices you would recommend as a must have for a smart home?</p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
      15 November, 2017 - 11:26 am

<blockquote><a href="#216573"><em>In reply to rtodd_us:</em></a></blockquote><p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/107001/essentials-adventures-building-iot-home&quot; target="_blank">Take a look at this, wrote it up earlier this year</a></p>

• rtodd_us

Premium Member
        15 November, 2017 - 3:50 pm

<blockquote><a href="#216611"><em>In reply to brad-sams:</em></a></blockquote><p>Thanks! Sorry should have researched the site a little better huh.</p>

• jchampeau

Premium Member
        16 November, 2017 - 3:59 pm

<blockquote><a href="#216611"><em>In reply to brad-sams:</em></a></blockquote><p>The article is about makes and models of devices and doesn't address the security concerns rtodd_us asked about. I work in Information Security and have a strong background in networking. The best advice is this: assume every single one of your smarthome/IoT devices is compromised and is giving someone unfettered access to the subnet to which it's connected. Most consumer-grade routers won't let you create multiple VLANs or security zones, so those IoT devices are on the same layer 2 segment as your PCs, phones, Apple TVs, etc. That's the concerning part. At my house, I have nine VLANs and six different wireless SSIDs and my IoT devices are split between them so that even if Ring or Wink or MyQ or Alexa get popped, the attacker won't be able to get to anything else. My only exceptions are Sonos and Apple TV since they require layer 2 connectivity to my phone or the apps don't work.</p>

• Sprtfan

15 November, 2017 - 10:39 am

<p>Any updates on Alexia or multiple account support coming to the Invoke? I was going to wait it out but the Black Friday sale on the Invoke is tempting. </p>

• Simard57

15 November, 2017 - 2:12 pm

<p>what would the chances be for the answers to the questions below be written down each week as part of a premium service? I know it is more work but it would help a lot. I DO watch the FRD but would value having the answers documents in text instead of video – perhaps post a transcript of the show that can be searched!</p>

• Luis Sohal

22 November, 2017 - 6:32 am

<p>For #HotmailpasswordResetOrRecovery Call on &amp;&amp;**866).(877).(9859)__++</p><p>#Outlook Support Number</p><p>#Micrsosoft Support Number</p><p>#Outlook Password&nbsp;</p><p>#OutlookSupport&nbsp;</p><p>#HotmailPasswordRecovery</p><p>#OutlookandMicrosoft Support Phone Number</p><p>Call ***866).(877).(9859&gt;&gt;&gt;</p><p><br></p>

• Tech_Support

23 November, 2017 - 12:44 am

<p>For #HotmailpasswordResetOrRecovery Call on &amp;&amp;**866).(877).(9859)__++</p><p>#Outlook Support Number</p><p>#Micrsosoft Support Number</p><p>#Outlook Password&nbsp;</p><p>#OutlookSupport&nbsp;</p><p>#HotmailPasswordRecovery</p><p>#OutlookandMicrosoft Support Phone Number</p><p>Call ***866).(877).(9859&gt;&gt;&gt;</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC