$4.00 Android Mini Computer Review!

Yesterday, I acquired an interesting little device at Savers thrift store for only $3.99. While shopping, I noticed the Android logo on the top, and an array of ports on the rear. I immediately grabbed it, and bought it.

After returning home, I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly. It has Android 4.4.2 installed on it currently. After further research, I found it also has a Quad core processor, and presumably 1-4GB of RAM? It also has 16GB of storage.

The mini Android PC has a wide variety of apps preinstalled, from Netflix, to Google’s apps, to a file browser. All the apps open up, very quickly, without any hesitation.

As for ports, it has two USBs, an optical out, AV out, ethernet, another mini USB port, and a HDMI out for TVs or a computer monitor.

Performance wise; the little computer is snappy, and fast so far. It boots fairly quick also. Apps like Fallout Shelter run smoothly, and web browsing does as well.

For the Design; the little Android PC, is pretty generic looking, with shiny black plastic and matte silver. It is also pretty lightweight too, but doesn’t feel cheap.

Overall

This Android mini computer I bought, for $4.00, is not bad at all. It can be used for either a media streaming device, or as a second mini PC! Overall, it’s an interesting little machine, with tons of potential!

Conversation 5 comments

• arunphilip

16 January, 2018 - 8:28 pm

<p>It would be nice if you could install CPU-Z on it (or something equivalent) and identify the underlying hardware – i.e. the SOC, amount of RAM, storage, etc. </p><p><br></p><p>$4 is laughably cheap, so well done on a great purchase. </p><p><br></p><p>Let's see – this is a phone, minus the telephony radios (and associated licenses), minus the GPS (I assume), minus the screen, cameras and batteries. It just goes to show how commoditized these core SOCs are. It also shows why manufacturers are now nuts about putting Wi-Fi/Bluetooth into all sorts of devices (washing machines, etc.) as the increase in bill of materials is negligible at the same time giving a nice marketing bullet point. </p><p><br></p><p>PS: I hope you have a burner Google account to use while signing into such devices of unknown provenance. You never know what sort of info these devices might be phoning home. </p>

• peten1020

17 January, 2018 - 3:28 am

<blockquote><a href="#238284"><em>+</em></a><em>1 Adding a device to your home network from an unknown source is not something you should do.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• sprewell

17 January, 2018 - 12:25 am

<p>Install the Termux app for a command line, and run `top` and `cat /proc/cpuinfo` to get RAM and CPU info. Amazing price but doubt it really costs that little, they probably just dumped it on thrift stores after it didn't sell at a much higher price.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    17 January, 2018 - 9:54 am

<p>You can't beat the price. 🙂 That is amazing.</p>

• poscad

27 January, 2018 - 12:24 am

<p>This is very useful post. andoid mini computer is now very popular computer used many peoples.i am also used this computer for business.i am working in the <a href="http://cadvilpos.com/&quot; target="_blank">retail pos software Company Dubai</a> .all of our business processed by using the pos software. pos is a point of sale used for data entry,cash registering etc. anyway, thanks a lot for sharing this post. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC