We Help Wednesday 12/21

Questions for the show today? Put them here.

Conversation 13 comments

Premium Member
    21 December, 2016 - 7:14 am

<p>Maybe you could help me with some math. :)</p>

Premium Member
      21 December, 2016 - 7:34 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#31441">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/paul-thurrott">Paul Thurrott</a><a href="#31441">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Its Maths ?</p>

21 December, 2016 - 9:57 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#31441">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/paul-thurrott">Paul Thurrott</a><a href="#31441">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I think you were doing Arithmetic!</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
        21 December, 2016 - 12:04 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#31483">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Simard57">Simard57</a><a href="#31483">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>Guys, this does not add up. I’m here all week.</p>
        <p>&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    21 December, 2016 - 7:41 am

<p>Can you transfer text messages from WP10 to an Android phone ?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    21 December, 2016 - 8:06 am

<p>If I buy a second XBox One for my family can we all still share one Gold account? I am the "primary" and my kids are all secondaries. This Xbox One would be on the same internal network in my home, etc. It seems like checking forums this is an issue. I just want to know if I’m going to have spend more on Gold for me and my two kids or can I be on one XBox one and one of my children on another both playing the same game at the same time. Granted, I might have to buy 2 copies of the same game. What are people doing about it? Or do you just buy a PS4? :)</p>

21 December, 2016 - 8:19 am

<p>I posted this in another thread – I know it would "help" me.</p>
    <p>I think a topic that would be of interest would be home automation. you gave a good podcast on how your studio is linked up to your Echo and I would find it useful to learn from your setup. I have two echos now (one Dot, one original) and I have a Wink bundle (Hub &amp; 2 bulbs) on its way. I also have a garage door opener I can access on the web. Tying all this together into a voice controlled Alexa is my goal and growing it from there…</p>
    <p>what are the pitfalls?</p>
    <p>What do you use?</p>
    <p>what are the security implications?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>all great topics to talk about or write about</p>

Premium Member
    21 December, 2016 - 8:32 am

<p>I have PC running windows 7 with office 2010 every computer I go on I have clip art but 1 I cannot get clip art off of bing.com content I check it off but no pictures are loadable. I only get the few that are from Clip Art. I tried to reload office does not work any ideas?</p>

21 December, 2016 - 11:00 am

<p>As a learning experience, I’m looking at running various virtual machines, server and client, for testing purposes so I don’t blow up my own computer that I need for work. As the world moves towards thinner, lighter&nbsp;laptops they don’t really have the capacity to run one or more VMs at the same time to play around with. Have you guys experimented with doing this in the cloud, on Azure or otherwise? Is this possible? Any pointers?</p>

Premium Member
      05 January, 2017 - 7:58 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#31500">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Polycrastinator">Polycrastinator</a><a href="#31500">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Sorry for the late reply. There are a few ways to do this which will make things easier for you.</p>
      <p>1. You can run a virtualization host in your home and connect either via VPN to your router and gain access that way or use something like TeamViewer to access it without a VPN. This would be easiest for you to setup.</p>
      <p>2. You can run virtualization on Azure with VMs for sure. This is really helpful if you have Azure credits from your company or MSDN account. Only problems here is the only way that desktop OS is supported on Azure are Visual Studio systems. Desktop/client OS is not supported. Server is heavily supported with a lot of images available in the marketplace. However, the support is for Windows Server 2008 and later and specific versions of Linux. If you need older versions, you will have to host on other hosting arrangements.</p>
      <p>3. You can do local virtualization with a USB 3.0 external drive, preferably a SSD instead of a spinning disk. I have done this and it is doable but can be problems if the drive loses connectivity with the computer. I did this on my Surface Pro 3 for some presentations where I didn’t have a high comfort level of the internet access.</p>
      <p>Hope that helps.</p>
      <p>Jared</p>

Premium Member
    21 December, 2016 - 11:52 am

<p>I had an exchange server running 2013 CU4 and when I attempted to upgrade it to CU15 yesterday the server basically exploded. &nbsp;What can I do about it? &nbsp;I know Paul is a big expert on Exchange Server.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>I’m kidding. Not about the server blowing up part, but about Paul. &nbsp;8 hours later, 4 of them on the phone with Microsoft, and I got the server fixed.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>An actual We Help Wednesday might be what is your favorite coffee recommendation for a very sleep deprived IT worker?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC