Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 “Elsie” is now available

From the Linux Mint Blog:

LMDE is a Linux Mint project which stands for “Linux Mint Debian Edition”. Its goal is to ensure Linux Mint would be able to continue to deliver the same user experience, and how much work would be involved, if Ubuntu was ever to disappear. LMDE is also one of our development targets, to guarantee the software we develop is compatible outside of Ubuntu.

LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead.

Conversation 4 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    21 March, 2022 - 9:06 am

<p>I tried it a couple of years ago. It was a little rough around the edges, but a good alternative, for those who don’t like the way Ubuntu do things.</p>

• harrymyhre

Premium Member
    21 March, 2022 - 10:00 pm

<p>Want to try Ubuntu matte </p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
    22 March, 2022 - 12:22 am

<p>I like the concept. Allows you to continue in the Debian way without being forced to accept Ubuntu’s optimizations / Design choices. IE no snap. You can run flatpak instead or just stay with APT package manager if your ok with the software not being the latest release from the developer. I think more of the Ubuntu derivatives should consider this. </p>

• justme

Premium Member
      22 March, 2022 - 4:15 am

<p>I tend to agree. Some in the Linux community dont care for the direction Canonical are taking Ubuntu. As you say – you can stay with APT, run flatpak, and not be bothered. Also means you’re safe if, for some reason, Ubuntu goes away. I think the hardest thing to get used to would be that you have to deal with a distro that is less refined.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC