We Help Wednesday 8/30

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 15 comments

• ErichK

Premium Member
    29 August, 2017 - 4:49 pm

<p>Hi Brad, not really a question — just wanted to let you and Rafael know that I hooked up a Cat5 cable to my Xbox One, all is well now (I was the guy with issues a couple weeks ago). Also I divided my Wi-Fi signal into separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.</p>

• Laminar Flow

29 August, 2017 - 9:25 pm

<p>Since the google home can now make calls and it can also be used at a Bluetooth speaker can you answer a phone call on the google home while your phone is connected to it via Bluetooth?</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      30 August, 2017 - 1:21 pm

<blockquote><a href="#169677"><em>In reply to Laminar Flow:</em></a></blockquote><p>Per Google, no. "<span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(33, 33, 33);">We’re starting with outgoing calls, and we don’t have additional details to share regarding inbound calls."</span></p>

• ChristopherCollins

Premium Member
    30 August, 2017 - 12:24 am

<p>Can you guys offer some suggestions for Edge &amp; 'Cast To Device'? Beginning with the Creator's update, you can no longer cast a web page or video to an XB One, etc… The same problem is broken up into a ton of threads between Insider &amp; Edge Dev. Because it is listed so many times, the number of users affected is inaccurate (Instead of 1 item with 500 'this affects me', It's more like 100 items with 5 'this affects me').</p><p><br></p><p>It was actually the only thing I used Edge for and has been broken from 1703 on… I'd like a way to cast a video to XB One without buying a Chromecast or Miracast dongle. Worked fine prior to Creator's. Maybe some love on your show might get it out to them better.</p><p><br></p><p>The ONE thing Edge was good for (in my eyes) is gone.</p>

• genevangampelaere

30 August, 2017 - 5:38 am

<p>Is there any news about bringing Skype for Business to web? I want to use it on a Chromebook.</p>

• MattHewitt

Premium Member
    30 August, 2017 - 8:32 am

<p>Not really a "We Help" question, but more of a thought experiment if you guys have the time.</p><p><br></p><p>I have this crazy theory that Microsoft would've been better off not buying Nokia and using all of that money to distribute free Windows Phones out to influencers to help gain marketshare and mindshare and eventually reach an inflection point where developers would be interested. Obviously that's a very Monday morning quarterback type of thing to say, but do you have any thoughts?</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 August, 2017 - 9:00 am

<p>What time are doing the show? Oh. The same time we always do it?</p>

• andrewtechhelp

Premium Member
    30 August, 2017 - 9:40 am

<p>This question is probably a Rafael style question, so sorry I missed the We Help Wednesday from a few weeks ago.</p><p><br></p><p>With Windows 10 S, Microsoft promotes this SKU of Windows by talking about how apps delivered via the Windows Store won't slow down your system over time. They say this is achieved through a number of measures, one being that Store Apps don't have processes running in the background such as updaters etc.</p><p><br></p><p>However, several of the apps in the Windows Store that use the Centennial Desktop Bridge install processes that load at startup.</p><p>Examples:</p><p><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>Spotify</strong> – The default behaviour for Spotify, even when obtained via the Windows Store is to start up when Windows signs in. This actually annoys me about Spotify and I turn it off whenever I install it</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>ShareX</strong> – This also configures itself to start up when Windows signs in. This I can understand, it needs to be running to be activated on request.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>EarTrumpet</strong> (which I think Rafael wrote) – This I also understand needs to start up when Windows signs in, so it can sit in your Notification Area on the Taskbar to use it.</p><p><br></p><p>None of these applications are starting updater background processes, and in some cases starting background processes on startup is critical for the entire point of the application, but they're still running in the background just like on Windows 10 Pro.</p><p><br></p><p>So the 2 questions that come out of this are:&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p><strong>What would stop a Windows 10 S system from become just as slow and clogged up as a Windows 10 Pro system by simply installing a bunch of apps from the Windows Store that install background processes?&nbsp;</strong></p><p><br></p><p><strong>AND</strong></p><p><br></p><p><strong>Does Windows 10 S or the Centennial Desktop Bridge limit the amount of resources these processes can use in the background or the types of things that can be done in the background, or is it identical to how it works on Windows 10 Pro without the Centennial Desktop Bridge?</strong></p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      30 August, 2017 - 1:45 pm

<blockquote><a href="#169731"><em>In reply to andrewtechhelp:</em></a></blockquote><p>Rafael is looking into this. Great question(s).</p>

• Sprtfan

30 August, 2017 - 9:53 am

<p>Any idea if Microsoft will ever add Bookings to any of the levels for Office 365 Education? I work at a University and we are always looking for better ways to reserve resources and this looks like a perfect fit. Right now it is only available on Office 365 Business Premium though.</p>

• Simard57

30 August, 2017 - 10:44 am

<p>I have been less than impressed with the battery life of a new X360 so I decided to dive into task manager to see what might be causing the fan to run and laptop getting hot.</p><p><br></p><p>OneDrive is the culprit – CPU usage is hovering at 30-40%. I chose to sync Documents and Photos which amounts to about 170 GB (I think) and it continues to sync. but the odd thing is OneDrive is showing a lot of CPU usage but not so much on Network utilization. any idea how long this should take? I hope to get a better handle on the expected battery life. Right now – kind of concerned with what I am seeing.</p><p><br></p><p>I googled it and came across a recommendation to uninstall OneDrive and reinstall it. I did that and chose fewer files to sync. After that succeeded, I felt confident and chose the entire Document and Photos Folder on OneDrive – same symptom. It is stuck @ 3.9 GB of 50.1 GB downloads and high CPU usage and no Network usage!</p><p><br></p><p>thoughts how to get over this? It is only showing 2-3 hours on battery right now and short of killing OneDrive, I don't know how to make it finish</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC