Raspberry Pi Turns 10

The Raspberry Pi Foundation celebrates its 10th anniversary:

Almost exactly ten years ago today, thousands of you set your alarms, and woke on leap-day morning to discover that we’d started selling Raspberry Pi computers. By the time our all-volunteer team gathered in the pub that evening for celebratory drinks, our licensees Farnell and RS Components had taken over 100,000 orders (despite struggling to keep their websites online under the load); we had (briefly) out-trended Lady Gaga; and Raspberry Pi was on the road to becoming a little larger than we’d planned.

A group of us had founded the Raspberry Pi Foundation in 2008, aiming to reverse the decline in applications to study Computer Science at Cambridge by providing young people with a fun, robust, low-cost computer with which they could learn to program. In May of 2011, we demoed a prototype to Rory Cellan-Jones at the BBC; the surprise popularity of his ensuing blog post was the shot in the arm we needed to get the project over the finish line.

Conversation 7 comments

• spacecamel

Premium Member
    28 February, 2022 - 9:11 am

<p>The one computer that no one asks if it will run Linux.</p>

• LT1 Z51

Premium Member
    28 February, 2022 - 9:24 am

<p>I use these to run Unifi Controllers in various places (church, parents house, my house). Cool little computers.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    28 February, 2022 - 9:34 am

<p>I have 3 here, within ARMs reach, pun intended.</p><p><br></p><p>I used to work for an open source security company and they had the little things all over the place, some running as release staging servers for their software.</p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
    28 February, 2022 - 11:14 am

<p>What a great milestone for the Raspberry Pi foundation. I have really enjoyed using their single board computers over the years for hobbyist and continuing education pursuits. </p>

• leilabd

01 March, 2022 - 2:07 pm

<p>I have three of these of various vintages: raspi1b runs and records regular speedtests on my internet connection and runs ddclient to keep my dynamic IP address updated remotely; raspi3 is a print server for a USB-only printer and raspi4 is destined to be a Pi-hole. They have been really useful and helped me learn new skills and there’s masses of online help available if needed.</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    01 March, 2022 - 3:07 pm

<p>I’ve got one and use it for studying electronics projects, and also Retro Pie. Love this little device.</p>

• BobetteVillarreal

12 April, 2022 - 5:53 pm

<p>Cute computers that enabled me to learn programming from the ground and get skills I aimed.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC