Tutorial – Make Windows 10 look like Windows 7!

Windows 7 was arguably one of the best Windows, Microsoft made. When it came out in 2009, it was fresh, fast and overall perfect. It ran on less memory, it was faster than Vista (especially booting), and introduced a lot of new features. Now Windows 10, is like the new Windows 7, its fast, sleek and modern.

If you miss the days of Windows 7, and want the look of it for nostalgia reasons. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make Windows 10, look like Windows 7.

1. The background. You can get the Windows 7 background, very easily, just by Googling it. Just download it, and set as the desktop wallpaper! Just make sure the location of the wallpaper is reputable first. 
  2. The logon screen. You can get the login screen of Windows 7 also, by simply Googling or binging it! First download it, then right click and set at lock screen image. 
  3. Last but not least, colors! You can change the colors in Windows 10 to look like Windows 7, by going to settings > personalization > colors. Then, select automatically choose color based on wallpaper, and also show color on the titlebars, and start. 

Presto!

Your computer now looks just like Windows 7! Enjoy ðŸ˜€

Conversation 12 comments

• SherlockHolmes

Premium Member
    15 October, 2017 - 1:12 am

<p>Actually, it doesnt! Changing a OS´s wallpaper and colors doesnt make it look like another OS from the past. I really would love to have the look and feel from Windows 7 back because I havent used one of the new features the put in Windows 10 since it launched. </p>

• polloloco51

15 October, 2017 - 10:57 am

<blockquote><a href="#207395"><em>In reply to SherlockHolmes:</em></a></blockquote><p>If you removed all the modern apps in Windows 10, and disregarded the modern settings. Windows 10 would be basically Windows 7, just more modern and considerably lighter in resources. Windows 7 was a great operating system in 2009 and still is, if maintained. </p><p><br></p><p>Windows 10 is much snappier, faster to boot and everything else. I would never go back now! 🙂 </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        16 October, 2017 - 1:38 pm

<p><a href="#207470"><em>In reply to polloloco51:</em></a></p><p>If you want light resource use, run Windows 8.1. I have comparable Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 VMs each with an extra account running no extra services or processes. With only Task Manager running foreground, when CPU usage gets down to 2%, Windows 10 RAM usage is 1.1GB while Windows 8.1 RAM usage is 800MB.</p><p>Windows 10 may be lighter on system resource use than Windows 7, but Windows 10 is a pig compared to Windows 8.1.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    15 October, 2017 - 1:56 am

<p>Windows 7 ran in less memory than what? Vista using all the Aero Glass it could?</p><p>For those of us who skipped Vista, Windows 7 required a huge increase in system resources compared to XP.</p>

• polloloco51

15 October, 2017 - 10:28 am

<blockquote><a href="#207398"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>Windows 7 ran on less resources, on computers that were running Windows Vista at the time. If you had Windows XP, on a computer that was designed for Vista, it probably could run it fine. Of course, Windows 7 used more resources than XP, as it was a more modern operating system. If you had an XP era computer, and tried running Windows 7, like with a Pentium 4. That was a whole different story. A Core 2 Duo with 2 or 4GB of RAM, was sufficient in running Windows 7. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        16 October, 2017 - 12:36 pm

<blockquote><a href="#207466"><em>In reply to polloloco51:</em></a></blockquote><p>Later P4s were just fine for 7 and 8. :)</p>

• polloloco51

16 October, 2017 - 9:53 pm

<blockquote><a href="#207687"><em>In reply to jimchamplin:</em></a></blockquote><p>I agree! The Pentium 4s with Hyperthreading, were the best one! Now, anything with a single core, is just torture to computer with! Not to mention, not even supported likely, especially old Athlons. </p>

• Jules Wombat

15 October, 2017 - 6:25 am

<p>ummm well no it doesn't </p>

• polloloco51

15 October, 2017 - 10:24 am

<blockquote><a href="#207417"><em>In reply to Jules_Wombat:</em></a></blockquote><p>I said, "Make Windows 10 look like Windows 7". I didn't say, transform Windows 10 into 7. That would involve applying a system theme patcher, and installing a 3rd Party theme, which could mess up a computer. Applying the Windows 7 background, login screen, and having the colors, is the closet you can get. 🙂 </p>

• Jules Wombat

15 October, 2017 - 2:14 pm

<blockquote><a href="#207465"><em>In reply to polloloco51:</em></a></blockquote><p>Nope the Simple answer is simply to Install Classic Shell</p>

• Piras

15 October, 2017 - 2:01 pm

<p>Looks great, thanks man.</p>

• moruobai

17 October, 2017 - 7:53 pm

<p>Crazy Chicken you've got the retro computing bug. </p><p><br></p><p>If I may, the above tutorial is off base. I wouldn't mess with the colors or the backgrounds or start menu add ons or even virtualization. The best way to do this IMO is run Windows 7 on the actual hardware it was designed for. Even some of the gaudy case designs from that era add to the experience!</p><p><br></p><p>And then check out some LGR. Cheers!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC