a Surface Pro 7 support story

I purchased a Surface Pro 7 bundle back in Feb from COSTCO. It stopped charging using the Microsoft Charge. It would charge using USB but not the charger it came with or with one I had in hand from my SP4.

I contacted the COSTCO Concierge service to see my options. They put me in touch with Microsoft support and I was sent a new charger. When I tested the new charger, I had the same symptoms. Called COSTCO again and went the same route with MS sending me a replacement charger (#2). I also purchased a third-party charger on Amazon because I was going away and did not want to be without a charger. The Amazon charger arrived 1st and it worked fine — interesting.

when the 2nd charger arrived – I tested it and it too did not work so I started to suspect the problem was with the SP7. I again called the Costco Concierge service, and this is where it got interesting. Microsoft went to online support and did not answer calls from even Costco. Costco gave me contact info (phone and URL) and when I tried to get support, it reported my warrant had expired in October while I was trying to get this resolved.

The bottom line is the warranty date was when Costco was delivered the SP7s AND Costco failed to update the sales date. It took three calls to Costco before over 2+ weeks to succeed in getting in touch with Microsoft and getting the date reinstated and getting a replacement SP7. The charger I received from Amazon was one for the Surface Book – it was 127W. The SP7 charger is 64W.

I now have a new SP7 that charges with ALL my SP chargers, a Warranty through Dec 2022. While the outcome was good – it was crazy hard. I really do not know how I would have succeeded if not for Costco because the only path open with MS was to pay for support because I saw no way to contest the sales date. Alls well that ends well I guess!

Conversation 4 comments

• crunchyfrog

03 November, 2021 - 12:47 pm

<p>Costco does a pretty good job, however I always try to buy any Surface products directly from Microsoft and purchase their extended warranty when I do. I have found Surface products quality to be unpredictable. Some last a long time but others will just fail without any warning.</p>

• simard57

03 November, 2021 - 9:41 pm

<p>I still have an operating SP3. I thought it died but it really was a bad power supply. I wone up with an HP 360 – and that was a nightmare (see some of my past posts) — perhaps it is me but I hope not!</p><p><br></p>

• angusmatheson

04 November, 2021 - 12:51 am

<p>I bought a surface pro 7 with type Covid 12/19. It worked great until 12/20 until the type cover stopped working. I called Microsoft. They had me reset the firm wear. I called again. They had me wipe the computer. I called again and they had me do more diagnostics. I finally found a friend who had a surface type cover and put it on my surface and it worked great. I called surface and said it was a hardware issue. By then it was March and many hours had been spent in call after call. They said it was not out of its 1 year warranty and I could buy a new cover, there was no other option. I told them I started calling in December, they said it was now March that is what mattered. It wasn’t really the money it was all the hours they made me waste on updates, reinstalling firmware, wiping my entire computer.</p>

• jwpear

Premium Member
    12 November, 2021 - 10:43 am

<p>I’ve had great support experiences with Costco. I have purchased multiple appliances from them because they extend the warranty. This has come in handy because it seems like most appliances are crap these days, regardless of price.</p><p><br></p><p>I have been tempted to purchase computers from Costco because they offer an extra year of warranty, but their configuration choices or stock are often limited. </p><p><br></p><p>Glad to hear they stood buy you, even if it was more work than you liked.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC