Site issues

Hey,

We’re experiencing some site issues today. Referenced this in First Ring Daily here:

First Ring Daily 658: Inodes of Joy

We can’t upload images for articles. And we can’t comment on articles or forum posts.

We’re working on it.

Thanks,

Paul

Conversation 9 comments

• skane2600

12 August, 2019 - 1:00 pm

<p>Thanks for the info, Paul.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      12 August, 2019 - 2:30 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#448852">In reply to skane2600:</a></em></blockquote><p>Sorry. It's going to be a rough day, it looks like.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      13 August, 2019 - 2:44 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#448852">In reply to skane2600:</a></em></blockquote><p>That's the problem with the site being small and run only out of the USA. I had been trying to comment on articles for over 12 hours, before Paul got the message out. (That isn't supposed to be a criticism, just a fact that can't really be addressed with the company's current size.)</p><p><br></p><p>@Paul do you guys not have something like Nagios or Icinga2 to warn you when such limits are approaching or other problems occur?</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
        13 August, 2019 - 6:35 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#448994">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>For one thing, we didn't sit on it for over 12 hours. I had been using the commenting system within an hour of me writing about it. I check comments regularly, and when someone else noted it, and I checked, saw it, and flagged it.</p><p><br></p><p>But I don't handle the backend of the site. I'm not sure what systems they use, sorry. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          13 August, 2019 - 7:08 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449006">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to imply you sat on it; it was just that because of the time zone differences I had about 12 hours of no access to comments – they wouldn't load, just a rotating circle. </p><p>I guessed it was a problem with the back-end and I guessed at about 05:00 (23:00 your time) that I would probably have to wait until early evening here, before you guys were up and could address the problem.</p><p>I'm not expecting you or Tim to be on 24 hour call out. You guys deserve your free time just as much as the rest of us.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
            13 August, 2019 - 10:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449012">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>No worries … I wonder if it was a different experience in different parts of the world. </p><p><br></p><p>With regards to follow-up time, this one did happen slowly but not because no one was on it. It was just a hard thing to figure out, and then it took a while to completely fix. The pictures in my ThinkBook review, for example, were hosted externally because I couldn't upload anything. It was a tough day.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
              13 August, 2019 - 10:29 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449047">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yeah, no problems. We all have those every now and then. ;-)</p>

• robinwilson16

12 August, 2019 - 7:30 pm

<p>The site has had issues for some time for me. I can never post links or images in comments and on mobile the site is hardly usable as can't even scroll down now (on iPhone) as it just wants to return to the top of the homepage.</p><p>I must use weird multi-fingered gestures to hang on as when I move my finger it whizzes to the top – the further down I scroll the harder it gets sort of like a game of whit to make us work to uncover the latest beta news.</p><p>The Petri section never wraps correctly either on the right and expands off the screen to the right.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      13 August, 2019 - 6:36 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#448968">In reply to robinwilson16:</a></em></blockquote><p>This is all unrelated to what happened yesterday. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC