Xbox Cloud Gaming on Windows 11

I give Xbox Cloud Gaming a test every couple of weeks to see if performance has improved. I’ve used an iPhone, iPad Pro, Edge on Windows 10, and the Xbox app on Windows 10. Up to now, it has been unplayable for me. Noticeable input lag, poor video quality, and constant audio skipping all work together to ruin the experience.

My Thinkpad got upgraded to Windows 11 over the weekend and I wanted to give Xbox Cloud Gaming a try. I tested the game Haven on 5 GHz WiFi using the Xbox app and one of my Xbox Controllers via Bluetooth. This game was unplayable just a day before on my iPhone. On Windows 11 with the Xbox app? Complete turn around. The video stream was stable, the audio was clear, and the input latency was minimal to the point where I wasn’t noticing a difference from playing on my Xbox One. I played Haven for about an hour, zooming around the landscapes and engaging in some battles. In short, I stopped testing and just let myself enjoy the game. There were three moments where the game paused due to a “lost connection to server” but each time the problem cleared up after two or three seconds.

I’ll keep playing around, but I’m curious if anyone has noticed the drastic improvement in Xbox Cloud Gaming performance using the Xbox app on Windows 11. Or Windows 10, for that matter. It’s possible it has more to do with a recent update to the Xbox app that I failed to test before my OS upgrade.

Conversation 3 comments

• Greg Green

04 November, 2021 - 10:07 pm

<p>Thanks for the info, maybe I need to take this more seriously as a gaming option.</p>

• martinusv2

Premium Member
    04 November, 2021 - 11:21 pm

<p>I tried on my rig. It’s not playable with the Xbox app for me. The video refresh rate is extremely bad. But from the browser it’s ok. Still have some input lag with the browser. So still not for me. I am happy that for you it is working well.</p>

• najinup

06 November, 2021 - 6:27 am

<p>thanls</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC