Call of Duty on Windows 10

With all the recent Call of Duty WWII hoopla. I decided to play, one of my favorite computer games of all time, Call of Duty 1.

Back in 2003, Call of Duty 1 came out. It was a revolution in World War 2 shooter games. It mixed an excellent story and game play together. It taught players about all various the weapons used in the war, and so much more.

In the mid 2000s, I had a fairly good Windows XP PC. It had Athlon XP 3200 processor, 512MB RAM, and a Radeon 9250. It played Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 1 and United Offense very well.

A day ago, I decided to go through the (long process) of install Call of Duty 1 on Windows 10.

1. I had to install Call of Duty, and change CDs, which is pretty old school. First I had to insert the product key of course! Installing the game took several minutes.
  2. After installing, COD refused to launch, because of Secure CD. I tried compatibility mode, but still didn’t work.
  3. Upon some research, I found I needed to download a patched “No CD” exe and replace the original. This worked perfectly, and the game launched.
  4. Then, I went into the COD folder, and opened up the config file, and changed the resolution to 1920×1080.

After all these steps. Call of Duty 1 ran perfectly, and I could relive the good old days. The game looks actually very good for 14 years old. Overall, Call of Duty plays well in Windows 10, despite needing to modify/adjust some things.

Here’s some Screenshots I took playing.

Conversation 5 comments

• arunphilip

28 November, 2017 - 12:24 am

<p>Nice blast from the past. :-)</p><p><br></p><p>Although I had purchased COD1, COD2 and COD4:MW on disc, I repurchased them on Steam when they went on discount. The main reason was to avoid disc roulette. </p><p><br></p><p>I play the single-player campaign, so COD2 and COD4:MW both hold a lot of replayability for me. The only thing that prevents me from replaying and enjoying COD1 is when I have to break the flow of the gameplay to search for health packs. </p><p><br></p><p>Good to know that your discs are still holding up after these years. If you do wish to go the Steam route, check out the "Call of Duty Warchest" collection – it is a convenient way of getting COD1, the United Offensive expansion, and COD2 in a single pack. Its currently discounted due to the Thanksgiving weekend, and I expect it to go back on discount for Christmas. </p>

• polloloco51

28 November, 2017 - 10:36 am

<blockquote><a href="#221757"><em>In reply to arunphilip:</em></a></blockquote><blockquote> I am very tempted to the Call of Duty Warchest on Steam, but I think I could work with the CDs, or convert them to mountable ISO's. I actually don't mind searching for health packs in Call of Duty 1, as it makes it realistic. In an actual war, you have to look for aid. It was really nice, playing Call of Duty again. I remember, every single scene and level in Call of Duty, to a pin. I love the parts, where you're driving, and have to shoot the Germans out the car window. The graphics in COD 1 are really not too bad, but they are showing their age now.</blockquote>

• arunphilip

28 November, 2017 - 11:05 am

<blockquote><a href="#222012"><em>In reply to polloloco51:</em></a></blockquote><p>Quite true – the storytelling is so good in COD1 and COD2 that you kind of fail to notice the now-ageing graphics. Unlike the newer CODs where the rubbish story/gameplay needs to be propped up by flashy stuff. <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">And I totally remember that scene you're referring to, what with the running commentary provided by the motormouth squadmate. </span></p><p><br></p><p>If ISOs work for you, do go down that route. Before I got them on Steam, I used such ISOs to play Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    28 November, 2017 - 11:32 am

<p>If your current card's driver supports tessellation, you might be able to smooth out those rough models in places.</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
    28 November, 2017 - 1:35 pm

<p>Nice. I own the original CoD on DVD as well.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC