Outlook spam

What is it with Outlook and spam lately?

Like the last 2 months it have gotten worse.

I get like 5 spam coming into my inbox daily. Even though I make it as junk, then block it, the next day it’s back in my inbox.

Sometimes I get mail sent to my junk folder, that is clearly no spam. And I have to mark it as a safe sender. At least that is easy to do now.

I sometimes get stuff from Microsoft sent to my junk folder. Even stuff that always made it to my inbox that was not spam, it will just one day, mark it as spam.

Conversation 13 comments

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    28 October, 2019 - 5:34 pm

<p>Having the same issue as well.</p>

• miamimauler

29 October, 2019 - 2:42 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484226">In reply to brad-sams:</a></em></blockquote><p>Use GMail Brad. You will be much happier.</p><p><br></p><p>Now let's see how many down votes this little truth nugget can rack up.</p>

• ecumenical

29 October, 2019 - 3:24 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484327">In reply to miamimauler:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Well, you're mistaking an opinion for a "truth nugget," so don't be shocked when other people disagree. And Gmail is certainly on a long downward slide in terms of its design, as Paul and many others have noted. Ironically enough, they desperately want to turn it into Outlook but have half-assed it into a poorer state than either the older design or Outlook itself.</p>

• miamimauler

29 October, 2019 - 4:51 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484334">In reply to ecumenical:</a></em></blockquote><p>Design? This is about the increased spam on Outlook in recent times.</p><p><br></p><p>You didn't even address the Outlook spam issue. That in itself is telling. Your defense of this by attacking GMail is noted.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
        29 October, 2019 - 7:51 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484327">In reply to miamimauler:</a></em></blockquote><p>It's may be a nugget, but it's not true. Google isn't any better at this than Microsoft is. I have multiple accounts on both services.</p>

• simard57

29 October, 2019 - 7:56 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484368">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>the Spammers are not idiots – they know how to adapt as well to spam filters. it will be one of life's irritants like we used to see our mailbox stuffed with unwanted ads (that is USPS mail not email). At least those days cost the spammer more.</p>

• minke

29 October, 2019 - 5:02 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#484368">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Not my experience. I have had accounts with both Gmail and Outlook.com since near launch and Gmail is far, far better at spam. Almost never get spam in my Gmail inbox and very few false positives in the spam folder.</p>

• Lordbaal

29 October, 2019 - 10:27 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#484327">In reply to miamimauler:</a></em></blockquote><p>I switched from gmail years ago, because I get thousands of spams a day.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    29 October, 2019 - 5:35 am

<p>I'm not seeing any spam in my account.</p><p>But my GMail is filling up with spam – but that is to be expected, it is only used for product registrations, whereas my Outlook is used for real mail.</p>

• kcarson97404

Premium Member
    29 October, 2019 - 2:45 pm

<p>Yes, I have the same experience. Spam in my outlook inbox has gotten much worse over the last couple of weeks.</p>

• garythornberry

Premium Member
    29 October, 2019 - 4:01 pm

<p>I've noted this issue, too. For about a year, Hotmail was much better at handling spam (remember the Lull Mattresses). Now it has returned to its old ways. Since I've had Hotmail for 20 years, my spam dump is more than a 100 emails/day. It would seem that somebody at Microsoft would have the smarts to fix this issue.</p>

• jerry_maguire

17 December, 2020 - 7:25 am

<p>The Junk Email Filter checks your incoming email messages automatically, however, you can adjust its settings to give the filter some hits about what should be considered spam.</p><p><br></p><ol><li>Choose the spam protection level right for you</li><li>Prevent legitimate e-mails from getting into the Junk folder</li><li>Why Blocked Senders list is not the best way to stop junk mail</li><li>Block unwanted mail in foreign languages</li><li>Choose the spam protection level right for you</li><li>Prevent good emails to be treated as junk</li></ol><p><br></p><p>Hope this was helpful.</p><p><br></p><p>Best,</p><p>Jerry.</p><p><br></p>

• dftf

17 December, 2020 - 11:26 am

<p>I have noticed an increase of spam/junk e-mails in the last couple of months, and have to say the biggest increase I'm seeing are ones that pretend to be from a US government body (such as FBI or CIA), appear to come from an @gmail.com address, and link to a Google Forms they ask you to fill in.</p><p><br></p><p>I do report the e-mails on Google's "I would like to report a Gmail user who has sent messages that violate the Gmail Program Policies and/or Terms of Use" page, but it's really tedious as the Outlook app on phone doesn't provide the message-headers. Plus, how much action Google actually take from that form I have no-idea.</p><p><br></p><p>It would be so-much better if they just had a simple "[email protected]" you could forward them to…</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC