Pixel 3 and 3 XL reportedly $600 & $700 on Black Friday.

I was wondering if I should get it. Any honest opinions? I have the first Pixel and am happy with it. I know several people who have the Pixel 2 XL and rave about their phones. I know there are some problems with the phone right now, but every phone released has problems including the iPhone. I have used the iPhone for years before I purchased my Pixel 2 years ago which has been great for me. I am sure all the problems will be fixed and the Pixel 3 XL will be the best smartphone in the market as was the Pixel 2 XL for the majority of the year. I almost bought the Pixel 2 XL because of all the great reviews it received in addition to the fact that it was on sale for $500 (this past July) from some store I saw at Techbargains.com.

I guess my real question is, with Google’s continued release of great products and services, will the Pixel 3 XL really be a game changer for me? Right now I am running Pie on my Pixel XL and since software is everything, do I really need a Pixel 3 XL? $700 for a Pixel 3 XL , as reported by Cnet, is a great deal isn’t it?

Thanks.

Conversation 8 comments

• simont

Premium Member
    11 November, 2018 - 9:42 pm

<p>Paul's review of the Pixel 3 was negative. Great camera let down by other issues, just something to consider.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    12 November, 2018 - 7:36 am

<p>Also, I believe that these prices are for Verizon-only Pixel 3s.</p>

• Bats

12 November, 2018 - 10:56 am

<p>LOL…Knew it! Did I not say that this phone was going to go on sale on Black Friday or sometime during the Holiday season? Verizon put this on sale last year and I see that Best Buy is doing it this year. It makes all the sense in the world, to just wait one month! My goodness they do this with the iPhone and the Galaxy phones as well.</p><p><br></p><p>Dude, you are right on all counts. Google is going to fix the 3 XL and it's going to become the "best" smartphone of the year as is the Pixel 2 XL this year. This will happen, guaranteed. If it doesn't, you're talking massive lawsuit and I don't think Google wants that. The lawsuit would be fruitless, but a waste of time and energy on the company's part.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>Anyway, thanks for this info. I am most likely going to buy 3 of them now.&nbsp;</p>

• dcdevito

13 November, 2018 - 8:41 am

<p>They're good phones, and I love my 2 XL. But they sure as heck aren't worth the retail price Google is charging. All the tech companies are nuts for this but Google is by far the drunkest. </p>

• jprestig

13 November, 2018 - 10:01 am

<p>I made it about 5 days with the 3 XL before returning it. If the phone had been $599, I would have loved it. But it was not worth the $1029 I was paying for it(128GB, through Verizon). There shouldn't be that many issues with a $1K phone right out of the box.</p><p><br></p><p> </p>

• Tomaz

27 November, 2018 - 11:08 pm

<p>In case anyone wants to know, I bought my Pixel 3 XL on Black Friday for anput $450 (including Ebates) at the Verizon store. THIS IS THE BEST PHONE I have ever owned so far! It's so better and faster, than my iPhone 8+ and it has everything and more I could need. The customization features are incredible and so refreshing, after years of using the iPhone. I switched to this phone because I was impressed with my friend's Pixel 3 XL and I had to have it.</p><p><br></p><p>I am not blind of the what is being said of this phone. However, my friend's phone is working perfectly and I feel confident that it will do the same for me. I love the speakers of this phone. It's so loud and clear. Even when the volume is raised to the max, it's really good.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>I have been reading this site for a long time and I thought that this phone was going to be bad, but it's not. I have had it since Friday and everything has been running perfect. I can't believe how fast this is! Did I mention the camera? The super-selfie mode is amazing. I already took 15 pictures of me and relatives during the Thanksgiving weekend. Guys, the camera is incredible. The Night Sight really works!</p><p><br></p><p>I can't believe I got this phone for only $450! I know why this phone is expensive, it's the camera. All the expensive phones have the best cameras. You are paying for the camera. My friend is so jealous because he couldn't wait and pre-ordered the phone. He spent about $1k on it and I only spend about $900 for two! I had to buy the second one for my wife, because she really is the camera person in the family, while I am Instagram Husband.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>I am aware of the issues people are having with this phone. However, my friend told me to ignore them. That's because those people punish there phones. As long as I don't do anything out of the ordinary, I'll be fine. I love this Pixel 3 XL.&nbsp;Best phone ever!</p>

• ggolcher

Premium Member
    28 November, 2018 - 10:58 am

<p>Actually, Google Fi had the same promotion. I got a Pixel 3 for $600 being a Google Fi customer.</p><p><br></p><p>PS: It's now officially Google Fi, by the way (https://fi.google.com/about/)</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC