Note 10 Initial Thoughts

I just got my 10+…as mentioned in many posts, I go back and forth between a Note and Pixel with the camera being the decision maker but here are some very early thoughts…

• Let me cut to the chase…at this point, I still think the Pixel 3 XL takes the best photos. I’ve already battled blurry shots, loss of detail in zoomed in photos…battles I had with the Note 9. But the phone has taken some great shots as well…I have to get it credit there. The Pixel just seems to be more consistently great. And the Pixel is way better at low night shots. That said, considering all of the features that the Note 10 has and with the promise of continued Microsoft Integration, is it worth it to have a “Good Enough Great Camera” and not move to the Pixel 4 XL later?
  • Memory Management is already so much better than on my Pixel. Like night and day with apps having to reload all the time on the Pixel and here, they come back up like you left them.
  • As always, the screen is amazing.
  • On my Verizon Note 10+, a lot of bloat ware but all uninstallable or at least the option to disable.
  • Samsung apps, as expected, cannot be disabled
  • I immediately tried “Link To Windows” and it worked great. YourPhone built into the Note 10 is working well.
  • Though no fault of the phone, there is still work to be done with syncing “read” messages with YourPhone.
  • Screen Mirroring works surprisingly well. I believe you do need to be on the same network.
  • 256GB minimum storage is great. I know people like MicroSD option but to me, it always caused lag issues with the phones.
  • I am glad I pay for 2TB Google One as I forget I don’t get unlimited full res backup with Google Photos.
  • I’ve been using a Galaxy Watch for over a year now and it works as expected. I am giving Samsung Messages a fair shot since it works a little better with the watch but beyond a little more historical texts, no real advantage in using it over Android Messages.
  • Dex works great on both the Windows App via USB C or a USB C to HDMI cord directly into monitor. Even played media on the Windows App and worked flawlessly. Need it or not, it is a very nice option to have.

Conversation 13 comments

• yoshi

Premium Member
    27 August, 2019 - 7:06 am

<p>Curious if you sync Outlook.com calendar with the stock Samsung calendar app. I noticed that my all day events end up spanning 2 days in the stock app. Only with Outlook.com though, not Google Calendar.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
      27 August, 2019 - 9:14 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#451970">In reply to yoshi:</a></em></blockquote><p>I've not yet tried that. I guess I could, in tandem, with my Google Calendar. The only thing keeping me on my Google Calendar is that I still actively use Google Home products and I use and like Google Duo…still part of my daily routine and life. I thought about experimenting with just Cortana and my two Harmon Kardon speakers but the writing is on the wall there. And I doubt we will see the Galaxy Home speaker and even at that, it wouldn't be a good investment.</p><p><br></p><p>I do know in the past, I had issues syncing my Outlook Contacts with an Android phone but that was a few years ago…it might have improved a lot by now. </p>

• yoshi

Premium Member
        27 August, 2019 - 9:33 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#452009">In reply to wolters:</a></em></blockquote><p>Unfortunately, Outlook Contacts is still a mess when syncing with either Android or iOS. Birthdays never sync right for me. Always a day off. And profile photos won't sync either.</p><p><br></p><p>None of this is a deal-breaker for me, since I use mostly Google stuff anyway. And I do love the Note so far. I miss the Pixel photos, but I've been pretty happy with the Note pictures so far.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
          27 August, 2019 - 10:51 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#452013">In reply to yoshi:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'm going to give the Note 10+ a fair treatment on the photos. It is far from bad and video, oh wow, video just cleans up the Pixel 3 XL for sure. </p><p><br></p><p>I will say the performance is so much better than my Pixel 3 XL. Gone are my web-pages logging out or closing out due to 4GB limitation. It is so refreshing. </p><p><br></p><p>I've not taken any definitive photos yet (hope to this weekend) but I'm starting to believe I can live with this camera just to have the wealth of features on the Note 10, I plan on staying on it and seeing how the Pixel 4 XL turns out. </p>

• bassoprofundo

Premium Member
            27 August, 2019 - 11:21 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#452028">In reply to wolters:</a></em></blockquote><p>The performance delta can't be understated here… I've used every Samsung flagship since the S7E with multiple stints with the Pixels in between, and despite how "clean" the software is on the Pixel side, the latest flagships are in a whole other league. I'd been using an S10+ for a while before moving to the N10+ last week, and in the interim went back to a P3XL. Holy cow, did I forget about its quirks. Random app closing, stupid BT and/or audio issues, bucktooth notch… I guess I'm a little less picky on the camera side, but I find the S10 &amp; N10+ cameras right up there with the best… certainly good enough to live with when you look at what else you're getting on the phone as a whole. </p>

• yoshi

Premium Member
              27 August, 2019 - 1:19 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#452038">In reply to bassoprofundo:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yeah, the performance has been unreal. I went from a 3a XL to this. I never found the 3a to be particularly slow, until now.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
              27 August, 2019 - 4:46 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#452038">In reply to bassoprofundo:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes…I'm learning not to be such a "camera snob" and I may stay for the overall awesome experience I've had so far with the Note 10+. I have the Galaxy Watch and while it worked great with the Pixel 3 XL, it just seems more cohesive with the Note 10+. And, I used my $150 pre-order special on the Galaxy Buds, so looking forward to that. I have a Gear 360 camera I had when I pre-ordered a Note 8 and it still works like a champ on the Note 10+. </p><p><br></p>

• bassoprofundo

Premium Member
                30 August, 2019 - 9:57 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#452134">In reply to wolters:</a></em></blockquote><p>The Watch and Buds are other things keeping me here. You're right, too. It's possible to get them going with any phone, but the experience is seamless with a Samsung phone.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
                  05 September, 2019 - 7:00 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#453213">In reply to bassoprofundo:</a></em></blockquote><p>Agreed…the "ecosystem" feels just so much more cohesive…if we only had true Pixel Buds and a Pixel Watch… 😉 </p>

• minke

06 September, 2019 - 10:38 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#452134">In reply to wolters:</a></em></blockquote><p>It's not being a "camera snob" if high quality photos are near the top of your list of criteria. Personally, I choose the phone based on the camera. Plus, I periodically help my father with his Samsung phones and I would be driven nuts by all the bloatware installed. To each his own, and we all have to evaluate phones based on what we want. One size does not fit all.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
                  07 September, 2019 - 8:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#460663">In reply to Minke:</a></em></blockquote><p>Agreed…and I'm starting to become frustrated with the camera, once again. It is just not consistent like a Pixel. </p>

• Winner

27 August, 2019 - 2:26 pm

<p>Thanks for the review!</p><p>You say memory management is better but I wonder if it is just more a function of having more memory, not the management per se.</p><p>My wife has a Note 8 and I have a Pixel 2XL. Have you noticed some of the things that I've found versus the two brands, and do these bother you?:</p><p>Bixby button easy to hit while going for the volume buttons</p><p>Volume buttons on left instead of right</p><p>Samsung buttons not raised like on Pixel (at least my/my wife's phones), they are harder to find by feel</p><p>FP sensor on Samsungs was less quick and reliable to register, not sure how that may have changed?</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
      27 August, 2019 - 4:53 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#452100">In reply to Winner:</a></em></blockquote><p>It may be a combo of both having 12 gigs of memory and memory management. Example…I have a Google Hangouts account not associated with my main Google account so often when I use it, it is logged into an in-private Chrome tab. On the Pixel, it was constantly being refreshed and often signed out. On the Note 10+, it stays up consistently. </p><p><br></p><p>The more I use the Note 10, the less I miss the Pixel. I've not given the camera the best run through yet but it has been acceptable…I noticed on the Pixel, on good shots, when you pinch to zoom, detail often stays whereas on the Note 10, it really loses detail even on a little bit of zooming. Video is amazing on the Note 10…I never could get 4K to work on my Pixel 3 XL…it would always have some kind of lag or flaw…it has been flawless on the Note 10. </p><p><br></p><p>Bixby button is easily remapped at the power button. It didn't take me long at all to get used to all buttons on left. </p><p><br></p><p>Yes, the onscreen fingerprint sensor is slow…but has been reliable…just have to get it in the right place. Face recognition is better and faster…I use both. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC