Zorin OS 16.1 is now available

This is from the Zorin Blog. I’m currently testing this release on hardware (not in a VM).

Zorin OS 16.1 is our most advanced operating system ever. It’s packed with improvements to help you work better, updates to apps and system-level software, and support for new hardware.

What’s new in Zorin OS 16.1

LibreOffice updated to help you work better

LibreOffice is one of the most important apps included in Zorin OS, and with this new release, it’s getting even better. We’ve included LibreOffice 7.3, the latest version of the award-winning office suite. This version will allow you to work quicker and more effectively with new enhancements.

Newer apps

In addition to LibreOffice, you’ll notice that many of the pre-installed apps have been updated when using Zorin OS 16.1. Not only does this provide a more feature-rich experience out of the box, but fewer software updates will need to be downloaded after installing Zorin OS onto your computer.

Stronger security and better hardware compatibility

Many built-in system technologies have seen improvements for better security, compatibility, and performance. Zorin OS 16.1 introduces new security patches out of the box, so you can have peace of mind knowing that you’re using the most secure version of Zorin OS ever.

The Zorin OS 16 release series will continue to be supported with software updates and security patches until April 2025.

Conversation 8 comments

• nsemrau

21 March, 2022 - 9:26 am

<p>Paul, maybe try this one on the not-so-great functioning hardware you were talking about in the "What now" article.</p><p><br></p><p>I say this because "Many built-in system technologies have seen improvements for better security, compatibility, and performance." is just marketing speech for "We imported the newer hardware-enablement stack/kernel from our Ubuntu upstream". These stack upgrades brought some recentish systems of mine from "Works okay, but …" to "Everything sings" in regards to hardware compatability, due to drivers for newer hardware now being included.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      21 March, 2022 - 1:33 pm

I suspect it’s related that audio did not work with both Chrome OS Flex and Linux on one particular machine. I would like to figure that out.

• erichk

Premium Member
    21 March, 2022 - 11:40 am

<p>I like Zorin. I have it installed on one of my "get to know Linux" systems, a refurbished HP with a Core i5. Nice OS.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    22 March, 2022 - 3:53 am

<p>I find Zorin OS to be incredibly friendly to Windows-users. Its a very easy desktop to get used to.</p><p><br></p><p>For the audio issue, you might try updating the kernel. Base Zorin 16.1 uses 5.13, so updating to 5.17 may get you newer drivers. There is a GUI that lets you do that called Mainline. Here’s how to get it:</p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">&nbsp;</span><strong style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cappelikan/ppa</strong></p><p><span style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">&nbsp;</span><strong style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">sudo apt update</strong></p><p><span style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">&nbsp;</span><strong style="color: rgb(132, 133, 133);">sudo apt install mainline</strong></p><p><br></p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
      22 March, 2022 - 2:08 pm

<p>And this is why Linux is not viable for family members and mere mortals.</p>

• nsemrau

22 March, 2022 - 6:48 pm

<p>Nobody forces mere mortals to integrate PPAs via command-line into their installs to get new kernels. You tell them to just click "Yes" on the dialog window where it asks them to upgrade the OS for a change, instead of giving into their practised Windows reflexes to cancel the dialog ASAP because they fear their computer might break. But nice try at FUD with an extra helping of dead horse.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
        23 March, 2022 - 8:12 am

<p>Most family members and mere mortals arent going to troubleshoot an audio issue like Paul will. They are going to talk to their Designated Family IT person to take care of it, or take it to someone – which is the same approach they would use if they were dealing with a similar WIndows issue. If Paul were a mere mortal, I probably would not have suggested what I did, since it is completely optional. I just happen to have enough faith in his IT superhero superpowers to know that he can handle it. </p>

• harrymyhre

Premium Member
      06 April, 2022 - 2:23 am

<p>These commands expose one of the biggest problems with the internet. Not criticizing the author. </p><p><br></p><p>This kind of info is all over the web. Tips to help people solve problems. Only problem is, RARELY are the commands labeled so that the user knows they will be compatible with their system. </p><p><br></p><p>No standard has ever been set. Also – i don’t know Linux. Is there a way a user can "try out" those kind of commands before running them? Like run them in audit mode?</p><p><br></p><p>Also one typo in one of those commands can fry your whole system. Murphy is always looking over your shoulder. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC