We Help Wednesday 3/8

Questions for the show? Drop them here.

Conversation 9 comments

• Shane

Premium Member
    07 March, 2017 - 10:46 am

<p>Will all the issues surrounding uber would you use them.</p><p>I have never used a service like this. I heard, read about lyft . Is this any good, better than uber.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm on vacation in Orlando for the month of march. I have a car but for the odd occasions I would like to drink while out what would you suggest .</p>

• evancox10

07 March, 2017 - 12:16 pm

<p>Back in June 2016, Paul <a href="https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/68120/clean-pc-microsofts-refresh-windows-tool-can-help-make-windows-10-crapware-free&quot; target="_blank">wrote </a>about the newly available "Refresh PC" tool, which downloads and installs the bog-standard Windows 10 image, rather than one with manufacturer installed crapware. In that article, Paul wrote:</p><p><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">"I still have questions, the most obvious being how it handles PC-specific drivers and utilities. But that’s why I have all these PCs here for testing purposes. I’ll write about my experiences here on this site, and in the coming update for&nbsp;<em>Windows 10 Field Guide,</em>&nbsp;which is being updated for free for the new Anniversary Update features.</p><p class="ql-indent-1">More soon."</p><p><br></p><p>But I don't recall seeing any updates on this yet! Given that I am about to apply this tool to my new laptop (HP Spectre x360 15" w/ Kaby Lake), my question for We Help Wednesday is, can I expect this tool to "just work"? Will drivers be reinstalled through Windows Update, or do I have to download them manually from the OEM website? More generally, how does this vary by manufacturer? Are some better than others at seeding Windows Update with the right drivers for their machines?</p><p><br></p><p>(Given the existing article, maybe this is better for follow-up Friday? Same difference to me!)</p>

• asdfasdf1

07 March, 2017 - 3:11 pm

<p><span style="background-color: white;">My question is regarding your thoughts on android emulation on windows 10 cloud/windows 10&nbsp;on ARM for cellular pcs("surface phone"). Microsoft has been preparing to push UWP apps again, and for the unknown reasons canceled project astoria, but would they allow third party android emulators (which&nbsp;already exist&nbsp;for windows&nbsp;10)&nbsp;for cellular PCs (surface phone)&nbsp;running windows 10 on arm. I see this to be crucial to help bridge the app gap, while the platform gains users, because developers will not&nbsp;build apps for the platform with no users, meanwhile the platform would improve and the need for android apps would phase out, but would still allow anyone with a need for a legacy android app to access and use it on the "windows cellular pc"</span></p>

• ommoran

Premium Member
    07 March, 2017 - 3:49 pm

<p>About a year or 18 months ago, Paul mentioned that Microsoft knew there was a problem with people having multiple MSAs, and wanting to merge them – which you cannot do. I ran into this around Christmas as an issue, when I redeemed a code on the wrong MSA account.</p><p><br></p><p>Paul mentioned it last week – is there any possible update on this? 18 months ago they "knew of the problem and were working to resolve it". Just curious.</p>

• conways65

08 March, 2017 - 4:02 am

<p>Hi Brad and Paul, </p><p><br></p><p>Just wondering who you would suggest as a mobile carrier to use while traveling&nbsp;in the US. My Daughter will be over there in late April for 3 weeks. She will be spending most of her time in New York but will also have a few days in LA. </p><p><br></p><p>Any advice would be great. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Also I don't know why my profile pic is sideways. it was correct when uploaded.</p><p><br></p><p>Shane</p>

• Kudupa

08 March, 2017 - 9:49 am

<p><a href="#89110"><em>In reply to conways65:</em></a><em> If shes using a nexus device then go with Google Fi otherwise might want to look into Sprint or Verizon as ATT &amp; Tmobile are bad in NY.</em></p>

• the_writing_critic

Premium Member
    08 March, 2017 - 7:57 am

<p>Curious what your thoughts are on the HP Pavilion x2 12 laptop. It is a 12" detatchable with a 3:2 HD display. Have you had any hands-on time with it? I am looking to replace my Surface Pro 2 with it, and it seems to have similar performace. Found it at Office Depot for $329.</p><p><br></p><p>HP Store: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-x2—12-b166nr</p><p><br></p&gt;

• Kudupa

08 March, 2017 - 9:47 am

<p>So im facing an peculiar issue and this revolves around my laptop not waking up from sleep. Its been present since early RS2 builds and MS hasn't been able to resolve it. They are looking at it in quest and I was wondering if you or anyone else come across this bug?</p>

• Shane

Premium Member
      08 March, 2017 - 2:19 pm

<blockquote><a href="#89160"><em>In reply to Kudupa:</em></a></blockquote><p>My pro 4 for some reason all of a sudden has trouble waking up after I place the keyboard over the screen. Most time requires a soft reset.</p><p>Also using the power button to put it to sleep causes the same issue.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC