Nexus 5 replacement for October 2016

Hi,

I want a “pure Google” replacement for my Nexus 5, but the Pixel, although ideal, is too expensive at £599.  I never bough the 5X because of the poor battery life – which is a priority for me.

My shortlist just now is just a Oneplus 3 (£329).  But are there others I’m missing?

I feel like Google is taking a step backwards in terms of getting their pure Google message out there.  I got a new Samsung A5 2016 phone at work recently.  Its a beautiful phone, but the customisations to Android are awful, confusing and unncecessary.  I installed Google Now Launcher which helped a bit though.

I dont think this is just me asking, there must be lots of others feeling the same today.

Conversation 14 comments

05 October, 2016 - 12:07 pm

<p>After yesterday’s announcement, I ordered a Motorola X Pure (Style/Play) to replace my Nexus 5. &nbsp;That was supposed to be a pure Android experience, but probably won’t get updates as quickly. &nbsp;Also not sure if it’s available in the UK still.</p>

05 October, 2016 - 3:20 pm

<p>I am currently using the OnePlus2 with a custom ROM and I am happy with it. &nbsp;I warmly recommend the OnePlus 3 model. With a custom launcher you can get a clean and easy to use interface.&nbsp;</p>

06 October, 2016 - 2:31 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#18846">In reply to ctataru:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Thanks. &nbsp;I was going to install the "Google Now" launcher on it… is there anything better you recommend?</p>

Premium Member
    06 October, 2016 - 2:05 pm

<p>OP3 for me.&nbsp; Purchased at launch a few months ago and happy with choice.&nbsp; They have been pushing updates every few weeks, but no news about Nougat if that is important to you.</p>
    <p>Honor 8 and ZTE Axon 7 are in the same price range.&nbsp; Check androidcentral or other sites for comparisons. If you want basic android, OP3 is likely your choice.&nbsp; OP focuses their development efforts on supporting features unique to hardware — like the notification Off – Priority – On switch.</p>

07 October, 2016 - 4:38 am

<p>I’m in exactly the same position as you. I love my N5, but it’s nearly 3 years old, and 16GB storage is getting very tight. Pixel is also too expensive for me (and too ‘Iphone looking’ as well if I’m honest), so I’m also looking at the OnePlus 3 which is near stock Android, or at a push, picking up a Nexus 6P before it goes eol, but this might just be too big (I haven’t seen one in the flesh yet). The Moto’s are good phones too, with a near stock experience, so I might look there too. Not too interested in Huawei though, although they get pretty good reviews. I did briefly consider the 5X earlier in the year, but it’s not really much of an upgrade technically from the N5.</p>

15 October, 2016 - 5:52 am

<p>OnePlus 3 seems to be the standard suggestion to this type of question.</p>
    <p>But what’s the best option if you want a 5" phone instead of 5.5"?</p>

08 December, 2016 - 2:51 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#20888">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/ozaz">ozaz</a><a href="#20888">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>A bit underpowered, but maybe a Moto G?</p>

07 December, 2016 - 8:34 am

<p>Belated reply. &nbsp;</p>
    <p>I did get a OP3, and have been using it for about 5 weeks. &nbsp;It is a delightful phone, and I’ve had no problems at all with it. &nbsp;I do find it slightly too big for my hand, however, which increases the risk of me dropping it, and when its out of its case it is incredibly slippery. &nbsp;Battery life is OK, certainly no worse than the Sony xperia Z2 it replaced. &nbsp;Screen is great. &nbsp;Recommended highly. &nbsp;I think its a shame the 3T has had a 20% price increase, but it still looks good.</p>
    <p>I installed the Google Now Launcher to make it more Nexus-like, and got a brilliant car holder called the Spigen Steath Universal Car holder. &nbsp;That combined with Android Auto is a pretty slick solution in an older car.</p>

Premium Member
    07 December, 2016 - 8:37 am

<p>I wasn’t aware of battery life issues with the 5X, but I would have said that was a great upgrade … a year or six months ago.</p>
    <p>Today, the Pixel is SO expensive compared to what you would have paid for the 5 or 5X. It’s a bit depressing.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>I’d look at Motorola’s phones. Or OnePlus. I guess. I wish there was a clearer choice.</p>

08 December, 2016 - 1:56 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#28985">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/paul-thurrott">Paul Thurrott</a><a href="#28985">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Yeah, I’ve got no complaints about battery life on my 5X. It easily gets me through a full day, from wake up to bedtime. The only time I’ve had "serious" battery issues (like, I’d be at 50% in less than 2 hours) was app-related, or sometimes "Android OS" related. Removing the offending app and/or re-booting clears it right up. And with fast charging, you can go from 30% to&nbsp;well over 50% in no time.</p>

08 December, 2016 - 12:52 pm

<p>OnePlus 3 (Now OnePlus 3T) are a good option. But I think also Vernee is a interesting option. A relativly new Chinese brand that using "stock android" with basicly no modifications. They have been good on software updates and I think most of their models will get android 7.0 in december.</p>
    <p>They have just released a flagship Vernee Apollo for $299. I suppose we will see some real review of it soon.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC