I like Windows 11

Wondering how much support there is for this view: I’m really liking Windows 11 so far.

I’m just a general tech & gaming fan, and not an IT Pro or a developer. I’ve had it installed since the general availability and have just used my PC with office as any regular person would and gone about doing my thing. I’ve been into the settings to tweak a few things and personalise, and I’ve been into the store to trigger a check for app updates. Im yet to bump into any legacy UIs or anything that doesn’t belong in the new look and feel, and I’m really enjoying the new visuals, the polish up and even the wallpaper and sounds. I know I’m not asking much of it but most people don’t, and the experience has largely been as classy as the mobile OS platforms. I’m pleasantly surprised…

Conversation 40 comments

• ghostrider

31 October, 2021 - 11:12 am

<p>Windows 11 is 90% Windows 10, with the other 10% being the refreshed UI, which was originally going to be in Win10 anyway until Microsoft’s marketing team stepped in and saw an opportunity to kick-start interest in Windows again. In most respects, 11 is very ‘meh’.</p>

• shameer_mulji

Premium Member
      31 October, 2021 - 8:27 pm

<p><br></p><p>The problem is that at least 40% of PC’s, if not more, currently running Win10 won’t be able to upgrade to Win11 because of the new hardware requirements.</p>

• waethorn

01 November, 2021 - 11:48 am

<p>They can’t upgrade using standard channels, but they can easily run it nonetheless. You only have to bypass the checks in Windows Setup using the registry changes for either in-place upgrades, or for clean installs. I’ve tested Windows 11 on systems as far back as Gen-1 Core i5 laptops without Secure Boot, and it works fine. Better, in some cases, than Windows 10, since 20H2 and 21H1 are unstable on said systems. Microsoft hasn’t ripped out support for the older processors or non-TPM equipped systems in the installation image whatsoever. The processor "requirements" are merely there for OEM’s building new PC’s. I haven’t tried it on a legacy-BIOS/MBR-boot system yet. This is on my To-do list.</p>

• wunderbar

Premium Member
          01 November, 2021 - 2:12 pm

<p>And what this the percentage of people who run Windows 10 that will actually do that? 0.01%? 0.0001%?</p><p><br></p><p>Most people won’t see Windows 11 until they buy a new computer.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
            02 November, 2021 - 5:13 pm

<p><strong><em>Most people</em></strong> won’t realize they’re using Windows 11 because most people only really care about running application software and don’t pay much if any attention to the Windows version they’re using. Makes me wonder why MSFT spends money on TV ads for Windows. Those ads almost certainly do <strong><em>NOTHING</em></strong> to change Windows usage. Maybe the ads are just senior management ego stroking like Archer Daniels Midland ads on Sunday morning news yack shows.</p>

• mikegalos

03 November, 2021 - 1:34 am

<p>ADM ads on the Sunday Mornings aren’t for executive ego stroking. They’re for making sure that stories that make them look bad don’t get aired.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
                03 November, 2021 - 8:29 am

<p>Usually I’m cynical. I must be slipping.</p>

• bkkcanuck

02 November, 2021 - 12:09 am

<p>That problem will resolve itself over the years as older computers are retired.</p>

• bkkcanuck

03 November, 2021 - 6:47 am

<p>Correct…. Windows 10 and Windows 11 are 90% the same…. (9 characters the same, 1 different)</p>

• sentinel6671

Premium Member
    31 October, 2021 - 11:14 am

<p>I’ve moved to it on the majority of my computers. I like it a lot too. I really enjoy the feeling of consistency. Windows 10 was always such a mish-mash of styles.</p><p><br></p><p>I suspect you and I are in the minority and are about to be soundly trashed. 🙂 </p><p><br></p><p>I could care less about the task bar customization and the other things that some on these forums scream about.</p>

• navarac

31 October, 2021 - 1:10 pm

<p>Consider your self trashed 🙂 LOL. I personally totally dislike the UI that is W11 but "whatever" suits people. We have a choice, thank goodness.</p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
        01 November, 2021 - 1:48 pm

<p>Just curious, what OS do you think has a better PC OS interface than Windows 11?</p>

• navarac

01 November, 2021 - 2:27 pm

<p>Windows 10 is just fine if MSFT got the consistency of menus sorted. They haven’t in W11, there are still XP/7 menus galore. It is all so piecemeal. W11 seems (to me) to be an emasculated W10 that has been released about 12 months too soon.</p><p><br></p><p>Most Linux distros are fine but I tend to favour Debian or MX Linux.</p><p><br></p><p>In the end, the OS needs to "get out of the way" and allow me to control the machine to use the apps/programs.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
            01 November, 2021 - 5:53 pm

<p>As Paul as said many times, Microsoft sucks at getting the little consistency finishes done correctly. If they can get this done properly for Windows 11, a lot of people will be happy. But I have my doubts about if they will get it done.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
          02 November, 2021 - 5:25 pm

<p>Given the trajectory to which MSFT has altered the Windows desktop UI, one would have to say Chrome OS is the medium term destimation, and as such the current Chrome OS UI is more polished than that in Windows 11.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
      31 October, 2021 - 5:14 pm

<p>I personally love Windows 11. I don’t even have to justify that.</p><p><br></p>

• navarac

01 November, 2021 - 8:27 am

<p>I don’t have to justify my view either. I’m fed up with you picking on my posts – try hringv instead. he/she has similar views. F-ing troll.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
          02 November, 2021 - 5:14 pm

<p>Thanks ever so much for looping me in on this. I owe you.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        02 November, 2021 - 5:16 pm

<p>Justifying the subjective to others is a fool’s errand.</p><p><br></p><p>You like it. Great. Others don’t. Fine. All are right. Magic.</p>

• flekmatik

31 October, 2021 - 11:23 am

<p>it actually reminds me of original xbox 360, best ui ms made (imo)</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    31 October, 2021 - 12:49 pm

<p>I’ve been using it for a week now, and I’m with you about 95%.</p><p><br></p><p>I think it would be nice once some of the less elegant aspects are addressed, such as how we switch from the new-style context menu to the old-style with the "Show more options" command. It’s just a bit clunky, but as we all know, most "normals" are not going to care that much.</p><p><br></p><p>It’s been perfectly stable for me, and I like the refreshed visuals.</p><p><br></p><p>I do *somewhat* mourn the reduced Start menu customization options … but in a way, I kind of like it, because I no longer have to bend to my OCD’s will of reorganizing everything over and over and over. In other words, if there’s an app I use a lot, I pin it, and then I’m done. No fuss, no muss. But I’ll be the first to admit — if they add customization options back in again in next year’s update or something like that, I might welcome it.</p><p><br></p>

• bkkcanuck

02 November, 2021 - 12:23 am

<p>My DIY machine can run Windows 11, but I won’t be installing it in the near future since I use the DIY machine through a VPN and I can not risk any incompatibility for the current contract – no matter how low the risk. I would like to install it, but just at this point… no. That said, I think trying to sort out the UI consistency and security is a step in the right direction. If it is not all there yet (i.e. a deficiency cannot be accepted), or it has outstanding issues which is important to be resolved… people can wait… Windows 10 is going to be supported for at least 4 years (I am guessing that will actually be extended).</p>

• j5

Premium Member
    31 October, 2021 - 12:55 pm

<p>Mac OS is my daily driver. But once Windows 11 officially comes out I’ll see if I can install it on my Asus laptop. I work on Windows 10 but corporations are slow to move to upgrading OS’s…as they should be. So this will be the first version of Windows that I haven’t upgraded early to or will even try out for a while…..almost feels like I’m cheating haha!</p>

• ianbetteridge

05 November, 2021 - 5:58 am

<p>I’ve been a "mostly Mac" user for quite a while, despite having a gaming laptop and a Surface, but Windows 11 has really made me into a "mostly PC" person. My M1 Mac mini, which had been my daily work from home driver, is now even more silent and the ThinkPad X1 Carbon that I recently bought at a steep discount has become the machine that I use most. </p><p><br></p><p>That’s entirely thanks to Windows 11, which I think is a much better experience overall than macOS Monterey, even when you’re an iPad and iPhone user as I am. It’s just nice to use.</p>

• jollytiki

Premium Member
    31 October, 2021 - 3:01 pm

<p><br></p>

• jollytiki

Premium Member
    31 October, 2021 - 3:06 pm

<p>I am using Windows 11 on my Mac M1. What is the best way to activate Windows 11 (or windows in general) if using it in a VM? I am worried that if I activate it the normal way or use one of my existing Windows Licenses that I will run into some sort of headache if I have to reinstall the VM at a later date and Microsoft makes me call in or do something bizarre to reactivate my Windows License…</p>

• waethorn

31 October, 2021 - 3:59 pm

<p>If you activate it on a specific hypervisor (VM software), it will continue to activate properly on the same hypervisor with future installs. Are you using Parallels Desktop?d</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      01 November, 2021 - 6:22 am

<p>If you are using it in a VM on an M1, you can’t activate it. The license is OEM only and can only be activated on a Snapdragon based Windows device.</p><p><br></p><p>You will be stuck on the developer channel release of the ARM version on the M1 Mac.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    01 November, 2021 - 2:11 am

<p>Overall but mostly behind the scenes, Windows 11 is almost certainly an improvement over Windows 10. If you like the new eye wash, fine, but that’s subjective. OTOH, the Windows 11 taskbar is SEVERAL STEPS <strong><em>BACKWARDS</em></strong> in terms of functionality from Windows 10. Anyone who used any of the features not provided by Windows 11 (at the moment; hopefully changes) is unlikely to find Windows 11 an improvement over Windows 10 in terms of usability. That said, there are 3rd party desktop UI component alternatives which make Windows 11 almost as functional as Windows 10.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    01 November, 2021 - 6:26 am

<p>I’ll let you know in 4 – 5 years time, when I come to replace my current PC, which isn’t capable of running Windows 11…</p><p><br></p><p>Currently, none of my hardware is capable of running it. I have Raspian on my Pi 3Bs and my Pi400 and I have recently put openSUSE on my main (formerly Windows 10) desktop and my 2010 Sony Vaio runs Mint. Only my 2016 HP Spectre still has WIndows 10 on it, but it also isn’t compatible with Windows 11.</p><p><br></p><p>I’m seriously looking at an M1 Mac mini at the moment.</p>

• garythornberry

Premium Member
    01 November, 2021 - 11:31 am

<p>I also vote for Windows 11. It seems like Microsoft watched how users used Windows 10 and made improvements. For example, updating the time settings is easier, as it then going to Windows Update. I did buy Start 11 but uninstalled it once I learned you could left justify the Task Bar. I’m now also using the dark theme.</p><p><br></p><p>I vote for Windows 11!</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      02 November, 2021 - 5:22 pm

<p>Kindly explain how the Windows 11 taskbar is an <em>improvement</em> on Windows 10’s.</p><p><br></p><p>Me, I have nothing against the rest of Windows 11, especially after finding the registry tweak which nixes the new File Explorer context menu and displays the traditional one. However, the Windows 11 taskbar is <strong><em>really awful</em></strong> compared to what Windows has provided from Windows 98 through Windows 10.</p><p><br></p><p>Nothing else screams that MSFT rushed Windows 11 to market more loudly than the refactored taskbar. Well, we should have remembered a lesson MSFT has taught time after time after time: <strong><em>NEVER</em></strong> use x.0 versions of any MSFT software; <strong><em>ALWAYS</em></strong> wait for x.1 or SP1 (at least).</p>

• simard57

02 November, 2021 - 6:53 am

<p>I am not hating it but having issues with snipping tool</p><p>"A problem with Windows is preventing Screen Snipping from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it."</p>

• moruobai

02 November, 2021 - 5:06 pm

<p>lol seriously?!</p><p><br></p><p>I have this same problem on my machine. Laughable. This the last straw for me. The next machine will have an M1 chip.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    02 November, 2021 - 10:26 am

<p>I also do like Windows 11, however, it is not in a finished state. Another 6 months and it should be a decent OS.</p>

• abrarey

02 November, 2021 - 12:55 pm

<p>So far, I don’t see any benefit on installing on my main PC. I have it installed on a non-supported HW laptop and is being running as fine as any Win10. But they will need to improve the taskbar, being able to move around and right click and the right click menu options which are absurd for the moment, in order for me to make the jump. Maybe a year or so who knows they might surprise and improve some of those stuffs earlier.</p>

• moruobai

02 November, 2021 - 5:27 pm

<p>Using Windows 11 for a couple of days, a few things jumped out:</p><p><br></p><p>1. The UI feels like an improvement. The sounds, presentation are all refreshing. But it’s also possible I’m just used to Windows 10 and this is something different. The UI feels more like a Mac.</p><p><br></p><p>2. Moving the Start Menu to the center also feels like a Mac. And it exposes how little use the left side of the taskbar is… total dead space (this might be why it was originally placed where it was starting with Win95).</p><p><br></p><p>3. I like File Explorer *a lot* more in Windows 11. It’s so simplified and compact. The icons are so easy on the eyes.</p><p><br></p><p>3. The continued failure to integrate Settings and Control Panel is simply unacceptable at this point. </p><p><br></p><p>4. There are embarrassing oversights like the snipping tool not working on a lot of machines. </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      02 November, 2021 - 5:36 pm

<p>Re (3), there may be only 2 ways to handle older peripheral hardware (including modems for those parts of the world in which dial-up networking is still common) with .CPL configuration applets: either change Settings, possibly substantially, to search through C:\Windows to find all .CPL files, and include links for them somewhere in Settings (i.e., make Settings as dynamic as Control Panel even if that raises security issues); or leave Control Panel in place.</p><p><br></p><p>I figure Control Panel’s continuing existence may be due to MSFT’s telemetry data showing an uncomfortably high % of Windows PCs using such older peripheral hardware as well as MSFT’s own indifference towards going the last mile for the sake of <em>consistency</em>. I figure MSFT designed Settings so that it can’t be made as dynamic as Control Panel, whether due to oversight or security concerns. If so, expect Control Panel to be around well into the 2030s at least unless MSFT decides to scrap Settings for something else.</p>

• yb

Premium Member
    03 November, 2021 - 7:53 am

<p>Windows 11 has been a disappointing experience for me; </p><p><br></p><p>I updated a spare machine bypassing the TMP and 8th generation Intel chip requirements; the update kept most of my default options and tweaks intact- including my own wallpaper. That is progress- the update to Win10 was not as good as that.</p><p><br></p><p>There were a few default options I had to update- a tiresome and convoluted process in comparison to Win10.</p><p> I could not move the taskbar sideways- important for me as I use 150% text size.</p><p><br></p><p>I use the same laptop for work, voluntary work, photo editing, and my own day-to-day personal use: emailing and browsing. </p><p>I am not an IT person or a programmer, just a long-time user. </p><p>I developed over the years my own file management system and storage arrangements.</p><p>Therefore, I am a heavy user of file explorer, creating updating renaming, and moving files and folders around.</p><p><br></p><p>Unfortunately, almost every routine task requires an extra ‘click’/step to do what I need to do. </p><p>The same applies to the odd occasion when I need the all-app listing on the start menu.</p><p><br></p><p>So, for me, Win11 fails in the most basic task- making it easy and flawless to use. that is "anti-progress".</p><p>Win11 is Ok for web browsing or for composing emails, but when it comes to work/productivity- at least for me-it requires more steps to accomplish the same tasks, a regressive step. </p><p><br></p><p>I know that there are tweaks available to overcome some of those faults, and maybe – though I doubt it- Microsoft would address those issues. The tweaks? none of my colleagues are computer wizards, so they would not even realise that there are ways to overcome Win11 shortcomings.</p><p>I took my Win11 loaded laptop to show to my colleagues, they attempted doing some of the work tasks on the laptop, and they were not really taken by the possibility that using Win11 means extra work time. We will not be "upgrading" to Win11 in the foreseeable future. This represents so many small to medium size offices all over the world. </p><p><br></p><p>So on the negative side- productivity impaired, inability to move the taskbar sideways, default option management let Win11 down.</p><p><br></p><p>on the positive side- Win11 did not crash, can be used for browsing and email correspondence- just like Chrome book [LOL].</p><p>the upgrade process from Win10 to 11 worked better- it kept almost all of my Win10 settings/defaults and even wallpaper choice intact.</p><p><br></p><p>indifferent: I use my own wallpaper, never took note of whether corners were rounded or not.</p><p>when I use Win11 for browsing and for email access, there is no difference between using Win10 or 11- I would not even know which system I am using had it not been for the taskbar. </p><p><br></p><p>I will keep Win11 on the spare machine, so I can use it from time to time, to see if updates and good tweaks can fix the productivity issues I mentioned. </p><p><br></p><p>Can I recommend Win11? depends on usage; for browsing and email- yes, for intensive normal office work- no. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• ianbetteridge

03 November, 2021 - 5:17 pm

<p>It’s a significant improvement over Windows 10 and I like it a lot. I keep hearing again and again that "it’s just a new coat of paint", but what everyone seems to forget is that the design, look and feel of an operating system is very important to how pleasant it is to use. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC