New Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 has 16:10 display

It isn’t quite the 3:2 Paul longs for, but it’s a step closer. Looks like a sweet machine, too, with Ice Lake processors. However, the new version isn’t fanless. Hmmm….

Conversation 5 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    11 August, 2019 - 7:13 am

<p>Nice. Definitely a step in the right direction.</p>

• longhorn

11 August, 2019 - 4:56 pm

<p>It has always been possible to build a 2-in-1 with 16:10 screen and certify it for Windows. It's laptops that are restricted to 16:9 screens (unless ARM). Huawei and Chuwi also managed to build 3:2 laptops that shipped with Windows, not really sure how that happened.</p><p><br></p><p>I think the 16:9 thing might be beneficial for the environment because fewer laptops are sold. Scaling doesn't work that well on small 16:9 screens because then you really need vertical space to make up for lost pixels.</p><p><br></p><p>If you don't like 16:9 and want Windows the Surface laptop is the obvious choice and I think that's how it is meant to be.</p><p><br></p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      12 August, 2019 - 7:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#448733">In reply to longhorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>Lenovo told me a few years back they stuck with 4:3 and then 16:10 for as long as they could, but the market was just barreling to 16:9 and now that's where the economics are. It's just a lot more expensive to get parts that aren't 16:9.</p>

• longhorn

12 August, 2019 - 4:34 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#448822">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>If people are willing to pay for Surface Laptop, why wouldn't they be willing to pay for 3:2 screens fitted on HPs, Dells and ThinkPads? I think there is a market for premium laptops even if they aren't named Mac and Surface.</p><p><br></p><p>There is no need for Windows OEMs to play in second division unless they have accepted that this is their assigned role.</p><p><br></p>

• paradyne

13 August, 2019 - 6:41 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#448733">In reply to longhorn:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Where on Earth did you get the idea that laptops have to be 'certified' and that Microsoft would in some way restrict screen aspect choices? That sounds Apple-esque. Microsoft will sell licences to anyone that wants to buy them.</p><p><br></p><p>Bizarre.</p><p><br></p><p>Huawei Matebook X Pro with 3:2 screen is great though :-)</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC