Windows 11 – January 2022

Has anyone here upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

I am still using Windows 10 across all of my machines. I really cannot see any compelling or justifiable reason to upgrade!

Windows 10 is stable and works perfectly.

Conversation 12 comments

• snow.steve22

Premium Member
    13 January, 2022 - 9:09 pm

<p>The Windows 11 security drum-beat is starting. In the DEV channel, additional features are beginning to take shape. The one that caught my eye is "Core Isolation" which uses virtualization-based security to protect high-security processes. For now, mine is not working since all the drivers need to be aware of the requirements and one of mine is a little behind the times. Should be interesting to watch…</p>

• crp0908

14 January, 2022 - 3:48 pm

<p>According to Michael Niehaus, Windows 11 has no new significant security features.</p><p>oofhours.com/2021/12/29/whats-new-in-windows-11-part-1</p>

• dftf

17 January, 2022 - 12:40 pm

<p>You can do <strong>Core Isolation </strong>right-now in <em>Windows 10</em>; providing all your drivers are compatible, just double-click the "Windows Security" icon, next to where the time is to bring the <em>Windows Security </em>app up. Then in it, go to "Device Security" then click "Core isolation details". From the next screen, you can turn "Memory integrity" on.</p><p><br></p><p>Unless you have a recent CPU, turning it on will incur a performance-hit though. I think the only difference in <em>Windows 11</em> is that they are now considering shipping it "on" by default, on CPUs where there will be no-noticable performance-impact.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    14 January, 2022 - 5:17 am

<p>Still on 10, no plans currently to change up. I will watch as development proceeds, and adjust my plans accordingly as required. I dont really see a need to move up. Of the devices in my household, only two meet the hardware compliance specs anyway, both of which are daily drivers.</p>

• dftf

17 January, 2022 - 12:42 pm

<p>None of my personal machines currently do, but all perform fine for me. And given <em>Windows 10 </em>support will continue until at-least October 2025, no need for me to rush. Might as well look for a new machine nearer that time, than get one now.</p><p><br></p><p>Another option is to install the <em>Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 </em>release — support for that ends 9 Jan 2029!</p>

• navarac

14 January, 2022 - 6:48 am

<p>"Upgraded to Windows 11" should read "downgraded to Windows 11" :-). I get the impression, especially with Pluton on the horizon, that Microsoft is in the process of stealing the "IBM/PC Compatible" for exclusive Windows use. I’ve gone to Linux except for one W10 gaming rig.</p>

• JustDavid

14 January, 2022 - 10:19 am

<p>Running 11 since Day 1on three PCs, two that meet requirements, and one that doesn’t (Gen 7 CPU). Love it, and no issues on any of the three.</p>

• abrarey

14 January, 2022 - 2:17 pm

<p>Only have W11 installed in one of my systems and not the primary one. Unsupported HW works fine. I don’t see a compelling reason for moving the other systems yet. Even though I have no issues so far but the start menu, taskbar, and a few more annoyances, at least for me not worthy yet.</p>

• christianwilson

Premium Member
    14 January, 2022 - 9:55 pm

<p>I upgraded my desktop and laptop and everything has been fine. For my needs, Windows 11 has been a fine upgrade. It doesn’t feel complete yet, but I’m not missing Windows 10.</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    16 January, 2022 - 8:56 pm

<p>Been there. Done it. Went back to Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC. Freedom at last. </p>

• dftf

17 January, 2022 - 12:46 pm

<p>And support until 9 Jan 2029, also… nearly two years more than the current LTSC, based-off the 21H2 mainstream release</p>

• dmitryko

22 January, 2022 - 3:43 am

<p>Tried Windows <s>10X</s> 11 for about 11 minutes, went "WTF!!?" 11 times.</p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Its dumbed-down </span>touch-based UI would be fine with about <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">11% of all users, even though it was designed for 11-year olds with a 11" ChromeOS toy tablet.</span></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC