Is Rapid Hybrid Drive a NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD?

I have found this little gem in Microsoft Surface Studio advert. Check it out…

Join the discussion!

BECOME A THURROTT MEMBER:

Don't have a login but want to join the conversation? Become a Thurrott Premium or Basic User to participate

Register
6 Comments
Sort by Votes | Date
  1. 0 | Reply
    Polycrastinator Alpha Member #163 - 1 month ago

Paul mentioned in either First Ring or Windows Weekly that it's a spinning drive with an SSD component, similar to Apple's Fusion Drive. Honestly at this price, like the 8GB RAM in the base Studio model, that's enormously disappointing.

2. 0 | Reply
    bukem Alpha Member #2484 - 1 month ago

It doesn't look like Hybrid HDD to me but type of PCIe M.2 SSD.

Screenshot taken from the advert:

Samsung NVM PCIe SSD for comparision:

Samsung NVMe SSD

1. 0 | Reply
      kitron Alpha Member #1895 - 1 month ago
      In reply to bukem:

That definitely looks like a M.2 connector.  We have all these websites reporting on specs but nobody has bothered to get the full details. Things like which skylake version is included, storge type, ram speed etc.

2. 0 | Reply
      ecumenical - 1 month ago
      In reply to bukem:

I wondered about this too. It's very bizarre - the video clearly shows an SSD, not a spinning disk, but then why not just call it an SSD? And I've never heard of a hybrid drive that had entirely separate interfaces to the motherboard for the SSD cache and the spinning disk components.

Would be nice to get a definitive statement on this. I think most of what we're reading are just reporters' assumptions about the meaning of "rapid hybrid drive."

3. 0 | Reply
      Polycrastinator Alpha Member #163 - 1 month ago
      In reply to ecumenical:

Lenovo has - or had - a whole line of laptops and desktops that had that configuration, separate SSD and HDD components. They used a software component to make it work, ExpressCache I think it was called. There was also an Intel technology that did the same with 2 separate devices that was built into their RAID hardware.

4. 0 | Reply
      ecumenical - 1 month ago
      In reply to Polycrastinator:

Hmm, that's interesting. Could be what's going on here.