Windows 11 on a Pentium 4!

According to Notebook Check, someone actually installed Windows 11 on a 2006 Pentium 4 661 processor!

Windows Update worked too, according to the article.

Link

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-11-hardware-requirements-made-a-mockery-of-by-an-Intel-Pentium-4-processor.573808.0.html

Conversation 14 comments

• erichk

Premium Member
    19 October, 2021 - 5:35 pm

<p>In my retro collection I have a Pentium 4 machine … runs W98 SE though. ;-)</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 3:02 am

<p>I am sorry but I am tired of this conversation surrounding Windows 11 hardware support. For once Microsoft looked forward and made a clear commitment as to what they are supporting. They left a product fully supported in the market for the people left behind. </p><p><br></p><p>Windows 11 is clearly getting some kind of hardware protected application sandbox features coming down the line. For that to work, they need to set the baseline high, otherwise you have people whining about that. To ease the transition, they are backporting some key features to Windows 10 to stop segmentation. </p><p><br></p><p>I am sure you will find a story of Windows XP running on a microwave somewhere as well. It is cute, but it is not proof of the Gotcha everyone is claiming it to be. </p>

• navarac

20 October, 2021 - 3:54 am

<p>I have to agree, albeit I admit to being anti-W11. I reckon we’ve all kicked this subject to death now.</p>

• StevenLayton

20 October, 2021 - 4:33 am

<p>Nah, I think its got a few more months of life left in it yet. I bought this tinfoil hat especially to take part in the Windows 11 conversation, I want to get my moneys worth out of that investment ;)</p>

• polloloco51

20 October, 2021 - 8:41 am

<p>I agree, it is a somewhat tired story.</p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft did completely bungle the Windows 11 announcement, with poor communication Then, dropped the arbitrary processor generation requirements layer, confounding everyone. </p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft to this day, still has not fully explained in-depth, the processor generation requirements! They still say on the official requirements page, a "compatible 64 Bit Processor".</p><p><br></p><p>The TPM and Secure Boot requirements are completely understandable. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Greg Green

20 October, 2021 - 9:57 am

<p>But they didn’t make a clear commitment. They’ve fudged several times on it already.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
      21 October, 2021 - 1:43 am

<p>I understand what Microsoft is trying to accomplish by drawing a line in terms of what Windows 11 will support, but clear isn’t the word I would use to describe it. </p>

• scj123

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 3:25 am

<p>I’ve never managed to get my microwave beyond WindowsME</p>

• polloloco51

20 October, 2021 - 8:28 am

<p>I have a 2000-ish Compaq Presario I always wanted to get onto Windows XP from ME. Unfortunately, it had a broken display, and time just marched on!</p><p><br></p><p>Windows XP was night and day better, than any of the 9x line. </p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
      20 October, 2021 - 1:57 pm

<p>Mine runs Alexa :)</p>

• spacein_vader

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 4:33 am

<p>Someone got the original Doom running on a digital pregnancy test. There’s a whole community who enjoy the challenge of getting it to run on obscure hardware. </p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 5:21 pm

<p>I like Boom, which can be found in FreeDOS.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC