From the Editor’s Desk for Monday, August 30

Ah boy. This is a big one.

Here’s a place for any questions or comments you have about this week’s Premium newsletter.

Thanks!

Paul

Conversation 28 comments

• jcraggie

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:10 pm

<p>Wishing Brad all the best in his new endeavor. As Paul said, he’ll nail it.</p>

• wbhite

Premium Member

<p>Wow, just finished the newsletter and had no idea Brad was leaving. But, as you said, at least he’ll still have a presence. And as for you, Paul, I wouldn’t sweat a thing; you’re <strong><em>the </em></strong>outside Microsoft guy. Lots of us (like, way more than a dozen) lean on you and this site for info. Hell, it’s why I throw money at it every year. ;)</p><p><br></p><p>Good luck to Brad and good luck to Thurrott.com’s continued success.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member

<p>Brother, you will be missed greatly! Best of luck with the new position. </p><p><br></p><p>Dammit!</p>

• johnlavey

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:12 pm

<p>All the best to Brad in his dual roles. Two roles are better than one.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      31 August, 2021 - 1:15 am

<p>I think you got that wrong, two <em>rolls</em> are better than one. ;-)</p><p><br></p><p>All the best Brad. As I said over at FRD, I hope Stardock is everything you hope it will be.</p>

• mikeharris123

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:13 pm

<p>Good luck Brad, a big fan of Stardock software as well as this web site so hopefully it should be good for all of us</p>

• seattlemike

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:15 pm

<p>Congrats Brad! Best of luck in your new venture but I am sure glad you’re sticking around for the podcasts. They are a daily habit of mine that I’d hate to do without.</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks for all you’ve done here!</p>

• waharris007

30 August, 2021 - 12:16 pm

<p>Oh no! I’ve been listening to more news than normal lately, so I’m way behind of FRD and is the first I’m hearing of this. I LOVE the dynamic between Paul and Brad, and it has been great to "get to know" Brad over the past few years. Good luck and God bless to him! I’m also a Stardock user and fan, though, so it’s at least comforting to hear he’s going to stay "in the family." Cheers, Brad! </p>

• peterc

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:16 pm

<p>Brad, good luck in your new adventure. I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed the “cut and thrust” of your quick wit, humour and commentary. Thank you and <em>bon chance mes ami!</em> </p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 12:37 pm

<p>Best wishes on the new adventure Brad! I’m glad to hear you’ll be staying on to record FRD, which is a bright light of good-natured snark in these times of dark news. </p><p>Paul, my inbox is open any time you need to vent ;)</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      30 August, 2021 - 1:24 pm

<p>lol thanks :)</p>

• maddycom

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 1:03 pm

<p>Good Luck Brad</p>

• north of 49th

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 1:40 pm

<p>Congrats Brad on the new path. I’m glad you will still be doing the FRD podcasts.</p>

• dbonds

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 2:01 pm

<p>Good luck to Brad at Stardock. I’ve followed them since the OS/2 days and am sure he’ll be successful there. Definitely will be missed here, but as many others have mentioned, I’m very happy to hear FRD will continue – the podcast has been both a welcome distraction from the daily grind as well as a quick update on current events in the tech space. </p>

• olditpro2000

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 2:21 pm

<p>Brad, we will miss you here immensely. Glad to hear you’ll still be doing FRD and we’ll keep following you on Twitter.</p><p><br></p><p>Paul, you can vent directly to us anytime. :)</p>

• carlrhorn

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 3:15 pm

<p>Well said Paul. All the best to you Brad on your new adventure. We will miss you and hope you continue to contribute to the site. I enjoy you and Paul’s work. Thanks for a job well done</p>

• jmeiii75

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 3:56 pm

<p>First, a big congratulations to Brad and his new role at Stardock. I’m a fan and regular user of their products. I love the way they always seem to get it right where Microsoft couldn’t. Brad, you’re great at BWW and you will be even greater at Stardock. Selfishly, I’m glad we, as viewers, will not lose you on FRD and TSR. The chemistry that you have with Paul is so natural and something that doesn’t come along all that often. </p><p><br></p><p>Paul, I did want to touch on something that really hit home with me in the email. Specifically, your struggle to keep active connections with some of those you care about. I too, deal with this. I’ll call or visit a family member and, upon leaving, say "talk to you soon", and genuinely mean it. Before I know it, months have gone by before it occurs to me that I have not followed through on my promise. Maybe I’m wrapped up in my own BS (we all have plenty of that) and that causes this seeming lack of awareness. Who knows? Anyway, I call, or visit, and everything is right with the world, but the clock resets and the cycle begins again. I’ve explained (or tried to explain) this to many people over the years, and insist that I do care about what goes on in their lives and that I want to talk more but I don’t think they understand. Frankly, I don’t understand myself. It’s very hard to explain. However, I get the felling you may get it on some level, Paul.</p><p>In one of our last conversations before he passed away in February, I was able to discuss this with my father, who was often on the receiving end of this obliviousness. He said that he never doubted how I felt and that he "got it". He was similar himself and at times would forget to will me a "Happy Birthday" when I was growing up. Surprisingly, this never bother me, perhaps because we were so alike. I know he cared. he just forgot at the time and would always make up for it. Sorry for the long winded replay and it is certainly not my intention to take the focus away from Brad, where it belongs, but I just had to share because it really struck me. </p><p><br></p><p>Anyway, thanks for sharing and, although I realize this was not your intention, you did provide me some comfort today, Paul. Good to know that there may be others who "get it." Really appreciate all that you, and everyone else at BWW do. Keep it up. </p>

• christianwilson

Premium Member
      30 August, 2021 - 4:50 pm

<p>For what it’s worth, you just described me to the letter. I would like to stay connected with so many friends and family on a consistent basis but fail to do so. Time flies, my mind is on other things, and I lose touch. I feel terrible about it, try to correct it, but I just don’t think it is in my nature. The cycle repeats. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      31 August, 2021 - 1:13 am

<p>You aren’t alone. I suffer with this as well and it has cost me several friendships and relationships over the years.</p>

• bloke10

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 4:38 pm

<p>Congratulations on the new job Brad</p>

• beckoningeagle

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 5:22 pm

<p>Congratulations Brad, I wish you the best and I am glad you are not "leaving for good". I look forward to your new insights.</p>

• mcerdas

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 6:24 pm

<p>Sincere congratulations Mr. Samms! And thanks for keeping up with FRD. It will brighten and lighten the day of all us that would find our days darker and heavier otherwise. </p><p><br></p><p>And as others have offered before, please feel free to use my inbox for venting Mr. Thurrot.</p>

• hcoluccio

30 August, 2021 - 7:38 pm

<p>Good luck Brad, but you won’t need it because you have talent and that is worth more than luck. All the best to you and keep listening to Paul. We need him sane and you seem to provide that for him.</p>

• bathozar

30 August, 2021 - 8:46 pm

<p>Good Luck Brad. I listen to FRD almost every day. </p><p><br></p><p>I’m worried you have every intention of continuing the FRD podcast but as time goes on you will be pulled in more and more different directions at STARDOCK and will gradually bow out of FRD. </p><p><br></p><p>I hope I’m wrong!</p>

• adamhays

Premium Member
    30 August, 2021 - 9:13 pm

<p>Good luck, Brad! I’m so happy that you guys will continue to do FRD. Hang in there, Paul! </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    31 August, 2021 - 1:10 am

<p>I’m very much like you. I tend to drift from friendships, if I don’t have regular contact. I’ll not talk to somebody for months and just not notice it, then I’ll call them up, as if nothing happened.</p><p><br></p><p>This has cost me relationships in the past. I’d get so caught up in other things, that everything just falls to the wayside. I’d be revising for exams, then taking exams, only to realise I hadn’t spoken to my best friend for 3 months!</p><p><br></p><p>Moving away and working full time was similar. I held contact with my old friends for a while, but as I was being assigned for longer and longer periods on contracts, where I was in a hotel 6 nights a week, contacts drifted – back then, there were no mobile phones and calling from the hotel room was the equivalent of about $5 a minute.</p><p><br></p><p>COVID hasn’t made it any easier, not having face-to-face contact with people.</p><p><br></p><p>I tried Facebook back in the early days, but the security and privacy issues are just too much of a headache, and I found I’d binge a few hours of Facebook every couple of months, but there was so much going on in my real life, I just never used it regularly.</p><p><br></p><p>Here and TWiT are probably my "social networks", because I am interested in tech and read the tech news on a daily basis, so I keep reading the comments here.</p>

• i_khan

Premium Member
    31 August, 2021 - 10:43 am

<p>Congratulations to Brad!</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    31 August, 2021 - 12:53 pm

<p><br></p><p>Congrats. Keep us posted on Stardock happenings and futures.</p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC