Oracle requiring Java to be licensed in the enterprise starting in 2019?

Installed Java and was prompted with

https://java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

And I’m curious if enterprises will now need to license Java SE in order to get updates starting in January 2019?

Is this old news? I’m thinking/hoping this is just for Java 8 and not all Java moving forward.

Conversation 5 comments

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    12 June, 2018 - 4:24 pm

<p>It's just Java 8. They want you to use the newer versions.</p>

• cawfehman

12 June, 2018 - 4:50 pm

<blockquote><a href="#283490"><em>In reply to lvthunder:</em></a></blockquote><p>I guess that's good, the odd thing is that if you go to java.com to download and install it, it's still installing and recommending 8, not 9 or 10. Just thought it was odd.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
        12 June, 2018 - 6:07 pm

<blockquote><a href="#283502"><em>In reply to cawfehman:</em></a></blockquote><p>It is very odd indeed. I don't understand it either.</p>

• bkkcanuck

01 March, 2021 - 10:43 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#283502">In reply to cawfehman:</a></em></blockquote><p>As I understand it, Java 9 and Java 10 are not LTS, Java 11 and 15 are. I think version 9 and 10 would be no longer supported as I believe those are now EOL. I think more enterprises would stay with Java 8, 11, or 15… in my case the company I am currently contracted has not moved past Java 8. If you want a 'free' version then OpenJDK is the way to go… which I believe more are doing. </p><p><br></p><p>IMHO, Oracle will continue looking for ways to monetize Java and this is and will continue to see it's use decline over the long term (especially as it is confusing; and Oracle licensing and unintended use of database licensed features has been used as a weapon to increase licensing revenues — so I would always be wary when it comes to surprises with Oracle)… i.e. you can end up installing licensed features that you have not licensed – it does not stop you, your developers end up using them without realizing the cost – then you get it with an Oracle audit and suddenly you are paying much more than you had planned for in your business plans. </p><p><br></p><p>LTS – Long Term Support</p><p>EOL – End of Life</p>

• matsan

02 March, 2021 - 4:06 am

<p>Hopefully Oracle's Java will follow Flash into the sunset never to be seen again.</p><p>Several of my tools (JetBrains for example) switched to OpenJDK years ago when this licensing mess for commercial use started. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC