Review of the Dell Chromebook 11 3120

Recently I bought a used Dell Chromebook 11 3120, in anticipation of Android apps being released. I am a mainly Windows user, and I was intriqued by the merging of Android, and Chrome OS.

Dell Chromebook 11 3120

Design  

The Dell Chromebook 11 3120, isn’t going to win any beauty pageants anytime soon. It is a all black and grey design, which I like because it’s business like. The materials are high quality plastic, and feel like they will stand up to a lot of abuse. Dell says the Dell Chromebook 11 is military spec rated and should stand up to water, dust, drop impact etc.  It also comes with a built in activity light designed for students in a classroom environment.  

Portability  

The Dell Chromebook 11 is pretty light, weighing under 3 pounds, and is pretty thin as well. It is light and thin enough to be carried around comfortably.  

Performance  

The Dell Chromebook 11 is pretty snappy. When you open the lid, it turns on instantly. The model I have has a Intel N2840, which is like a trimmed down i3. It has 4GB of ram, and a 16GB of storage. The speakers sound pretty good.  

Keyboard  

The keyboard is alright to type on, and is good for especially student typing essays. it is nowhere near the quality of my Lenovo X1 carbon’s keyboard.  

Display  

The display on the Dell Chromebook 11 is a 1366×768 TN display. It is good for all-around things like web browsing, etc. However, if you are looking to use it for photography, you’ll need to go elsewhere.  

Ports  

The Dell Chromebook 11 3120 comes with 2 USB ports, 1 HDMI port, audio jack, an SD card reader and a Kensington lock, which is nice.  

Software  

The Dell Chromebook 11 comes with Chrome OS, that is just the Chrome browser basically, but with added system functions. The Dell Chromebook comes with a toggle for the activity built in light that’s designed for students for the classroom. The light features 3 color lights, one for students raising their hand, question, and discussion.  
Price: 
The Dell Chromebook 11 3120 is configuable on Dell’s website, and starts off at around $220 for the 2GB RAM model, and goes up to around $300 for the touchscreen IPS model with 4GB of ram.  

Overall  

The Dell Chromebook 11 3120 is an excellent, solid Chromebook for students, business users or anyone seeking a second computer.  If you however require specific Windows software and do alot of offline related work, you will need to buy a Windows laptop. 

Conversation 5 comments

Premium Member
    29 September, 2016 - 1:57 pm

<p>Neat, thanks for posting.</p>

30 September, 2016 - 12:16 pm

<p>As I understand it Andromeda is released 2nd quarter next year. Are you sure your device will be able to be upgraded? If you weren’t desperate for it I would have waited until Google explains it more. Like the review BTW, nice work :)&nbsp;</p>

30 September, 2016 - 7:19 pm

<p>Yes, according to this,&nbsp;(https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps?visit_id=1-636108753937589860-73464224&amp;rd=1), it will be getting Android apps sometime this year or next year.</p>

04 October, 2016 - 5:57 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#16627">In reply to polloloco51:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>OK, no worries then. I’m looking forward to see what Andromeda has to offer.</p>

18 October, 2016 - 9:45 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#16627">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/polloloco51">polloloco51</a><a href="#16627">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>I think that link is to chromebooks supporting android apps; I am not sure that means they will also be upgradeable to the Andromeda OS.&nbsp; I have not seen any statement from Google on potential upgrades for any product.&nbsp; So if Andomeda is a requirement, I would wait until something more definitive is said.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC