Prospective MS 365 Business Basic buyer has some questions.

G’day 🙂

As a self-employed person, I’m looking to move my custom domain from Google Workspace to another email host, and am attracted by the 1TB of cloud storage that would make Microsoft 365 Business Basic Compare All Microsoft Office Products | Microsoft Office a good deal for me, since I need both hosted email + calendar + contacts, and cloud storage, anyway. I don’t really care about the Office web apps – and aren’t they free, anyway?

But I do have a few of queries before I pull the trigger:

Will there be any issue buying the above plan with a pre-existing MS account registered with an email address of the current domain I want to move over?

Can I add additional custom domains later, without buying additional Exchange mailboxes?

Do I get any useful import tools to easily move my email, calendar, reminders, tasks, and contacts over from Google Workspace?

TIA 🙂

Conversation 7 comments

• simont

Premium Member
    07 December, 2020 - 11:34 am

<ol><li>You may run into some weird issue using the same current domain, better to use a different one (Even something like an outlook.com address). You can then set the new same email address later to be the Global Administrator. But it is possible</li><li>You can have multiple domain names</li><li>There are paid apps from other vendors that do a better job. One problem I found that if you just use Exchange to grab all the emails from the Google, it doesn't do Archived emails. Using the mailbox export is also a problem</li></ol>

• minke

07 December, 2020 - 6:05 pm

<p>Microsoft Outlook has some sort of problem with not migrating Archived emails from Google and other systems, including Fastmail. I have struggled with this a lot and can advise that the best method I have found is to move mail from Google Archive to a separate label first. You can call it something like "My Archive" if you want just to remind you what it is. Outlook will import your email that has its own created label, but not the archived email. Otherwise, I have found that migrating email, contacts, and calendars from Google to MS works fairly well with the regular MS tools. I currently use both Workspace and Microsoft at work. IMHO Gmail is far, far better than Microsoft's email, and Google Domains is very reliable. Otherwise, most of us do need to use MS Office documents, so not having to convert things all the time is great. OneDrive storage works OK, though syncing can be slow and unreliable at times. When you first move files over you may find lots of files that don't sync if you have the wrong file names. OneDrive is picky about what you can name files. When we migrated our files from Google to Microsoft I spent days manually renaming all sorts of files.</p>

• arnstarr

08 December, 2020 - 6:59 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#598419">In reply to Minke:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>the only real pickiness I see for file names is having a space character at the beginning or end of a file name.</p>

• waethorn

08 December, 2020 - 12:52 pm

<p>You should probably contact a Microsoft cloud service reseller or talk to Microsoft directly to make sure things go smoothly.</p>

• arnstarr

08 December, 2020 - 6:57 pm

<p>Your existing MS Account won’t conflict with an Office 365 Business email address of the same name. They are stored in different directory services. When signing in you will be presented with a choice of: Personal,or, Work or School. </p><p>You can add as many custom domains as you want, and associate then with Shared inboxes which are free of charge.</p><p>Microsoft do provide some data migration tools for email and files. They are highlighted in the Office 365 admin console.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    09 December, 2020 - 3:39 am

<p><strong><em><u>Will there be any issue buying the above plan with a pre-existing MS account registered with an email address of the current domain I want to move over?</u></em></strong></p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">So here's the confusing part to understand, but we'll go through with with examples.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">When you login to anything Microsoft related, you will be asked two options, <strong>Personal </strong>or <strong>Work</strong>. </p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>Personal </strong>will take you to the MS account services, which after the transition will mainly be for Xbox and perhaps Teams for Friends and Family (when ever that sorts itself out)</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1"><strong>Work </strong>will take you to your M365 Business services, this is the option you would always select. The URL is usually <strong>*.office.com, </strong>so services like outlook will be <strong>outlook.office.com</strong>, I personally always go to <strong>portal.office.com</strong> to avoid any confusion from Personal and Work versions of M365.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">Secondly, you will need to update your <strong>MX</strong> records, this will tell your domain host to send all new emails to the M365 Business <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> </span><strong style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">outlook.office.com </strong>inbox instead of the MS account <strong style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">outlook.com </strong><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">inbox.</span></p><p><br></p><p><strong><em><u>Can I add additional custom domains later, without buying additional Exchange mailboxes?</u></em></strong></p><p><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">Yes, you can. You can set aliases as well for the same account, for example I have a <strong>.works</strong> domain for my main business account, some third party service don't like <strong>.works</strong> as a valid domain.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">So I have added a <strong>.com</strong> domain as well to the same account and created an alias for myself, so people can email with both, the <strong>.works</strong> and<strong> .com</strong> email addresses. </p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">Also remember that you need to update the MX record for these domains. All of this is in guided steps from the M365 Admin center.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">You can set up shared mailboxes, so these are just email boxes, they don't have other M365 features but they are just email inboxes that you can access that are separate from your account, that also doesn't need any additional licenses. </p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">I've done the same, I've created <strong>purchases@, twitter@, ebay@ etc,</strong> shared mailboxes, and so all those emails go to those inboxes instead of mine.</p><p class="ql-indent-1"><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">These have no additional cost, and also you can send from those email addresses as well.</p><p><br></p><p><strong style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><em><u>Do I get any useful import tools to easily move my email, calendar, reminders, tasks, and contacts over from Google Workspace?</u></em></strong></p><p><br></p><p class="ql-indent-1">In the admin center you can use the built in migration process to migrate from GSuite, Gmail, other M365 / Exchange, outlook.com and other services as well.</p>

• jerry_maguire

17 December, 2020 - 7:11 am

<p>The answers are yes. Here's how:</p><p><br></p><p>After you create your directory, you can add your custom domain name.</p><ol><li>Sign in to the Azure portal using a Global administrator account for the directory.</li><li>Search for and select Azure Active Directory from any page. Then select Custom domain names &gt; Add a custom domain.</li><li>In the Custom domain name, enter your organization's new name. Select Add domain.</li><li>Save this information. You need it later to create a TXT record to configure DNS.</li><li>Add your DNS information to the domain registrar.</li><li>Verify your custom domain name</li></ol><p><br></p><p>Hope this helps you.</p><p><br></p><p>Best,</p><p>Jerry.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC