Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1

Paul, any chance you would consider reviewing Dell’s new Latitude 7400 2-in-1? I look forward to your hardware reviews and I know you review many devices each year–perhaps to the point of overload. But this particular notebook looks like nothing Dell has made before–it appears to be a perfect combination of the XPS line’s premium materials and finishes and the Latitude line’s business-focused feature set. I’m especially curious about the usefulness of the proximity sensor that detects your presence and causes the laptop wake up in combination with the Windows Hello camera. And since you have a history of reviews, I’m especially interested to know what you think of this machine compared to those from other manufacturers with which it competes–Thinkpad X1 Yoga, HP EliteBook x360 1040, etc. I remember you mentioning that you prefer 14″ screens as do I, and I have a longstanding affinity for Dell products (say what you will…), so this 7400 2-in-1 has me very interested.

Conversation 3 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    02 March, 2019 - 3:48 pm

<p>I'll look into it, thanks. No promises, sorry.</p>

• ikjadoon

04 March, 2019 - 12:10 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#408517">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'd love a review, too, of the Latitude 7400 2-in-1!</p><p><br></p><p>The best reason to review the Latitude 7400 2-in-1: It's one of the world's first (unofficially) Project Athena certified laptops (source). This is Intel's Second Coming after Ultrabooks, which have overwhelmingly taken over the consumer laptop market.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>A great deep-dive read on Intel's Project Athena (which is still just the code name; actual name is TBA) is on PC World.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Much more consumer-friendly than Ultrabooks ("Thinner! Thinner! More! More!"). A quick list of rough requirements from Intel:</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>1. Some minimum battery life at 300 nits brightness using "real-world tests" (not the BS video rundown test)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>2. Must use ultra-responsive system controllers for instant sleep-to-wake (Intel's requirement: "When you open the lid…it's got to respond instantaneously. You can have the confidence that you can open the lid, get the task done and then close it.")</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>3. Should be a multi-tasking beast (Intel's direction: "Get rid of the spinning circles in Windows &amp; the beach ball in Macs").</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>4. Maximum ~3lbs weight</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>5. Minimum 9mm thick (yes! a minimum)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>6. Must use USB type-C fast-charging</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>7. Muse have one Thunderbolt 3 port and Gigabit WiFi</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Everybody's doing at least one Project Athena flagship, at least: Microsoft, Lenovo, Dell, HP, Google (yup), Samsung, Sharp, etc. My biggest hope is for faster wake-up times. Wouldn't it be great, in a fairy tale world, for Windows laptops to wake up and sleep as fast as phones do today? I actually really like where Intel's going with this.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I'd love to see a review, too!</p>

• ikjadoon

04 March, 2019 - 12:12 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#408740">In reply to ikjadoon:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Links wouldn't post. Shrug…both articles are easy to find online ;)</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC