Firefox 66 – how to block all autoplay videos

It has been possible for more than a year to block all autoplaying videos in firefox, with and without sound, via a single setting using the about:config URL but with recent versions of firefox, other settings have been introduced. With the release of firefox 66, the new settings to change are:

media.autoplay.default = 1 (i.e. block for all sites by default)

media.autoplay.allow-muted = false (i.e. block video without sound as well)

They seem determined not to offer the ‘block everything’ option in the UI.

Conversation 5 comments

• baskinrobbin

21 March, 2019 - 6:45 pm

<p>Thanks for this, just changed my settings</p>

• anderb

Premium Member
    21 March, 2019 - 7:07 pm

<p>I am unable to successfully edit my original post. After a bit more testing, the complete settings required are:</p><p><br></p><p>media.autoplay.default = 1 (i.e. block for all sites by default)</p><p>media.autoplay.allow-muted = false (i.e. block video without sound as well)</p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">media.autoplay.enabled = false</span></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">media.autoplay.enabled.user-gestures-needed = false</span></p><p><br></p>

• infloop

Premium Member
    22 March, 2019 - 5:31 pm

<p>Nice.</p><p><br></p><p>Just one thing: I don't have the media.autoplay.enabled setting available to me when I do a search for "media.autoplay," but the other three I have set. Made the changes on Windows, macOS and Ubuntu 18.04.</p><p><br></p><p>Also, FF is now at 66.0.1 with some security fixes.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    23 March, 2019 - 3:44 am

<p>I love that Mozilla is pouring so much effort into Firefox still. </p>

• MikeCerm

24 March, 2019 - 12:29 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#414883">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>Firefox is is basically the only thing that Mozilla does, so what else would they pour their effort into?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC