RIP Gran Turismo Series 1997-2017

For the longest time, I have been an enormous Gran Turismo fan. I played every game they released, and spent hours and hours playing each game over the years!

Gran Turismo was the king of racing simulation games back then. They had the best physics, a massive amount of cars, tons of tracks, and also great music. They even had Snoop Dogg create a custom track in Gran Turismo 3!

Gran Turismo 1 Above

Now, with the release of Gran Turismo Sport. All that was great about Gran Turismo is gone. There is no offline simulation mode or any offline mode at all, there is no wide selection of cars. None of the original tracks are in the game from the beginning days, like High Speed Ring, Deep Forest, Grand Valley. There is not even Autumn Ring, which was a beautiful track with fall foliage.

Above: Autumn Ring in Gran Turismo 6

Gran Turismo Sport is not a Gran Turismo game, at least the one I remember. Yes, Polyphony Digital pointed the game in a new direction. In doing so, they got rid of a tried and true formula. The formula, where you buy a crappy slow car (Toyota Yaris), win races, earn money, buy faster cars, and advance in the game. This is what made the series fun and addictive.

The only thing that Gran Turismo Sport has going for it, is the ultra realistic driving experience and the FIA association. Also, the improved life like graphics, that could easily con anyone to thinking it was a real life race. That is really about it.

Above: Gran Turismo Sport

For the first time ever, I am not buying Gran Turismo. I might never buy it again. I feel very sad about this. Gran Turismo was apart of my blood. It taught me everything about cars and the different models.

Gran Turismo additionally, made me a better driver in real life, especially braking more effectively.

Maybe, down the road, if Gran Turismo Sport gains an offline career mode, a significantly wider selection of cars, the original tracks. I might reconsider the series again.

For now, I say Rest in Peace Gran Turismo Series (1997-2017).

Conversation 6 comments

• Tim

Premium Member
    19 October, 2017 - 11:41 am

<p>Great post!</p><p><br></p><p>I have some very fond nostalgic memories smashing through GT. </p><p><br></p><p><a href="iracing.com" target="_blank">iracing.com</a> … will change your life 🙂 </p>

• rameshthanikodi

19 October, 2017 - 12:02 pm

<p>Gran Turismo died for me with GT5. Years and years of hype and delays, and the end result was pure disappointment. Anyway, there is a great choice of other racing games now, and most of them are better than Gran Turismo – Driveclub, Project CARS 2, Forza Motorsport 7, and The Crew 2.</p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    19 October, 2017 - 2:58 pm

<p>I played tons of GT about 10 years ago….funny how this title isnt much of a thing anymore.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    09 November, 2017 - 6:00 am

<p>I used to play GT3 on my Playstation 2, until it broke. It was a fun game and the career mode was great.</p><p>I don't have much time to play these days, so anything that is online only is out. I want something I can grab, play for a few minutes and progress a bit.</p><p>Heck, with GT3, once I had opened up all the cars and tracks, I used to just have fun in "test drive" mode, drifting around corners, and going back and drifting again, until I got the combination right, then move on to the next corner combination and so on. No rules, no times, just fun.</p>

• Luis Sohal

22 November, 2017 - 6:34 am

<p>For #HotmailpasswordResetOrRecovery Call on &amp;&amp;**866).(877).(9859)__++</p><p>#Outlook Support Number</p><p>#Micrsosoft Support Number</p><p>#Outlook Password&nbsp;</p><p>#OutlookSupport&nbsp;</p><p>#HotmailPasswordRecovery</p><p>#OutlookandMicrosoft Support Phone Number</p><p>Call ***866).(877).(9859&gt;&gt;&gt;</p><p><br></p>

• Tech_Support

23 November, 2017 - 12:43 am

<p>For #HotmailpasswordResetOrRecovery Call on &amp;&amp;**866).(877).(9859)__++</p><p>#Outlook Support Number</p><p>#Micrsosoft Support Number</p><p>#Outlook Password&nbsp;</p><p>#OutlookSupport&nbsp;</p><p>#HotmailPasswordRecovery</p><p>#OutlookandMicrosoft Support Phone Number</p><p>Call ***866).(877).(9859&gt;&gt;&gt;</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC