Here comes USB4, goodbye Thunderbolt 3

Looks like we still have more USB options coming by the end of 2019 and my guess is this is what Surface will move to, along with everyone else. USB4 is basically replacing Thunderbolt 3 to eliminate the costs for licensing. Yet another USB-C connector that will now get merged into 3.1, 3.2, and now 4.0.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005215/en/USB-Promoter-Group-Announces-USB4-Specification

Comments (19)

19 responses to “Here comes USB4, goodbye Thunderbolt 3”

1. jimchamplin

How dare they.

2. rob_segal

Not confused enough? Okay, here is USB4!

If I drank alcohol, this kind of stuff would drive me to drink. Instead, I'm going to drown my confusions with a nice glass of water.

3. locust infested orchard inc

Considering the very recent debacle under the stewardship of USB-IF (USB Implementers Forum), of the naming of what is essentially USB 3.2, but named USB 3 Gen 2x2, as highlighted in last week's article by Paul Thurrott, one should not be surprised if the first USB 4 is called USB 4 Gen 1×2 USB 3 Gen 2×2.

4. simont

Looks great, problem is the standard is not officially released yet, so only expect USB4.0 production in 2020 :(

5. madthinus

Make sense to merge the two and go forward as a single standard and be done with it.

6. codymesh

ARE YOU [email protected] KIDDING ME.

so all of these years since the introduction of the USB-C connector, with USB 3.1 and the whole confusion of a USB-C port being able to masquarade as a USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 or thunderbolt port,

YOU'RE TELLING US IT IS ALL JUST GOING COME FULL CIRCLE ANYWAY?

Why should any laptop vendor ship a USB 3.2 port right now? Can we just make it all thunderbolt everywhere? Why even bother with anything that's in between?