Talk me out of buying an RTX 2080

Hi everyone,

So this evening I enjoyed a session of some Toxikk deathmatch, and I have a GTX 970. There once was a time when I would upgrade my graphics card with every new generation, but heck, as far as I can tell, I’m still gaming okay even at 1440p (granted, with some games, I can’t max out every setting).

But gee … with the advent of the new Nvidia cards, I’m now two generations behind! And I’m starting to get that “feeling.”

But … why should it bother me as long as my games work?

Any of you guys still content with the 900 series and earlier? How much longer do you think you’ll stick it out?

(And I shouldn’t even be entertaining this idea … I just bought a Korg Pa700 keyboard that I have to pay off.)

Conversation 13 comments

• illuminated

29 August, 2018 - 9:14 pm

<p>Relax and wait a little 😉 </p><p>Once upon a time I bought the awesome and expensive graphics card for the new game. Took out the old card, put in the new one, started the game and the game …. just …. crawled. Card driver had a bug that was causing major performance issues. Had to wait couple of weeks for the patch. Was not happy at all. </p><p><br></p><p>So now I usually wait before buying. There are enough people willing to test the new stuff. I just do not enjoy finding bugs anymore.</p>

• SWCetacean

Premium Member
    29 August, 2018 - 9:35 pm

<p>For the 2080, does being among the first to experience the ray-tracing tech matter to you? Like yes, the RTX 2080 will likely be a little faster than the GTX 1080 Ti, but at a higher cost (probably $800+ given Founders Edition markup or simple lack of availability around launch) while you can get a 1080 Ti for less than $750. But without the 2080, you won't be able to experience the ray-tracing effects. Plus it matters what frame rate you wish to have. Are you gaming at 1440p, 60 fps, or 1440p, 144 fps? All of those ray-tracing techniques enabled probably won't allow games to run at 144 fps. But at 60 it is more feasible to enable the ray-tracing to get better graphics.</p><p><br></p><p>If you want to experience ray-tracing sooner rather than later, the RTX series is your only choice at the moment. If you aren't really interested in the ray tracing, then unless you want the absolute highest performance, you don't need the RTX series.</p><p><br></p><p>I caved a few months ago and bought a 1080 Ti to replace my 980 (that I bought at launch in 2014). The move from 1080p to 1440p required that I drop a bunch of settings in The Division (my main game) as well as drop the frame rate a bit. With the mining craze nearing its end, I decided to upgrade. I gave my 980 to my fiancé and I get to enjoy maxed-out graphics in The Division (and basically every other game) at &gt;60 fps at 1440p.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    29 August, 2018 - 10:03 pm

<p>Wait until the second series shows up. They often come out with updated models later, then you get the first ones when they’re not as high.</p><p><br></p><p>Or just do like me and stay like 5 generations behind so even buying a $40 used card is magical!</p>

• Martin Pelletier

Premium Member
    29 August, 2018 - 10:45 pm

<p>Wait for the full reviews from web sites. And we have to wait for more supports from games that support Ray-Tracing. And this card is more expensive. </p><p><br></p><p>Pretty sure that 2080 gonna kick ass but for me, the price is turning me off.</p>

• FalseAgent

29 August, 2018 - 11:08 pm

<p>The 970 is still a mighty capable card, unless you're moving to higher resolution/higher refresh rate gaming, there's no need to upgrade.</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    30 August, 2018 - 3:23 am

<p>Benchmarks lift on 14th September, make your decision then. In my opinion, the 2080 isn't a bad value compared to the 1080 based on leaked benchmarks.</p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    30 August, 2018 - 8:13 am

<p>Wait.for.the.benchmarks.</p>

• klients

30 August, 2018 - 2:38 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#310902">In reply to brad-sams:</a></em></blockquote><p>Considering that he currently has a 970, I don't see what the benchmarks will say that we don't already know: Of course the RTX cards will be much faster than the 970.</p><p><br></p><p>The more relevant point is that he already said that he can keep gaming just fine on his 970. So the real question is how much disposable income he has that he can allocate to a fun (but optional) purchase.</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
    30 August, 2018 - 11:06 am

<p>Yeah, I honestly think I'm not going to make any major moves with my system (i5 4690K, GTX 970) until I really start experiencing performance issues with what I'm trying to run.</p><p><br></p><p>And that's just not a problem right now.</p><p><br></p><p>Some day graphics will advance to the point where I'm going to feel an itch, and ray tracing will become important, but I'm not feeling it yet.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm being oddly rational about my PC at this point.</p><p><br></p><p>I am, of course, going to be curious about what the benchmarks say regarding the new cards vs. the 10xx series and the 9xx series, but I doubt it's going to be a catalyst for me making any changes at the moment.</p>

• curtisspendlove

30 August, 2018 - 9:05 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#310946">In reply to ErichK:</a></em></blockquote><p>It is definitely an enthusiast card at the moment. It will take the market a while to release games which fully take advantage of the new cards. It isn’t worth the cost to performa—oh screw it. I want one too!</p><p><br></p><p>:)</p>

• StevenLayton

30 August, 2018 - 1:02 pm

<p>Talk you out of buying it? Okay. If you buy the card, the cute bunny gets it!</p><p>(Did that work?)</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
      30 August, 2018 - 1:14 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#310980">In reply to StevenLayton:</a></em></blockquote><p>lol, you wouldn't dare…</p>

• tahj

09 September, 2018 - 12:52 pm

<p>if you do not have performance problems then you do not need to change, the 970 is still a powerful card.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>________________________________________________________________________________</p><p><a href="https://commbank.pro/&quot; target="_blank">CommBank</a>&nbsp;<a href="https://geico.onl/&quot; target="_blank">GEICO</a>&nbsp;<a href="https://chase.onl/&quot; target="_blank">Chase Online</a></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC