Here comes USB4, goodbye Thunderbolt 3

Looks like we still have more USB options coming by the end of 2019 and my guess is this is what Surface will move to, along with everyone else. USB4 is basically replacing Thunderbolt 3 to eliminate the costs for licensing. Yet another USB-C connector that will now get merged into 3.1, 3.2, and now 4.0.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005215/en/USB-Promoter-Group-Announces-USB4-Specification

Conversation 19 comments

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    04 March, 2019 - 12:18 pm

<p>How dare they.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    04 March, 2019 - 12:21 pm

<p>Looks great, problem is the standard is not officially released yet, so only expect USB4.0 production in 2020 :(</p>

• will

Premium Member
      04 March, 2019 - 12:46 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#408881">In reply to simont:</a></em></blockquote><p>Correct, I worded that wrong in that it should be completed this year with devices possibly as early as next year. </p><p><br></p><p>What I am curious about is how would you tell this apart from 3.1 or 3.2 on a device unless there is some sort of marking on the cable and connectors?</p>

• karlinhigh

Premium Member
        04 March, 2019 - 4:26 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#408883">In reply to will:</a></em></blockquote><p>Well, they used blue ports for USB 3. Maybe they could use a different color this time?</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          05 March, 2019 - 8:59 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#408955">In reply to karlinhigh:</a></em></blockquote><p>Given that it will be backwards compatible, rainbow?</p>

• simont

Premium Member
        05 March, 2019 - 9:08 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#408883">In reply to will:</a></em></blockquote><p>The tiny icons next to the USB port that the device manufacturer may or may not put there and hope they are not lying about the port</p>

• codymesh

04 March, 2019 - 1:13 pm

<p>ARE YOU F@CKING KIDDING ME.</p><p><br></p><p>so all of these years since the introduction of the USB-C connector, with USB 3.1 and the whole confusion of a USB-C port being able to masquarade as a USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 <em>or </em>thunderbolt port,</p><p><br></p><p>YOU'RE TELLING US IT IS ALL JUST GOING COME FULL CIRCLE ANYWAY?</p><p><br></p><p>Why should any laptop vendor ship a USB 3.2 port right now? Can we just make it all thunderbolt everywhere? Why even bother with anything that's in between?</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    04 March, 2019 - 2:08 pm

<p>Make sense to merge the two and go forward as a single standard and be done with it. </p>

• will

Premium Member
      04 March, 2019 - 7:47 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#408917">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>Make me curious if this will be the end of Thunderbolt and will just be USB whatever going forward? </p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
        07 March, 2019 - 1:21 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#408980">In reply to will:</a></em></blockquote><p>Or just Thunderbolt going forward. Easy to forget, Intel build both these and have started with both as proprietary and later open it to all. </p>

• locust infested orchard inc

04 March, 2019 - 8:24 pm

<p>Considering the very recent debacle <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">under the stewardship of USB-IF (USB Implementers Forum), </span>of the naming of what is essentially USB 3.2, but named USB 3 Gen 2×2, <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">as highlighted in last week's article by Paul Thurrott,</span> one should not be surprised if the first USB 4 is called USB 4 Gen 1×2 USB 3 Gen 2×2.</p>

• kshsystems

Premium Member
      05 March, 2019 - 6:02 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#408986">In reply to locust infested orchard inc:</a></em></blockquote><p>the sad part is that your probably right.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    04 March, 2019 - 8:54 pm

<p>Not confused enough? Okay, here is USB4! </p><p><br></p><p>If I drank alcohol, this kind of stuff would drive me to drink. Instead, I'm going to drown my confusions with a nice glass of water.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      06 March, 2019 - 7:09 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#408988">In reply to rob_segal:</a></em></blockquote><p>Don't worry. They'll announce USB V next week.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        07 March, 2019 - 12:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#409397">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>No, no, no Paul. 5 through 9 will appear quickly, then it will be USB-X, the last USB you will ever need.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          07 March, 2019 - 1:35 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#409685">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>They'll skip six through nine, then rebrand everything.</p><p><br></p><p>USB 1 will be USB X Mode 0 for example. </p><p><br></p><p>And yes. This time the X will be pronounced "Ecks" not "Ten."</p>

• locust infested orchard inc

07 March, 2019 - 11:09 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#409689">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>The evolutionary iteration of USB X will presumably be USB XS, followed by USB XS Max. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC