New Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 has 16:10 display

It isn’t quite the 3:2 Paul longs for, but it’s a step closer. Looks like a sweet machine, too, with Ice Lake processors. However, the new version isn’t fanless. Hmmm….

Comments (5)

5 responses to “New Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 has 16:10 display”

1. Paul Thurrott

Nice. Definitely a step in the right direction.

2. longhorn

It has always been possible to build a 2-in-1 with 16:10 screen and certify it for Windows. It's laptops that are restricted to 16:9 screens (unless ARM). Huawei and Chuwi also managed to build 3:2 laptops that shipped with Windows, not really sure how that happened.

I think the 16:9 thing might be beneficial for the environment because fewer laptops are sold. Scaling doesn't work that well on small 16:9 screens because then you really need vertical space to make up for lost pixels.

If you don't like 16:9 and want Windows the Surface laptop is the obvious choice and I think that's how it is meant to be.

• Paul Thurrott

In reply to longhorn:

Lenovo told me a few years back they stuck with 4:3 and then 16:10 for as long as they could, but the market was just barreling to 16:9 and now that's where the economics are. It's just a lot more expensive to get parts that aren't 16:9.

• longhorn

In reply to paul-thurrott:

If people are willing to pay for Surface Laptop, why wouldn't they be willing to pay for 3:2 screens fitted on HPs, Dells and ThinkPads? I think there is a market for premium laptops even if they aren't named Mac and Surface.

There is no need for Windows OEMs to play in second division unless they have accepted that this is their assigned role.

• paradyne

In reply to longhorn:

Where on Earth did you get the idea that laptops have to be 'certified' and that Microsoft would in some way restrict screen aspect choices? That sounds Apple-esque. Microsoft will sell licences to anyone that wants to buy them.

Bizarre.

Huawei Matebook X Pro with 3:2 screen is great though :-)

Leave a Reply