Oracle requiring Java to be licensed in the enterprise starting in 2019?

Installed Java and was prompted with

https://java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

And I’m curious if enterprises will now need to license Java SE in order to get updates starting in January 2019?

Is this old news? I’m thinking/hoping this is just for Java 8 and not all Java moving forward.

Comments (5)

5 responses to “Oracle requiring Java to be licensed in the enterprise starting in 2019?”

1. lvthunder

It's just Java 8. They want you to use the newer versions.

• cawfehman

In reply to lvthunder:

I guess that's good, the odd thing is that if you go to java.com to download and install it, it's still installing and recommending 8, not 9 or 10. Just thought it was odd.

• lvthunder

In reply to cawfehman:

It is very odd indeed. I don't understand it either.

• bkkcanuck

In reply to cawfehman:

As I understand it, Java 9 and Java 10 are not LTS, Java 11 and 15 are. I think version 9 and 10 would be no longer supported as I believe those are now EOL. I think more enterprises would stay with Java 8, 11, or 15... in my case the company I am currently contracted has not moved past Java 8. If you want a 'free' version then OpenJDK is the way to go... which I believe more are doing.

IMHO, Oracle will continue looking for ways to monetize Java and this is and will continue to see it's use decline over the long term (especially as it is confusing; and Oracle licensing and unintended use of database licensed features has been used as a weapon to increase licensing revenues -- so I would always be wary when it comes to surprises with Oracle)... i.e. you can end up installing licensed features that you have not licensed - it does not stop you, your developers end up using them without realizing the cost - then you get it with an Oracle audit and suddenly you are paying much more than you had planned for in your business plans.

LTS - Long Term Support

EOL - End of Life

2. matsan

Hopefully Oracle's Java will follow Flash into the sunset never to be seen again.

Several of my tools (JetBrains for example) switched to OpenJDK years ago when this licensing mess for commercial use started.

Leave a Reply